What do you think of the striped lawn look?

Do you like the striped lawn look?

• Yes

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I am Groot!

Votes: 14 18.2%

• Total voters
I think striped lawns look silly. What's the point other than being different and/or trying to one up the neighbors. As it is, it takes me 45-60 minutes to mow our large yard (about 1 acre), not counting the additional time I spend weed eating, and leaf blowing the sidewalks and driveway. I can easily spend 3-4 hours on the basics if I'm motivated. Most of the time I skip weed eating and only blow off the most used areas.

If you're going for striped lawns, I would think artificial grass in different colors would be easier to achieve.

Ironically, I "do" like to see the striped effect when vacuuming carpets. It's a sign the floor was freshly cleaned and generally only lasts the day.

I like the minor striping effect that happens with zero turn mowers, but I do not like the striping shown in the first post.

In fact, IMO even just mowing your lawn yourself when you have accumulated enough money to retire, is trying too hard. There are much more enjoyable and safe ways for retirees to exercise.

Some people, including myself, actually enjoy doing yard work.

I also change my own car oil and hand wash all our cars. But, I'm a car nut too.

Not trying to prove anything. Just the way I'm wired.

It is not my lawn. It is the dog pack's bathroom. They don't care as long as the grass is not too high. I try to please them so i can sleep soundly.

I have always used a 21" push mower to mow my yard...

So, do you like the stripes or not?

I have a 15 year old 21" push mower as well. I used to mow the different sections of the yard by doing the perimeter and then working around to the center so I was always cutting over the clippings and essentially mulching them. Sort of like a rectangular spiral.

But after 10 years at this place, I noticed the wheels were starting to wear the pattern into the lawn and I didn't care for that. So a couple of years ago I decided to cut the sections diagonally which led to the striped effect similar to the top half of the picture shown in the original post. But then that started to wear into the lawn as well so now I still cut most of the sections diagonally, but I alternate directions every other time I cut. (Cut from the front left to the rear right one week and from the front right to the rear left the next week)

So the result ends up kind of like the double cut striped effect without having to waste gas by cutting the lawn twice. A couple of times each cutting season (which is only 4 months where we live) I will cut the rectangular spiral like I used to just to mulch up the cuttings.

So far, this is what works for me. YMMV. :cool:

As long as it is mowed, that's good enough for me.

Doesn't work unless the lawn is very level with few trees, etc. Which is not the kind of lawn I prefer.

I feel the same way about it as I do about vacuuming carpets to get a plaid pattern. Why bother. It's gone quickly, unless nobody walks on it.

Last edited:
...and I thought I was getting fancy when I fertilized and overseeded the 15 foot wide strip on the other side of the driveway from the house this spring.

As long as it is mowed, that's good enough for me.

My feelings exactly. I do fertilize and keep the weeds under control too.

Since I use a riding mower, I do alternate my mowing pattern but as far as the impact on how the lawn looks, I couldn’t care less.

I haven't mowed a lawn in 16 years, but don't care for the look. I'm thinking that the effect fades fairly quickly as the lawn grows back. YMMV

I like the looks of strips. I wouldn't get a roller to enhance the detailing thou. I use a push mower and mine will leave the wheel marks and can see the different direction of cut but only lasts a about 48 hours than starts to fade away. I also changeup the direction of mowing each time.

I don't think I've ever seen stripes around here. Is it a northern-type grass effect? Grass around here is almost all either Bermuda or a St. Augustine variant. I have both, and some Buffalo grass too. None of it shows the pile carpet vacuuming effect. Neither do I see any ruts from mowing the same way. I hate lawn mowing. I mow with a lawn tractor, and it's still hot sweaty soul-sucking work most of the year. And chiggers galore from early May through about October, and skeeters if I tried mowing late in the day.

There is a person in my neighborhood that I think mows every chance he can get. He is a very nice person, but I had suspected some sort of mental illness. But over time I came to realize that he may be mowing so much, because it may be the only peace he gets in his life. To be a captain of himself, while he is mowing. When he stops mowing, he returns to being a serf. There were some years that I would stop by and talk with him a bit if he was outside. But in a matter of minutes, the master must have looked out the window and saw that he wasn't working, so she came out to get him working again. I feel just a little bit sorry for him, just a little. The old adage "you made your bed, now lie in it" always came to mind.

In fact, IMO even just mowing your lawn yourself when you have accumulated enough money to retire, is trying too hard. There are much more enjoyable and safe ways for retirees to exercise.
-1. I get a little exercise and save money mowing my own lawn - what’s not to like. Paying for someone to mow and paying for a gym doesn’t make sense for everyone. YMMV

Last edited:
Has anyone every made a roller to make strips? I see that you can take a piece of pipe fill with sand and zip tie to plastic safety flap on back of push mowers that drag behind. I wonder if that will work. I will make one today and see if it works or not. I have the material to make one and won't take long to make one.

Has anyone every made a roller to make strips? I see that you can take a piece of pipe fill with sand and zip tie to plastic safety flap on back of push mowers that drag behind. I wonder if that will work. I will make one today and see if it works or not. I have the material to make one and won't take long to make one.

I was just going to attach the head of a push broom to the back of my mower deck on the zero turn mower. Saw that on YouTube.

