Wake up call...

prose3589

Recycles dryer sheets
I lost a dear friend and colleague this week. 49 years old. She was prepping for a trial on Sunday and died in her sleep. Left behind a husband and 3 young kids. She always worked too hard and gave her all. I am sad for her loss, but this has been a wake up call for me and other colleagues. I am getting back on my ER band wagon. I have really backslid lately.

Hope this forum holds me to task...

Sat in a room doing a budget with one of our managers today. He's 68 and knows he doesn't want to manage any longer but doesn't know what he would do if he retired. I asked him to consider his life as a yard stick and how many inches he has left. Perhaps more importantly, how many good ones.

Wish I could get more of our youngsters willing to participate in the retirement plan so they have options, even if they choose to continue working in their sixties.

Sorry about your colleague. That's one cold face slap for sure.

I buried my mom last month and my dad last week. They were 18 years older than me. In recent days, I've thought a lot about the years left to me.

Wow!

My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at age 62 and passed away at age 63. She had been perfectly healthy and very active - the cancer came up out of the blue. My Dad was turning 65 and retired just in time to care for her. I was the oldest of four children in our 20s and 30s at the time and as you can imagine it hit us all very hard.

My mother's passing before my parent retired was perhaps the strongest incentive for me to retire early. And I did.

Now I am feeling it very keenly, as I am turning 59 this year. I can't help but feel very aware at some gut level that my days might be numbered. I have developed some oddball health issues by now, but none are life threatening by any stretch (knock on wood!!!).

Still part of me finds it hard to look past the early sixties. That clock is ticking!!!

I buried my mom last month and my dad last week. They were 18 years older than me. In recent days, I've thought a lot about the years left to me.

So sorry ! I can not imagine how hard this was with your parents dying so close.

How many times has a thread like this been posted here! I guess folks that are still working and that are FI, just don't believe it can or will really happen to them or they must really love their job.

Last edited:
A while back I sat down and mapped my expected lifespan to the 24 hour clock and so used one day as a heuristic for my entire life. So, most of my young and adolescent years occurred between midnight and daybreak, university was 6-7:30 am and so forth.

Each hour is worth about 3.75 years if I remember correctly. At this point I am between 3 and 4 pm, with lights out at midnight. What happened to the morning and early afternoon? It flew by. This helps me keep things in perspective.

-BB

Sorry to hear of your losses. :(

So sorry that this is happening all at once. One loss at a time is hard enough.

I lost a dear friend and colleague this week. 49 years old. She was prepping for a trial on Sunday and died in her sleep. Left behind a husband and 3 young kids. She always worked too hard and gave her all. I am sad for her loss, but this has been a wake up call for me and other colleagues. I am getting back on my ER band wagon. I have really backslid lately.

Hope this forum holds me to task...

We know a few people dying in their early 60's. One of the influences in my decision to retire at 57. We only live once. No connections to my former workplace make it a lot easier.:greetings10:

A while back I sat down and mapped my expected lifespan to the 24 hour clock and so used one day as a heuristic for my entire life. So, most of my young and adolescent years occurred between midnight and daybreak, university was 6-7:30 am and so forth.

Each hour is worth about 3.75 years if I remember correctly. At this point I am between 3 and 4 pm, with lights out at midnight. What happened to the morning and early afternoon? It flew by. This helps me keep things in perspective.

-BB

Maybe it's only noon.... Hope your bio clock is not running fast since it could be later than you think.

That is sad and I feel for you. A few years back There was a couple I knew and they where in there late 70's. One died one day and the next the other died both had no health problems but both died of heart attacks. They had one son and it was hard on him.

The one saying I learned here was "you can't buy back time". That saying I have said over and over to myself when I wonder if I should of retired early.

T

The one saying I learned here was "you can't buy back time". That saying I have said over and over to myself when I wonder if I should of retired early.
Probably my biggest regret for not retiring earlier that I did. I often think about the extra good years I threw away once I was really FI

One of the quotes on my retirement spreadsheet is "You can always spend less money, but you can't make more time". My mom died just under two weeks ago (at nearly 81), but I had expected her to live another 6-8 years. It puts priorities into perspective. I'm getting out within 10 months, around age 53.

My FIL/MIL passed three months apart. He went first, she didn't know she was sick till after he passed.

Sorry for your loss.

I am so very sorry.

One of the quotes on my retirement spreadsheet is "You can always spend less money, but you can't make more time". My mom died just under two weeks ago (at nearly 81), but I had expected her to live another 6-8 years. It puts priorities into perspective. I'm getting out within 10 months, around age 53.

My condolences for the loss of your mom Bill.

Thank you! We just hit 100% success rate on FIRECALC!

So sorry for all the loses in this thread. I think like most of you here. Life is short and if you can do it now....do it.

Wow....I am very sorry. Can't imagine losing both so close together.

Met a few friends just a little while ago for drinks. One buddy who is 66 was asked how long he would work. He said as long as his company would let him. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need to but not sure of his financial situation. His wife works too so maybe they are happy with their lifestyle. But I can't imagine working forever if I didn't have to.

Also had a wakeup call at end of 2017. Older brother died early in the year. Two more family deaths at end of year. In a few days gonna let the boss know what my schedule of departure will be.

I’m so sorry to hear this sad news. Take good care of yourself and the young Mrs. G.

So sorry you lost both your parents within the last month. You must feel devastated!

Please accept our heartfelt condolences. Pray Lord gives you strength during this difficult period as you grieve your loss.

Regards,
Rick

So many losses... Prose, Gumby, Audrey, Bill, no doubt others... my sympathies. The kind of losses you all describe are world-changing. The world looks outwardly the same the next day, but all the underpinnings have shifted in a way no one else can see.

In keeping with this thread’s theme of “appreciate the ones close to you while you can, appreciate your own time because you don’t know how long it will last, and consider prioritizing a more meaningful life over work if the numbers support it” - will put one more consideration out there for folks:

Folks naturally tend to think about the limits to their own lifespan... but the same unpredictability of fate applies to your spouses (parents, friends, etc.) too. Even if you live a long life, your spouse may not, and that will be world-changing for your retirement. One more reason not to delay too long.

As a personal data point... always thought we’d manage at least a few of the fabled “golden years” of retirement... those years when you’re both relatively healthy, relatively wealthy, maybe even a little wise, and at least able to appreciate your good fortune. Then DW was diagnosed with EOAD (early onset Alzheimer’s disease). You do not want this to happen to your world. We still manage to find some good in the time that remains... but it is drastically different than we had hoped for. Not that it changes the retirement plans in and of itself... the numbers are always the numbers... but the condition puts a fine point on not overstaying one’s time in the corporate world.

It’s good to remind oneself periodically that, for all of its seeming daily sameness, life is contingent, temporary, unpredictable. It can change quickly, not only for oneself, but for loved ones, and that will change one’s entire world. Good to appreciate what you have, while you have it, and not assume it will last forever - or really, for any length of time at all. Good to assess what will look like time well spent, today, if the world changes tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom