Denamarin for dogs?

MRG

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Has anyone used this. Our vet is saying that our old dogs liver enzymes are off. She's suggesting this stuff, initially I thought it was for 3 months and done. Suddenly he needs to take it forever. Have you used this or would you treat your dog or cat with it? Sounds like snake oil to me, however I see references to the stuff in webMD?

Description

How does Nutramax Denamarin Enteric-Coated Tablets for Cats and Small Dogs 60ct (2 x 30ct) work? When liver function is compromised, the exact cause can often be difficult to determine. Supporting the liver, regardless of the cause, is essential to keep it working properly. Administering SAMe (S-Adenosylmethionine), which is found in Denamarin, has been shown to markedly increase liver levels of glutathione,1,2 an important compound for liver health formed when SAMe is metabolized. The SAMe in Denamarin has also been shown to help protect liver cells from cell death and may help cell repair and regeneration. Denamarin also helps support your pet's liver through the administration of silybin. Silybin is an active part of an extract from milk thistle, known as silymarin, and has been shown to support liver function by helping maintain a healthy oxidative balance. While best known for supporting the liver in dogs and cats Denamarin also has a place in supporting brain health. Research is looking into dog aging and associated decreases in levels of S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) in cerebrospinal fluid, which surrounds the brain. Denamarin provides SAMe in a stabilized form to help with brain health and act as a neuroprotector. Denamarin also provides a bioavailable form of silybin which supports oxidative balance.

Sounds like the Vet just bought a new boat
Thanks that's my take.

Their office is highly rated but most comments are from people on vacation. Our neighbors use this vet but their dog is only two.

Something appears different at the office in the last six months. When they looked at his cloudy eyes at first exam they said it was Nuclear sclerosis. Six months later she says it's cataracts, and we can fix them! I explained the dog's healthcare plan didn't cover eye surgery; she looked shocked I didn't want to spend thousands on an 11 year old dogs eyes when he sees pretty well.

Time to talk with other local dog owners.

My old dog had cataracts, too and got by fine. I think you might want to seek a second opinion. My belief is that senior animals do not need to have everything “ fixed” as long as the quality of life is good.
We all have “ wear parts” and sometimes those parts just wear out...like my shoulder.

My fathers vet had him giving his dog this for his liver, due to "seizures". After my dad died and brother took the dog, they changed his diet and stopped those pills. Dog is healthy, no more seizures. Vet was a quack, office shut down a while ago.

My fathers vet had him giving his dog this for his liver, due to "seizures". After my dad died and brother took the dog, they changed his diet and stopped those pills. Dog is healthy, no more seizures. Vet was a quack, office shut down a while ago.
Thank you. I'm going to change his food. He's had issues with regular food and has been on prescription Hills food. Looking at some folks comments they claim that food caused liver enzyme issues in their dogs.

I ordered a small bag of a better rated food to try. I recall a lady who said she cooked for her dogs. I'll ask her why and what.

I'm not getting him any more of those supplements. The vets office keeps asking if they make the dog better? I'm thinking what's wrong with the dog? He acts pretty normal for 11. The only issue is his bloodwork.

If your dog's liver enzymes are high, it will show up on the latest blood work. You paid for a blood test, get a copy! When these values are higher than normal it indicates the liver is being damaged. But, the liver is an organ that can regenerate itself if the source of the injury is reduced/eliminated.

Denamarin is available over the counter - so the vet's prices will generally be higher. But! Denamarin is composed of milk thistle and SAM-E. SAM-E is a compound that helps the liver to regenerate itself, and Milk Thistle helps a bit, but I haven't found any veterinary articles that describe how much is helpful. It is an amazingly tiny amount in Denamarin.

Denosyl by the same manufacturer only contains SAM-e. Or you can just buy SAM-e at the natural foods store or online. You just need to match the amount of SAM-e in Denosyl/Denamarin to the dose on bottle of SAM-e. I had a small dog and she took this to help with liver values. Denamarin contains 90mg of SAM-e. I just found 100mg SAM-e and substituted that instead.

It all relates to the blood work values, if they come down on new food and/or SAM-e, then that's great. I found the best prices on SAM-e at iherb.com.

Rita

My dog's liver enzymes were up a bit and then she was put on phenobarbital for seizures. Pb is bad for the liver. I added Denamarin when we added the Pb. I also changed her diet and am homecooking for her (fish is good for the liver). Her liver values are now good.

Back
Top Bottom