I use a push reel mower with rollers which does leave stripes but they are hard to see unless you are far above the lawn. The picture shown in post #1 of this thread is from a height. When looking at ballfields or racetracks, the cameras are at a height. If you're walking or driving by, you don't see it as much.

In addition, rollers on a riding lawn mower will compact the turf due to the weight, which is counter-productive to a healthy lawn.

I was just going to attach the head of a push broom to the back of my mower deck on the zero turn mower. Saw that on YouTube.

Interesting!!! I just made one from a 1.5" pipe and filled with sand and zip tied to rear of push mower. I tried it could see any affects, but I just cut grass yesterday so that maybe why.
If anything it will be a fun experiment to see what happens. I leave my grass cut longer (3") so I would think it would detail it some.

Happy cutting corn18.

I use a push reel mower with rollers which does leave stripes but they are hard to see unless you are far above the lawn. The picture shown in post #1 of this thread is from a height. When looking at ballfields or racetracks, the cameras are at a height. If you're walking or driving by, you don't see it as much.

In addition, rollers on a riding lawn mower will compact the turf due to the weight, which is counter-productive to a healthy lawn.

You can see it from normal eye height.

how-high-to-mow-the-lawn.jpg

-1. I get a little exercise and save money mowing my own lawn - what’s not to like. Paying for someone to mow and paying for a gym doesn’t make sense for everyone. YMMV
Agreed. I have never paid anyone to mow my lawn while working a full time job, so I don't expect to stop when retired. I'll get some exercise doing that some days instead of something else.

I voted that I like the stripes, but I think I would change my vote if I could.

I don't smoke, drink, or chew so I have plenty of money to pay lawn service. It's a one man show and he does a great job mowing, edging, blowing off leaves and grass clippings and removing downed palm fronds for $46/week. He even treats for the dollar weeds that tend to take over the lawn during the winter months. I like the uniform look of the lawn and I have one of the nicest looking lawns in the neighborhood.
I am so glad we found him after a spinal nerve injury had me falling down while I was trying to mow. :D

Cheers!

I have looked at get a lawn mowing service but it is still something I enjoy so I keep doing it. It is a peaceful time for me. Put in headphones or eabuds and I can groove to music or catch up on audio books and podcasts while I walk or ride. Or I can meditate and solve all the world's problems in my head :LOL:. It takes between 1.5 and 2.5 hours (depending on how much I choose to ride or walk). A small price to pay for mental therapy :D, and when done we can sit on our front porch or back patio and enjoy the view of my labor :).

DH does not do anything special, just regular back and forth.
Now, our two neighbors across the street are another story. Their front lawns run together, they are the only two houses that are situated that way. So when one mows, the other one gets out to mow so the grass is consistent. One of them is very type A and is out at least twice a week. Feel sorry for the other own who follows! But he has recently made a diamond outline in his lawn. Have no idea why. Looks a bit different, maybe trying to be decorative??
They are not big lawns, but since they are joining, it looks rather impressive.

You can see it from normal eye height.

how-high-to-mow-the-lawn.jpg

That lawn is cut too short. I just accidentally found that same image, ironically in an article entitled "Cutting Grass Too Short: The Most Common Mowing Mistake" In that article, he says: "Most family lawns look beautiful when they’re between 3cm – 6cm high." which is equivalent to 1.2" to 2.4" and is far too short for many grasses and many climates. He barely discusses the different types of grasses, which in itself is a major failing. And grass cut that short will require excess water, fertilizer and maintenance to compensate for the unhealthy length. IDK what type of grass is pictured, so perhaps it's OK being short, but fescue, rye and bluegrass all prefer longer lengths. The author recommends cutting no more than one-third of the leaf off at each mowing, which is common and well-regarded advice. So if your grass is 1.2" tall, you must cut it before it grows one-half inch. You'd be mowing every other day, and maybe every day!

I just cut my mixed Rye and Bluegrass lawn to 5" high and do not see any stripes. But at that length, it looks healthy and requires only minimal maintenance and water. I do have to cut it twice a week, which is a bit of a pain, but I do get twice the exercise!

That lawn is cut too short. I just accidentally found that same image, ironically in an article entitled "Cutting Grass Too Short: The Most Common Mowing Mistake" In that article, he says: "Most family lawns look beautiful when they’re between 3cm – 6cm high." which is equivalent to 1.2" to 2.4" and is far too short for many grasses and many climates. He barely discusses the different types of grasses, which in itself is a major failing. And grass cut that short will require excess water, fertilizer and maintenance to compensate for the unhealthy length. IDK what type of grass is pictured, so perhaps it's OK being short, but fescue, rye and bluegrass all prefer longer lengths. The author recommends cutting no more than one-third of the leaf off at each mowing, which is common and well-regarded advice. So if your grass is 1.2" tall, you must cut it before it grows one-half inch. You'd be mowing every other day, and maybe every day!

I just cut my mixed Rye and Bluegrass lawn to 5" high and do not see any stripes. But at that length, it looks healthy and requires only minimal maintenance and water. I do have to cut it twice a week, which is a bit of a pain, but I do get twice the exercise!

I cut my lawn at 3.5". Not sure why other than that is what I set the mower to. I wonder if I should cut it longer?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom