Well, Looks Like a Choice of Three Dems for the White House........

That alone disqualifies him, IMO.

Great, now he can go from a old out-of-touch Senator to an old out-of-touch President........:eek:

I think age and/or term limits should apply to Congress........;)

That alone disqualifies him, IMO.

Agreed that McCain's age should disqualify him. Also, I think that our country has to get beyond the politics of Vietnam,and McCain's views (like Bush & Co as well as the Clintons) are straight out of that history.

Obama is loved by the younger generation and they are going to face some very dicey problems in the future, especially the federal budget, social security and medicare. We need to give younger people a President and administration in whom they have confidence and hope so that they will have a chance to deal with those future problems now before they swamp the country.

If we stay with the same ole same ole, the younger generation will blame us "boomers" that we did not deal with these serious national issues. And,I'm afriad, that there may be a terrible generational backlash in future years against retirees by angry young voters.

Last edited:
I am surprised that Romney threw in the towel already. I figured he would keep going for a while.

Now that the choices are dwindling a bit - is there a good, (relatively) unbiased site that just lists position statements for each candidate?

Obama handles himself very well, and I can see how people are attracted to him on an emotional level, especially young voters, but I have very little idea what his positions are (other than wanting to get out of Iraq and pointing out that HRC voted to go into Iraq).

-ERD50

Wasn't Reagan close to 70?

Reagan turned 70 the month after inauguration. He got re-elected and served a second term, turning 78 the month after he left office. I believe he was the oldest sitting President in US history, but could be wrong on that.............

I think one of Reagan's best moments was when he was stumping for Bush senior at the Republican National Convention. He talked about taking some friendly jabs from different Washington folks about his age. He said something like: "Yeah, I KNEW Thomas Jefferson, he was a friend of mine", or something, which brought the house down..........:D:D

Here's my problem with McCain. On Jay Leno, he told this joke:
What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?
One is a scum-sucking bottom dweller, and the other's a fish.
It's not that I'm pro lawyer; let me see if I can explain it. He told it like an old guy who is completely out of touch, but was thinking "Wait 'til they hear my great new hip joke." It would be a great new hip joke if it were 1998. That joke has been around for years (it was told on our joke thread in 2005), and the general theme has been around longer. Then I see video clips in which he tells that joke at rallies.

It's like McCain is the reclusive neighbor who thinks "What time is it when an elephant sits on a fence?" is a real knee slapper.

I saw the Leno show and thought the same thing. He is just not very exciting. But I can't get excited about the Dems either. It will probably come down to the Republicans rallying around their man and the Democrats doing the same. Who the fence riders go with is the big question.

What if McCain picked Huckabee (to appeal to the religious right) or someone else seen as more appealing to the more conservative side of the party? Would that help balance his November chances?

I still feel a dem has a better chance between the two this November, but who knows!

Not much else behind the Huckster... and his tax plan is just nuts (I know... another debate)..

I think he loses more than he gains if he picks Huckabee...

NOW, let's get some fire started... my sister would like McCain to pick EDWARDS... talk about going for the middle...

If the idiots keep voting them in... what are you to do?

There is no age limit... only a heartbeat limit...

The only Senator I didn't mind serving "forever" was the late Senator Proxmire........:)

If we stay with the same ole same ole, the younger generation will blame us "boomers" that we did not deal with these serious national issues. And,I'm afriad, that there may be a terrible generational backlash in future years against retirees by angry young voters.
That's not keeping me up at night... if they want to seize the reins and fix everything better than the Boomers have been doing, then they're welcome to it!

That's not keeping me up at night... if they want to seize the reins and fix everything better than the Boomers have been doing, then they're welcome to it!

I am sure it looks a lot easier from the outside than trying to get stuff done once you are in Washington DC.

In my fantasy world, all Senators would have mandatory retirement at age 60, and the House could accept folks as young as 25..........:eek::eek:

I don't think the Boomers, and World WarII vets have done terribly, but IMHO they are trying to delay making tough decisions until they die, and leave the problems to their successors...........:eek:

I am sure it looks a lot easier from the outside than trying to get stuff done once you are in Washington DC.

In my fantasy world, all Senators would have mandatory retirement at age 60, and the House could accept folks as young as 25..........:eek::eek:

I don't think the Boomers, and World WarII vets have done terribly, but IMHO they are trying to delay making tough decisions until they die, and leave the problems to their successors...........:eek:

Boy... maybe I should look this up first.... Nah...

I did not think there was an age limit for the House or Senate.. just the prez... anyone knowledgeable?

Seems to me that many people will be voting for McCain only because it will be a vote AGAINST the democrats. That usually doesn't work out very well for that candidate in the long run.

Seems to me that many people will be voting for McCain only because it will be a vote AGAINST the democrats. That usually doesn't work out very well for that candidate in the long run.

Perhaps. I suspect that McCain would occcasion low turnout among the religious right.

McCain is terrible. i think he will be a horrible president. He won't be any better than bush. Im republican the only decent republican i can see is Ron Paul and democrat Obama

I also like Ron Paul the best of the Republicans because he keeps pointing out that everyone is dodging the really important issues.

I think that Hillary does her homework and has a good command of the details, but I don't like her husband at all.

I like Obama, but I worry a little that he is heavy on inspiration but maybe a bit light on the details.

I liked McCain until he bickered with Romney on the debate, but I could tolerate him if elected.

Yahoo had an article today about what each candidate's house was like. McCain has the largest at 4.5 million.

If the guy has never had a private job and spent his whole life serving the country in relatively low paying public service jobs how can he afford the 4.5M house?

I see that McCain is probably going to be the Repub candidate and I'm trying to warm up to him, but I'm having a hard time. It didn't help when he came out today and said that we Repubs need to "settle down" and see if we can't resolve our differences...and I do have a lot of differences with him. The tone of his voice and the tone of his message seemed like he might have been scolding errant children. Very condescending and arrogant. That kind of attitude does nothing to motivate me to go to the ballot box.

That's exactly the same impression I had when I heard him speak. Like, "There now, don't you worry your pretty little head. I know what's best for you all"

Yahoo had an article today about what each candidate's house was like. McCain has the largest at 4.5 million.

If the guy has never had a private job and spent his whole life serving the country in relatively low paying public service jobs how can he afford the 4.5M house?

His wife is very wealthy.

Back
Top Bottom