Well, there they go again.

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I really enjoy the Olympic Games - my favorite sporting events.

Last night during the parade of nations, each country was introduced with a short comment. Bob Costas introduced the Central African Republic as
"A Republic from Central Africa. In fact, I think I announced them in 2004 with that same phrase".

Absolutely incredible. I'd say the NBC announcing can't get any worse than that, but I know it wouldn't be true.

Here in SE Michigan, we can watch the Olympic coverage LIVE -- not tape delayed -- from Canadian TV. I am so impressed by the more intelligent commentary delivered by our neighbors to the north. I too heard how Bob Costas introduced the C.A.R. and I was dumbfounded.

Here in SE Michigan, we can watch the Olympic coverage LIVE -- not tape delayed -- from Canadian TV. I am so impressed by the more intelligent commentary delivered by our neighbors to the north. I too heard how Bob Costas introduced the C.A.R. and I was dumbfounded.

Well, I don't really know. What could he say? "The Central African Republic, home of incessant violent uprising and government overthrow, incredible diseases, horrible economy and bleak prospects for any improvement”? Or maybe, "A really hot place with one of the world's poorest populations"?

Maybe best to stick with “a central African republic”. Of which description the only definitely true part is that it is located in central Africa.

Ha

Of course, he could have said something like -

The Central African Republic, making their 7th olympic game appearance with 3 team members who will compete in boxing and track and field.

Of course, he could have said something like -

The Central African Republic, making their 7th olympic game appearance with 3 team members who will compete in boxing and track and field.
That would be better! :)

Maybe he is like some of us here on the board, and likes a little variety.

Ha

When the opening ceremony was going on, we had a severe weather alert, so the local station was covering the bottom of the TV screen with locations of the thunderstorms. It looked like quite a few countries were located in Central Minnesota. :)

Have to agree with haha, not much to mention about some of the lesser known teams. When the commentators are given little, they will rely on almost nothing... or politics.

I really enjoy the Olympic Games - my favorite sporting events.

Last night during the parade of nations, each country was introduced with a short comment. Bob Costas introduced the Central African Republic as
"A Republic from Central Africa. In fact, I think I announced them in 2004 with that same phrase".

Absolutely incredible. I'd say the NBC announcing can't get any worse than that, but I know it wouldn't be true.

One thing, one announcer says and you judge all of them so harshly?

Try this - turn off the sound and you try to do the color and play by play announcing.
-------
P.S. - in case you didn't get it that's Bob's style - a little self deprecating.

Speaking of the opening ceremony, Link

BEIJING — A 7-year-old Chinese girl was not good-looking enough for the Olympics opening ceremony, so another little girl with a pixie smile lip-synced "Ode to the Motherland," a ceremony official said — the latest example of the lengths Beijing took for a perfect start to the Summer Games.
081208_lipsyncing.jpg

Have to agree with haha, not much to mention about some of the lesser known teams. When the commentators are given little, they will rely on almost nothing... or politics.
One thing, one announcer says and you judge all of them so harshly?
First, it wasn't once, it was twice - the same introduction for the '04 and '08 games. Costas' own words. :rolleyes:

Second, for the kind of money NBC spends on staff you'd think they cound find something to say. Jeezz ... they only needed to ask an intern to spend 5 minutes on looking up some simple detail on the internet.

Nah ... they're just not trying hard enough.

Speaking of the opening ceremony, Link

081208_lipsyncing.jpg

What about this paragraph from the NYTimes article:

"Mr. Chen depicted the process of selecting a child singer as a tortured ordeal. He said about 10 children were chosen who “had a good image and who can sing well.” Initially, a 10-year-old girl was selected “whose voice was really good.” This girl held the role for most of the rehearsals — until Mr. Zhang decided she was too old."

What is even scarier is that both girls used in the performance, one deemed not good enough a singer and the other not cute enough, were "OK with it" because they've been told it's for the interest of the country. I can't imagine what kind of pressure they must be under.

What is even scarier is that both girls used in the performance, one deemed not good enough a singer and the other not cute enough,

Wait a minute, billions of people in China and they can't find one 7 year old that is cute *and* a good singer? :confused:

-ERD50

What about this paragraph from the NYTimes article:

"Mr. Chen depicted the process of selecting a child singer as a tortured ordeal. He said about 10 children were chosen who “had a good image and who can sing well.” Initially, a 10-year-old girl was selected “whose voice was really good.” This girl held the role for most of the rehearsals — until Mr. Zhang decided she was too old."

I say FIRE MR. ZHANG!!!!

I think Bob Costas is by far the best announcer, if you have troubles with him the rest of the Olympic announcers must drive you nuts.
I think in general NBC is do a very good job with the Olympics on my digital cable there is way more than I could possible watch or tape in a month.

Still the have some pretty lousy commentary/coverage generally involving a cutie pie who looks good but knows nothing, and a former Olympian who spews out highly esotoric information information about an already obscure sport,when I am just trying to figure out the basics.

Back
Top Bottom