We are primarily male...

Five of the top thirty posters are female. So much for women's reputations as blabber mouths, eh?

Regarding member affinity to other Web sites, the #1 ranked is the bogleheads site. Of course all investors would know Mr Bogle, but am I the only one who does not frequent that site? I was not even aware of that site until seeing it referenced here.

On the other hand, I often go to businessweek (I am also a printed-copy subscriber), bloomberg, treasurydirect (once a month as I got mucho money there), and wsj.

PS. I am also among the very few who have no accounts with Vanguard. Yes, I did know of Vanguard as it has always been connected with Mr. Bogle.

Regarding member affinity to other Web sites, the #1 ranked is the bogleheads site. Of course all investors would know Mr Bogle, but am I the only one who does not frequent that site? I was not even aware of that site until seeing it referenced here.

Yes, you are the only one. :D

I found out about this site from M* Vanguard Diehards. Since Bogleheads broke off from them, I have been reading that site from the start.

Five of the top thirty posters are female. So much for women's reputations as blabber mouths, eh?

Women like to hear themselves talk. Men like to read their own writings? :confused:

Martha

I like women who talk a lot.

I think I have to thank a very articulate and talkative girl I grew up with and spent hours on the phone with for a lot of my verbal skills. We could just sit there and talk all night until the sun came up.

The downside to knowing her is I would go out with other girls that pretty much did not talk and it was hard for me to be around them.

One girl I was very attracted to I talked to on the phone and her entire vocabulary consisted of...

yeah
I know
seriously?
so what have you been up to?
I don't know
no way!
oh my gawd

That would be an hour of talking to her right there.

I figured she just didn't like me. Years later her friend tells me she did like me but she didn't know why I stopped calling her!!

Jim

I don't know if I should go take a look. Though this is the only forum I frequent, leave alone post to, I am having all my Internet socializing needs met right here. Same as money, one should know when he has enough. Yes?

According to Quantcast (whatever that is) we are.

and 11.7% of us visit Steves-Digacams.com.

I didn't know that... nor did I know about Steve.

Hm...never thought they could direct measure audience demographics. I always thought that you had to go the panel route ala comScore. Thanks for the lead!

I was thinking the opposite. I thought it meant I should be able to stand up and pee. :blush:

Judging by the public RR's I've had to use over the years, I'm guessing you'd do as well as us guys!!!:blush::(:whistle::D

It might be that the data that they have for this site is just based on if the person who signed up for the internet access is male or female.

Polls can be inaccurate especially if you are asking questions that people feel like they have to brag about or if it's a poll where it's like a "are you a victim of" poll....especially in person.

But asking about gender in an anonymous poll should give you a pretty good idea.....no reason to lie really.

What would be interesting to play with on that site that tells the gender of sites visited is to see what it would show for sites that would likely interest almost all male or almost all female.

Jim

The white paper says that they use a combination of panel data and direct measure meaning that some people must have signed up to be part of the Quantcast panel. The direct part is through triangulation from census data. I don't know how detailed a tracking through IP address can get, but I suppose it can get pretty detailed. Laurance can jump in any time. Now if I know what block you live on through your IP address, I can tell with certainty the average and median income, the average and median net worth, the average age, and the average family size, education level etc. down to a block level that would encompass the size of an apartment building or 2-4 townhouses. That level of data in the raw is freely available from the government, or you can pay a few thousand dollars a year for a tool to manipulate the vast quantity of data.

Judging by the public RR's I've had to use over the years, I'm guessing you'd do as well as us guys!!!:blush::(:whistle::D
:LOL:

I'm constantly amazed at the places where I find....um...well the list continues to grow.....:p

Weird how if you are pleasant and listen to a woman till she finishes without interrupting her, and look at her as if she is a real human being and not just a need-fixer it is your feminine side.

Can men not have these traits on their own? Sounds like just more of the old "sugar 'n spice and everything nice", vs. "nails and snails and puppy dog tails". A bit annoying.

Ha

You don't know the half of it.

When I drop my oldest off at nursery school, it is a quick trip. For DW it is a good 20 minutes longer. Why? For her, it is a social outing to chat with the other moms. Not so for me: they simply are not comfy talking to someone else's husband in public (imagine the scandal!!!). One of many examples.

You don't know the half of it.

When I drop my oldest off at nursery school, it is a quick trip. For DW it is a good 20 minutes longer. Why? For her, it is a social outing to chat with the other moms. Not so for me: they simply are not comfy talking to someone else's husband in public (imagine the scandal!!!). One of many examples.

I'm not much on talking to people; I find I have less in common with women than with men.

On the other hand, I often go to businessweek (I am also a printed-copy subscriber), bloomberg, treasurydirect (once a month as I got mucho money there), and wsj.
PS. I am also among the very few who have no accounts with Vanguard. Yes, I did know of Vanguard as it has always been connected with Mr. Bogle.
Bogleheads went through quite a backlash after breaking free of the H0cus-poisoned M*, and initally it wasn't much fun to keep track of all their rules. It looks like they've loosened up considerably, and their wikis are a great way to learn the ropes.

But I never got back into that crowd after all the M* H0cus drama.

Steve's is great. I always research new cameras there.
Maybe it was the "primarily male" phrase, but juxtaposing it with "Steve's Digicams" brought to mind an entirely different sort of website...

I became a Boglehead post split when they dropped that $5 to join rule.

Not that I'm thrifty, frugal - or or now what's that phrase I'm seaching for?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:.

heh heh heh - after all I have to uphold my reputation - :rolleyes: :greetings10:. Although the 'Blonde in the basement in Missoula' joke/phase is long past - right.

Nice. Mensa.org visitors also visit askmen.com. It is good to see that even those with a stellar IQ still appreciate the simpler pleasures in life.

Originally Posted by bbbamI
I was thinking the opposite. I thought it meant I should be able to stand up and pee.

It's quite possible for a woman to learn to do so, and darned useful if she spends much time hiking trails where facilities are few, and snakes may lurk in the underbrush :whistle:

OK, now that I've left you with THAT indelible image...:LOL:

I found the forum through another site on early retirement investment. I would venture that many more men have joined up, because men still dominate most Internet forums (except those pertaining to needlework and scrapbooking).

Amethyst

Originally Posted by bbbamI
I was thinking the opposite. I thought it meant I should be able to stand up and pee.

It's quite possible for a woman to learn to do so,...

Yeah, but will I be able to write my name in the snow, too?

What would be the male equivalent of that??
let's see...what would be a non-traditional male activity on the same level as a woman (me) having a toolbox of my own and rebuilding a small engine carburetor ? :cool:

tick tock tick tock...5 minutes passes...

how about "I need to go buff my nails before I go bowling? "
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

let's see...what would be a non-traditional male activity on the same level as a woman (me) having a toolbox of my own and rebuilding a small engine carburetor ? :cool:

tick tock tick tock...5 minutes passes...

how about "I need to go buff my nails before I go bowling? "
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I used to bowl. However, it wasn't much fun beating people using a house ball with a big chunk out of it.

I even had one guy on my team OFFER to buy me a nice bowling ball just to get me to stop using a "house" ball. It didn't work...........:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom