Wasteful people (rant)

Box cutter works great for cutting up boxes, go figure.
Just keep a sharp razor blade in there. Cut away from yourself.

A small saw kept near the recycling bin can make short work of those tough boxes.

If they are that big, and going to be time consuming to collapse, I just load up and take them to the recycling center. But yes I kept our old steak knives in the garage just for this sort of thing.

My wife is one to do the door/window thing with the seasons. It has fairly recently began to get cool enough to open the doors/windows here in N Fl.
So now my wife's routine is to open the doors/windows early in the morning, usually before I'm even up. They stay open until she feels the outside and inside are the same temp and then she shuts everything. When evening rolls around, the sequence repeats. Same thing next morning. There there are things that can cause a change and that is a paper mill 5.5 miles away, if she get a whiff of the paper mill, everything gets shut immediately and if we hear the mosquito man. If we hear the spray truck, everything gets shut.
I pay no attention to any of it, but if I hear the mosquito truck I shut the doors/windows.

Box cutter works great for cutting up boxes, go figure.
Just keep a sharp razor blade in there. Cut away from yourself.

Yea, I keep one in the garage next to the pile of Amazon boxes and recycle bin.

In my college summer job in a warehouse (dad's megacorp) I wore a box cutter in a sheath on my belt. For YEARS after that, whenever I needed to open a box I would reach for it. And, it wasn't there :(

How do we define "waste"?

If my palate had deteriorated, such that I could not tell XO Cognac from the less expensive VSOP grade, but kept buying XO to drink, is that a waste?

If I drove like an old man, but bought a Porsche Carrera to drive it like an Oldsmobile, is that a waste?

If I paid for a theater ticket, went in and fell asleep in the middle of a movie, is that a waste?

Last edited:
Yea, I keep one in the garage next to the pile of Amazon boxes and recycle bin.

In my college summer job in a warehouse (dad's megacorp) I wore a box cutter in a sheath on my belt. For YEARS after that, whenever I needed to open a box I would reach for it. And, it wasn't there :(

My dad reached for his shirt pocket, many years after he quit smoking!

........If I drove like an old man, but bought a Porsche Carrera to drive it like an Oldsmobile, is that a waste?.........
:LOL: My observation is that this is more the norm than the exception.

I don't mind if you drop your bagged poop in my can. Especially if you scooped it up from my lawn.

Thank you very much!

I wouldn't even care if you tossed unbagged poop you scooped off my lawn into my can.

Better than just leaving it there. Dogs will be dogs.

I've seen some heated discussions on other forums btn the toss it in the nearest can and carry it home folks.

I mostly laugh when I see people wasting...it's their money. But I did get angry at the BF of wife's daughter one day when we ordered and paid (I paid) for Chinese food. He loaded his plate a foot high, ate half of it and then threw the rest in the garbage :mad:

He was told that if he ever did that again that he wouldn't be allowed to eat in our house ever again.

I mostly laugh when I see people wasting...it's their money. But I did get angry at the BF of wife's daughter one day when we ordered and paid (I paid) for Chinese food. He loaded his plate a foot high, ate half of it and then threw the rest in the garbage :mad:

He was told that if he ever did that again that he wouldn't be allowed to eat in our house ever again.

You could just step outside and see if anyone left any bagged goodies in your trash can if he's not going to eat it anyway.:flowers:

Gotta tough guy here!

No. It's rude and inconsiderate to load a plate full of food that someone else paid for and then throw half of it in the garbage.

Maybe he thought the food would taste good but didn't turn out to be his liking? I wouldn't stuff food down if it wasn't any good.

Well, you all without hand arthritis are welcome to come help out!

The hands have a certain amount of work capability in them for everyday tasks. At some point, it runs out. Task prioritization occurs.

Imagine this possibility for others whom you may be quick to criticize. As my Mother used to say about crabby people, "Maybe their feet hurt."

Same here. Cut them up into small flat pieces.

Last edited:
You are now on at least 47 lists of environmentally insensitive people. Do you burn the plates and send more CO2 into the atmosphere? At least wash them and hang them out to dry using a solar powered dryer (formerly called a clothes line). You may yet be redeemable. Just kidding, of course.
:D

Seriously, unless one takes a look at the total lifestyle it's hard to judge others. I know a person who got roasted for driving a big SUV by a P***s driver. But, he takes the bus into work maybe 7 days a month,and work is a short drive from home. The P***s driver drives 30+ miles round trip every day.
So who has the big carbon footprint?

