What about scanners that turns negatives into digital photos?

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have a TON of old negatives and slides and pics going back 30 years or so.

I have seen a contraption by Veho that scans in the stuff in half a second and turns it into a digital photo.

Anybody know anything about this? DW wants it as an X-mas present...........;)

FD; shouldn't be prob, do you still have the HP Photo/Image software that comes with that model:confused:

I do that all the time (scan old hardcopy Pics) and save them as JPEGs. The HP 1350 certainly has the capability...gave mine to friend when I downsized to a smaller model.

cheers,
1-0

FD; shouldn't be prob, do you still have the HP Photo/Image software that comes with that model:confused:

I do that all the time (scan old hardcopy Pics) and save them as JPEGs. The HP 1350 certainly has the capability...gave mine to friend when I downsized to a smaller model.

cheers,
1-0

I got the software.........

Will the HP scan negatives and slides also, and generate a good digital photo? because I have lots of those!!

FD -"Will the HP scan negatives and slides also, and generate a good digital photo? because I have lots of those!!"

That's a negative Ghostrider...it's pretty much a WYSIWYG issue. You'd need the negs/slides converted(developed) into photos to scan them. Or you'll just have a scanned copy of a negative...

I'd get someone with a little tech savvy to give you a hand (neighbors)...It's a pain in the butt to do it via remote advice/instruction, and a heck of a lot more timely as well!

buena suerte!

1-0

I have scanned negatives using an old HP 5370 CSE. The results were absolutely, unbelievably fantastic! The process was slow but newer equipment will probably be much faster. Old, poor quality and dammaged negatives can be massaged to make great prints.

I have a flatbed Epson 3490 Photo that has a special attachment for 35mm slides and also does negatives. Been very happy with it.

A year or two ago I researched this a lot and picked the Nikon Coolscan V ED as a good price/quality ratio. I previously had a HP Photosmart 5x7 print/film scanner and was horrified at what dust does to a negative scan. The Nikon Coolscan V has some infrared dust detector that hides the dust quite satisfactorily for me. At the time I think it was $600.

I don't have a same-negative comparison, but in the sunset photo of the Captain Cook statue you can see a LOT of dust and hair noise, and this is after I tried to gently brush and blow off the negative. I may have even used a spray-on negative cleaner and white gloves, but I don't recall for sure. The halftime show photo is not a particularly good shot or negative by any measure, but I scanned it about 20 years after it was taken, and you can see there is almost no dust effect even in the dark sky.

(Captain Cook statue scanned with 2400 dpi HP Photosmart. Halftime show scanned with Nikon Coolscan V ED at 1600dpi with antidust settings--Digital ICE I think they call it--on. The Nikon can go to 4000 dpi, but the halftime show negative scan wouldn't benefit from a higher resolution. Both photos have been scaled to 1600px max dimension for upload.)

Attachments

• AK089704-19-cook.jpg
    AK089704-19-cook.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 1987-04-11.jpg
    1987-04-11.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom