What do you think of the striped lawn look?

Do you like the striped lawn look?

• Yes

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I am Groot!

Votes: 14 18.2%

• Total voters
I am surprised at the lazy answers in this thread or the "just cut it" is good enough view point. The same drive and diligence that got me to FIRE exists in all parts of my life. Why just mow, when you can mow and have stripes.

This image is a little excessive. Had to double cut due growth and to better mulch clippings. No fancy rollers, etc. Just healthy lawn cut with care. Previous weeks pattern still showing. Somehow, very satisfying.

Sorry, but to me, this looks far worse than "just cut and be done"...... to each their own though :cool:

This is done for us by a professional. He said, “Well, what do you think”, I said I love it. He calls it rainbows, and alternates with stripes and curves.

EdL3

Attachments

• 01643353-ACC7-4E84-B66C-7D4B3F8D542B.jpg
    01643353-ACC7-4E84-B66C-7D4B3F8D542B.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 54D9D48E-67E1-4A3C-9A16-7B86795D6124.jpeg
    54D9D48E-67E1-4A3C-9A16-7B86795D6124.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 18
I've always said, they should have hung the guy who invented lawns. It wouldn't be so bad if it were optional, but it seems all home owners are compelled to perform this never ending ritual of IMO wasted time, effort and money at the penalty of facing fines, liens being put on your house and/or public shaming.

Well if you want to hang the guy, you're too late. But his name was Edward Beard Budding, an Englishman, and he is widely credited with inventing the first lawn mower in 1830. I even bought a book on the history of lawn mowers. Very interesting and not surprisingly they followed the path of the industrial revolution in general.

BTW, you can also blame Abraham Levitt and his sons, William and Alfred, who developed Levittown, NY. I doubt I need to explain the history of suburbia from there. They installed lawns and the careful maintenance of them was a requirement in the covenants. There were strict penalties and fines for failure to mow when needed or failing to pull weeds.They could, and did, throw your butt out if you failed to maintain a lawn.

While I suppose lawns are required by some HOAs now I've never met one, and everyone who has a lawn put it there because they want it there. There is one lady around the corner from us who does not have a front lawn, but has instead installed the most ungodly collection of weird plants and trees in a small space I've ever seen. I'm quite certain the maintenance of it far exceeds any lawn in a similar space. But to each their own; it's a free country, and all that.

Lawns have a long history in the U.S. and the tradition began in England. Here is a short history of lawns in America, and full disclosure, Pennington is a grass seed company. I have purchased several of the books they reference at the end of the history. The invention of the lawn mower did much to speed the development of lawns. Before that only the wealthy could have a lawn as it took a staff of skilled groundskeepers with scythes to keep it cut evenly. The lawn mower changed all that. I strongly suspect the phenomenon of "keeping up with the Joneses" had a lot to do with it too.

https://www.pennington.com/all-products/grass-seed/resources/the-history-of-the-american-lawn

History of Lawns In America

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anthropology-in-practice/the-american-obsession-with-lawns/

https://www.planetnatural.com/organic-lawn-care-101/history/

One need only search on "history of lawns in the U.S." or similar to get further results.

This is done for us by a professional. He said, “Well, what do you think”, I said I love it. He calls it rainbows, and alternates with stripes and curves.

EdL3

I like it!!
My back yard is cut in a rainbow also. There is less turning and more mowing that way. I took a picture of the front yard after I striped it, but I need to make a few adjustments on my homemade striper. It was a fun small project just to see results and to try something new. I will tell you I'm not one to have the best lawn and I'm not the one to keep up with the Jones. Lol
My nest door neighbor last name is Jones.

Attachments

• IMG_9625.jpg
    IMG_9625.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 16
Here is a fresh shot. Any better?

Attachments

• 1BD678AB-1ABC-41AC-97DA-C0F74558E3BD.jpeg
    1BD678AB-1ABC-41AC-97DA-C0F74558E3BD.jpeg
    599.7 KB · Views: 11
Y'alls lawns as so nice I'd be afraid to walk on them :). I'll settle for my 'decent and just happy I have one to be used' lawn :D.

What's a lawn?

Around here, this is de rigueur.

PS. And I had to look up "Groot".

southwestern-landscape-boxhill-img~f80173830f434a24_4-6950-1-80ba443.jpg

That is beautiful!

I agree! I prefer that to green grass, though I do kinda like a lawn. But the "natural" look (even though it probably took a fair amount of work to get it to this look) is truly attractive. Good on you!

Back
Top Bottom