The paper plates go straight to the trash, then to a landfill. Sorry to say, but I have an appreciation for landfills. A landfill was one of our biggest clients during my working days at the engineering co.

We are great leftover-eaters. Not even from frugality - we just like the food.

But I have known a number of people, who think eating leftovers is next door to being in poverty.

Then there is all the trash associated with fast food and ordering-in.

I really count on leftovers - that way I don’t have to cook everyday. Stews and soups actually taste even better the next day.

Also we order out so rarely now - yes, unbelievable amount of packaging trash there. Packaging from fresh food is bad enough - at least it’s for several meals and if I get it from the fish or meat counter at least it’s wrapped in paper, not styrofoam and plastic.

I'm getting petty now, but I dislike paper plates, even wihout their non-green-ness. Too small, too floppy, have to double them up to keep tomato or BBQ sauce from soaking through, etc.

Even for picnics, we have reusable, lightweight plastic plates.

Before our kitchen renovation, I bought a pack of paper plates, not wanting to put food remnants (after scraping plates) down any sink that didn't have a garbage disposal. But the things were so miserable and messy that we ended up using regular plates anyway, wiping them off and washing them in the laundry room sink.

The paper plates go straight to the trash, then to a landfill. Sorry to say, but I have an appreciation for landfills. A landfill was one of our biggest clients during my working days at the engineering co.

I'm getting petty now, but I dislike paper plates, even without their non-green-ness. Too small, too floppy, have to double them up to keep tomato or BBQ sauce from soaking through, etc.

When I was a kid Mom bought a large stack of bamboo plate holders for paper plates. She entertained a lot and when it was a picnic or something else informal enough for paper plates those went underneath. They lasted for years.

Plastic was mentioned earlier and that's a good example of the collective impact of waste. The plastic one person throws in the trash in a day isn't that much, but look at the size of what we generate as a population. Most plastics aren't as recyclable as you'd like to believe, even if they have that little triangle and you put them in a recycle bin. COVID made things worse with the proliferation of food served in styrofoam containers and the increase in takeout and delivery. I hope we can get back to better habits.

Good for you. That is such rude behavior and totally inconsiderate when someone is invited for dinner at your home. If he wasn't sure he would like one of the selections then he should have just take a small amount to taste first. He could always go back for more. He was behaving like so many people on a cruise ship. Disgusting.

I will never forget the days of beans and biscuits so I appreciate and respect having a choice and quantity of food. Today any leftovers are saved for my breakfast or lunch the next day. Food is not to be thrown away.

Cheers!

Maybe he thought the food would taste good but didn't turn out to be his liking? I wouldn't stuff food down if it wasn't any good.

But but but his GF's dad paid for it, as was mentioned 2-3 times! He probably saved a nice $8 on take out Chinese LOL. Awesome way to forge a great relationship with a potential future son-in-law. :LOL:

Good for you. That is such rude behavior and totally inconsiderate when someone is invited for dinner at your home. If he wasn't sure he would like one of the selections then he should have just taken a small amount to taste first. He could always go back for more. He was behaving like so many people on a cruise ship. Disgusting.

<snip> Food is not to be thrown away.

Cheers!

I totally agree. It was drilled into me by my grandparents, both of whom were overweight because they urged each other to "eat up that last little bit" of food left on the serving platter. They'd been though some tough times. With freezing, stir-frying and careful shopping, I don't waste, either, and am at a healthy weight.

I'd also be horrified at a guest who loaded up his or her plate with food and then discarded half of it. "Take all you want but eat all you take".

Good for you. That is such rude behavior and totally inconsiderate when someone is invited for dinner at your home. If he wasn't sure he would like one of the selections then he should have just take a small amount to taste first. He could always go back for more. He was behaving like so many people on a cruise ship. Disgusting.

Wasting food from a buffet is not just a sin. It also shows that a person has no class, and is most likely of a poor upbringing. It's not different than drawing graffiti. It's destroying valuable things for no good reason.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom