Weird things found on the beach

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I spend a lot of time around the beach, and I've become a bit blasé about most objects poking out of the sand-- especially after a [-]party[/-] holiday weekend.

We have a shelf full of urchin shells and other marine souvenirs. We've filled our garage with beach buckets, sand shovels, and abandoned toys. I've stopped wondering what happened to all the "other" swim fins. We'll never ever need to buy another facemask or snorkel. I don't even raise an eyebrow at the bikini thongs with no matching tops... I'm pretty sure they just fell out of someone's beach bag after changing under a towel, but maybe I should do more research.

However I was halted in my tracks yesterday morning when I found an eyepatch laying on the sand. It didn't look like a kid's pirate toy-- it was adult-size, heavy black plastic with foam padding, and a strong elastic cord. Did a surfer leave it ashore while they were paddling out? (You think that you'd notice a one-eyed surfer in the lineup.) Was it washed up after a faceplant in the shore break? Did it just sorta fall off without being noticed? (After all, that eye is presumably no longer in use.) Was it yanked off in a beer-fueled frenzy? If I gave it to the lifeguard, would anyone check their Lost & Found box? "Sure, we had someone turn one in-- can you identify it for us?"

It had to be a coincidence that we surfers could smell a dead, rotting carcass while we were out on the break. I'm sure that it's all worked out OK by now.

Anyone heard from Nick Fury lately?

Can't wait to see what's on the beach next time...

I spend a lot of time around the beach, and I've become a bit blasé about most objects poking out of the sand-- especially after a [-]party[/-] holiday weekend.

We have a shelf full of urchin shells and other marine souvenirs. We've filled our garage with beach buckets, sand shovels, and abandoned toys. I've stopped wondering what happened to all the "other" swim fins. We'll never ever need to buy another facemask or snorkel. I don't even raise an eyebrow at the bikini thongs with no matching tops... I'm pretty sure they just fell out of someone's beach bag after changing under a towel, but maybe I should do more research.

However I was halted in my tracks yesterday morning when I found an eyepatch laying on the sand. It didn't look like a kid's pirate toy-- it was adult-size, heavy black plastic with foam padding, and a strong elastic cord. Did a surfer leave it ashore while they were paddling out? (You think that you'd notice a one-eyed surfer in the lineup.) Was it washed up after a faceplant in the shore break? Did it just sorta fall off without being noticed? (After all, that eye is presumably no longer in use.) Was it yanked off in a beer-fueled frenzy? If I gave it to the lifeguard, would anyone check their Lost & Found box? "Sure, we had someone turn one in-- can you identify it for us?"

It had to be a coincidence that we surfers could smell a dead, rotting carcass while we were out on the break. I'm sure that it's all worked out OK by now.

Anyone heard from Nick Fury lately?

Can't wait to see what's on the beach next time...

I used to walk with my mother on the beach in Gulf shores, AL. When the wind came from the northeast, all sorts of stuff would show up: coins, keys, jewelry, wedding rings...

Have you found any sneakers with the feet still inside? Seems to be pretty common on British Columbia beaches. Mostly right feet.

However I was halted in my tracks yesterday morning when I found an eyepatch laying on the sand.
hathaway_enh.jpg

This guy can't be far away !

I don't even raise an eyebrow at the bikini thongs with no matching tops...

At least one of those is mine. I used to lose bikini tops or bottoms several times a year when body surfing in Hawaii, as a teen. When you wipe out big time, you roll over and over with huge waves crashing over you, and things just sort of wiggle off and disappear. I was always SO EMBARRASSED and would send my (female) cousin to get my spare bikini out of the car, and bring it to me.

Not a fun experience for a shy teen! ;) Always managed to keep from being seen, though.

With the fresh bikini on, I would try to find the missing part of the other one. Never could find it, though.

I've stopped wondering what happened to all the "other" swim fins.

Shark400x300.jpg

About the finest moment in my young life was being at coast guard beach on cape cod, 12...maybe 13 years old. About six women in bikinis went into the water and a huge wave wiped all their bathing suits off in entirety. And then it took them a good 4-5 seconds to notice.

I think the best part was that the water was around 50 degrees, so there wasnt going to be a whole lot of hanging around in the water waiting for someone to bring them something else to wear >:D>:D>:D

At least one of those is mine. I used to lose bikini tops or bottoms several times a year...
Should I mail them to you as I find them, or should I wait until I've collected the whole set?

Shark400x300.jpg

About the finest moment in my young life was being at coast guard beach on cape cod, 12...maybe 13 years old. About six women in bikinis went into the water and a huge wave wiped all their bathing suits off in entirety. And then it took them a good 4-5 seconds to notice.

I think the best part was that the water was around 50 degrees, so there wasnt going to be a whole lot of hanging around in the water waiting for someone to bring them something else to wear >:D>:D>:D

"Now she's afraid to come out of the water
And I wonder what she's gonna do
Now she's afraid to come out of the water
And the poor little girl's turning blue"

Thank's Nords, goin' to the beach is near the top of my to-do list, this is the best time of year for it. I'm always intrigued by the flowers that wash up, possibly came along with scatterings at sea.

Shark400x300.jpg

Darm wish I could see that.................TODAY!!!:D

I would concentrate more on the bikini tops and bottoms than I would on an eye patch, but that is me.

When I was young - very young, maybe 8 or 9 - a cousin and I found an unopened condom package on the beach. My cousin brought it back to the adults in the house and asked what it was. Someone calmly stated that no one knew but we should through it out because it might be dirty.

My cousin fished it out of the trash and we spent a while filling it up to giant size with sea water until it broke. It got surprisingly large.

My cousin told me he thought people used it to practice having sex with. I was clueless.

Mike D.

Maybe the eye patch WAS a bikini top or bottom?

I was maybe 10 when I did the condom-as-water-balloon experiment. I got it to fill to almost half the size of a small bathtub. Pretty impressive.

In Florida around 1980 I found a message in a bottle! It was from a research institute in Cuba(!) that was mapping currents by releasing bottles with messages asking the finder to respond by mail with the date & location of the find.
I responded as requested, half expecting a visit from the Feds asking why I was corresponding with the godless commies.
IIRC I eventually got a thank you from the Cubanos in the form of a picture of a shark.

In Florida around 1980 I found a message in a bottle! It was from a research institute in Cuba(!) that was mapping currents by releasing bottles with messages asking the finder to respond by mail with the date & location of the find.
From a Cuban group researching, "If I set out for Florida in an inner tube, how long will it take me to get there?" :)

From a Cuban group researching, "If I set out for Florida in an inner tube, how long will it take me to get there?" :)

Could be!

Also around that time a guy I knew found a whole bale of weed. Dumbass turned it in to the cops, much to the dismay of many of us lowlifes...........

Also around that time a guy I knew found a whole bale of weed. Dumbass turned it in to the cops, much to the dismay of many of us lowlifes...........
He knew that the saltwater curing method produces a noxious bouquet and a bitter aftertaste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom