Views on Negotiating for New Vehicle

You might be best off to bifurcate the deals in their mind... tell them that since I'm paying full MSRP for the Maverick that I would like to get a discount on the spray-in bedliner.

Another thing to remember is that with the truck purchase you get a number of Ford points that can be used towards your bedliner purchase.

You might be best off to bifurcate the deals in their mind... tell them that since I'm paying full MSRP for the Maverick that I would like to get a discount on the spray-in bedliner.

Another thing to remember is that with the truck purchase you get a number of Ford points that can be used towards your bedliner purchase.

Yep, Ford Pass Points. Of course, I try to use them for oil changes and I'm still after the best deal I can make. I will do my negotiating before I pick it up and then everyone is on the same page no games.

Doing my haggling early will give me more time/options and they can have time to do what they want to. A little more time for me to think about it and maybe I won't take it in the end.

This will be used somewhat on the ranch and box/bed gets a lot of use with hauling scrap iron to firewood etc. Fender wells and sides would be damaged terrible if it was spray on linah (denting). I have had them in many trucks never had had any issues of rust or rubbing issue. My ranch truck is coming on 20 years old and has a drop in bed liner. I took it out last summer and the bed looks like it came off of the show floor. Just like new inside entire box and it has hauled a lot of abusive material.

Last edited:
Call the sales Lady I have been dealing with and did get confirmation that the price is MSRP nothing will be added no hidden costs that will the price. I told her about the 500$ voucher and she knew about that and that 500$ will be taken off the MSRP.

I than ask if they would throw in a drop-in bed liner. She said she check with her sales manager and let me know.

They will not be out the 500$ they will get that money from FBIF. So, any deduction for them would be a wholesale cost to them for the bed liner which will about 275$.

We will see where it all shakes out at but had a great up-front visit and a relationship started with some great communication.

As far as writing up the final price and sending it to me they will wait a week or so before they get the vehicle then she will contact me to get the paperwork done. I get that so all in all the talks when well.

Shocked they ordered without a firm price but I've never ordered so what do I know. . .

I've never had what I would call a "good" experience at a dealer either. Probably good since it keeps me from trading as often as I might otherwise like.

I had to do the ex's car negotiation as he is "nicer" than me . . . IDGA* and will walk. Plenty of other places to buy.

Last edited:
Thank you Mr. VanWinkle and the same to you. I dislike dealing with purchasing an outfit. Worse than going to the dentist.

No way I'm paying more than msrp. We are set on that price now, but I will try to negotiate some from msrp. I have the 500$ voucher for starts.

You always want to negotiate from invoice - any known dealer rebates - any extra incentives you have (like the $500). Negotiating from MSRP is what they want you to do.

That particular truck is in high demand...I ordered mine and it took a year for it to be built and delivered... there is no way.to buy one for any less than MSRP.

That particular truck is in high demand...I ordered mine and it took a year for it to be built and delivered... there is no way.to buy one for any less than MSRP.
Yep, I have tried, and you just can't find them less than MSRP. I was looking for US wide and called on some and a lot where above MSRP.

At some point that won't be the case but for this year they are holding their valve plus.

Yep, I have tried, and you just can't find them less than MSRP. I was looking for US wide and called on some and a lot where above MSRP.

At some point that won't be the case but for this year they are holding their valve plus.

It has gotten a little better since we bought our 2022 Highlander Hybrid in Dec 2021. At that time it was luck of the draw if you caught them on the phone when they got notified one was coming in and you agreed to come right in for it as soon as it arrived. You also got no choice of dealer options...they piled them on and you accepted all of them or the next person would.

We had no choice at the time but to get a new car. Had already put a new transmission into a 4 yr old Ford Escape with just over 60k miles (the warranty limit) and were again approaching the end of the 60k warranty on the replacement transmission. We were not willing to consider putting yet another one into it, so had to get rid of it. Apparently Escape transmissions are well known as problem areas (learned that lesson a bit late).

We lived in VT at the time and there was nothing to be had in New England or New York (salesman initially said 2 months, then during negotiations slipped and said "when your car arrives in 6-months"). Fortunately our daughter lived in Ohio and we found one there after several weeks of looking.

[/B]

Yep, Ford Pass Points. Of course, I try to use them for oil changes and I'm still after the best deal I can make. I will do my negotiating before I pick it up and then everyone is on the same page no games.

Doing my haggling early will give me more time/options and they can have time to do what they want to. A little more time for me to think about it and maybe I won't take it in the end.

This will be used somewhat on the ranch and box/bed gets a lot of use with hauling scrap iron to firewood etc. Fender wells and sides would be damaged terrible if it was spray on linah (denting). I have had them in many trucks never had had any issues of rust or rubbing issue. My ranch truck is coming on 20 years old and has a drop in bed liner. I took it out last summer and the bed looks like it came off of the show floor. Just like new inside entire box and it has hauled a lot of abusive material.

Seems to me that would be before the order.

Is this an order for their dealer stock or did you specific color, options, etc? If you specified configuration, can you get out of the order without a penalty?

So, I have an ordered vehicle that is in the built status and will be shipped and delivered of the week of April 21st to 27th.

I have a certificate for 500$ for a credit towards this vehicle I can use at time of purchase. This a from Farm Bureau Insurance Benefit program they have for being a member and insurance holder.

I also will try to negotiate some on the cost of purchase or have some accessories added into the deal.

This vehicle has been hard to purchase/get because of low build rate and been sought after, so price of them has been in most cases been a lot more than MSRP listing. They asked me yesterday someone has already wanted to buy the vehicle I have special ordered, and it hasn't even left Mexico yet! Lol There are many that have ordered them and still waiting after 15 months from order date.

So, my question is after some history on the question. Should I deal right now on an etched/final purchased price through emails and phone calls. Or should I try to work the deal when I walk in the door to buy the vehicle. The voucher for 500$ I will tell them the next time I talk to the salesperson so not hidden hoops to jump through of the day of.

So, make the deal and final purchase price before or wait:confused: Where do I have the most leverage. Any views, angles, tips and suggestions please give me your negotiating skills.

Thanks
Sounds like you ordered a new Maverick. When I ordered mine and it arrived, my price was the MSRP off the order sheet. No hassle, no markup. Dealers were getting in trouble with Ford for marking up the ordered trucks. They can add the markup to an ordered vehicle if you decide not to take delivery. I had a veterans voucher for $500 and they took that off the MSRP.

Seems to me that would be before the order.

Is this an order for their dealer stock or did you specific color, options, etc? If you specified configuration, can you get out of the order without a penalty?

Yes, special ordered. I can get out of it if I want too. I didn't have to put any money and they actually like when you don't take them. Then they do jack the price up above MSRP or they can do that.

Sounds like you ordered a new Maverick. When I ordered mine and it arrived, my price was the MSRP off the order sheet. No hassle, no markup. Dealers were getting in trouble with Ford for marking up the ordered trucks. They can add the markup to an ordered vehicle if you decide not to take delivery. I had a veterans voucher for $500 and they took that off the MSRP.

Yes, dealers were getting some bad reputations and I read also Ford wasn't happy.

How do you like your Maverick??

Yes, dealers were getting some bad reputations and I read also Ford wasn't happy.

How do you like your Maverick??

I got the Lariat hybrid. I have about 5800 miles on it and avg over 40. I love it. Got an ARES bed cap for storage and getting the demco baseplate to tow it behind the RV.
I ordered it in Aug when the window opened, it was delivered late Nov and we picked it up in Dec. All paperwork (?) was done online. Great experience for once when buying a new vehicle.

It's too late. The lowest price they will take (as a courtesy) will be just slightly under what the other guy will pay. Negotiation 101: If you aren't willing to leave the table you're not negotiating, you're begging. That's where you are now.

Or they are bluffing (lying) as they know folks don't know.

It's literally like the salesman going to check with his manager, it's a lie.

I have ordered several vehicles. Spent time figuring the options I wanted and running the numbers. Knowing what the vehicle will cost/MSRP and then going to the dealers (or emailing them) to haggle a price. Everyone knows the numbers posted online is probably not the real numbers, too. If you get a dealer to put in your order at the negotiated price you then put money down. Then you wait. Could be months but you will be getting the exact vehicle and color built the way you want.

Back
Top Bottom