Warning about dogs and artificial sweeteners

jabbahop

Recycles dryer sheets
For all dog owners out there. We are in the midst of a scary time with our black lab. She managed to find and consume a container of ice breaker gum that my son had purchased but not put out of reach.

I woke to my dog yelping in the midst of convulsions. We rushed he to the vet and found out that the sweetener is high toxic and can't be metabolized. It spikes their insulin and tanks their blood sugar causing low blood convulsions.

It also can cause liver failure. We are now praying that she recovers. Her liver makers had spiked last night but fortunately they are done a bit this morning.

I would never have imagined that something like a pack of gum could potentially kill a member of our family so be careful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very sorry to hear about your dog. When I was at an emergency hospital for my cat for his inflammatory bowel issues a few years ago, someone brought in a dog saying he had ingested a chewing gum that contained xylitol.

I have never been a dog owner, but I feel for you. I know dogs tend to eat anything in sight and I imagine you have to be very careful.

I sincerely hope your dog recovers fully from this incident.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning. Hope your pup recovers, keep us posted.

I hope your pup is better throughout the next few days, jabbahop. I had no idea xylitol is so toxic to dogs, so thanks for passing this alert on to us.

Please let us know if your dog recovers. This is awful.
FYI, a number of peanut butters contain xylitol now, so if you allow your dog a treat such as licking the spoon when you've scooped out some PB, make sure your brand is safe.

Pumpkin came home today and you would never know that she was near death's door 48 hours ago. Thanks to all that sent support her way.

It is our twin's 17th birthday today and having her home is a fantastic present to us all.

I am SOOO relieved to hear this!! I am so happy for you and Pumpkin.

Great news - thanks for the warning and the update and glad Pumpkin is home and doing well.

Yay!!!!! Great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom