What ever happened to the Segway?

Trek

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was headed across town today and what did I spy but a guy on a Segway. I think it was the first time I actually ever saw a Segway in person.

It looked a bit different than I remember them when they first came out. It was kinda of "bad ass" and "stealth like" if those terms can be applied to a Segway. Looking at the Segway website when I got home, I see they're still in production and the model I saw would have been the i2 Commuter.

Explore Segway PT Models for Individuals

Funniest part was that the guy riding it was fairly overweight, something that isn't the norm here and my wife says to me, "that guy should be walking." :2funny:

I have to say though, if I had a bunch of disposable income, I could see tearing around the city on the x2 Adventure model. :p

Any Segways plowing the streets where you live?

i just saw some in the mall in las vegas and i've seen mall security here in socal use them as well... it seems that's where most of them have been used - i don't think that many individuals have ponied up for them. when they were introduced it was supposed to revolutionize human travel right? i don't think it had the impact the inventor envisioned...

They rent them here in St. Pete, by the hour. You are required to take a brief lesson before your first outing. We've done it -- great way to cover lots of ground in a short time, or just to "stroll" around looking at the bay.

They are very easy to use if you are not totally clumbsy. Doesn't sound fast, but 12 MPH is pretty brisk in one of those things. They have cargo baskets and essentially turn wherever you lean.

They never really caught on otherwise. I wouldn't buy one at current prices.

Ha!

img_682239_0_406faa82ed705b098c526e7c6f402685.jpg

If you come to New Orleans, you can sign up for a Segway tour of the French Quarter (complete with Segway rental, tour guide, etc).

If you come to New Orleans, you can sign up for a Segway tour of the French Quarter (complete with Segway rental, tour guide, etc).

Which makes me wonder. Do Segway's float?

I've never seen any around here. Probably not the best to get around with unless they come with studded snow tires and heaters.

Which makes me wonder. Do Segway's float?

Perhaps you are not aware that the French Quarter is on some of the highest ground in the city, and was "high and dry" even after the storm.

I would expect that they would float about as well as a motorcycle.

Perhaps you are not aware that the French Quarter is on some of the highest ground in the city, and was "high and dry" even after the storm.

Yeah, I know. It was just a bad joke. Sorry if it was insensitive.

The rumor in Dallas is the bike cops will have to start riding these things instead. They are not too pleased.

The rumor in Dallas is the bike cops will have to start riding these things instead. They are not too pleased.

I would think the bike riding helps keep them in shape. I wouldn't be too happy either.

I saw the local mall cop driving one last week. I guess that is the answer. Of course, it is 110 out and they don't have AC. :)

If those armed guys shoot their guns, won't they fall over backwards?

What if they have to move sideways real fast?
It also seems like it would be too easy to detach the guy from the Segway...

(signed) -an ignorant pacifist

Cops here are getting a couple for downtown patrol - they can go 15 mph and are very nimble. With them being electric, watch for more of these in your rear view mirror very soon.

A friend broke his neck in a diving accident. I mean this truly, it is a miracle that he has any function as they thought he was a para for sure. He can walk and use his arms and hands but is quite impared but is back to being a functioning professional in his community. He uses a Segway to get around and is nimble as hell on the thing.

If those armed guys shoot their guns, won't they fall over backwards?

What if they have to move sideways real fast?
It also seems like it would be too easy to detach the guy from the Segway...

(signed) -an ignorant pacifist

The have gyroscopes and lots of electronics that keep them upright on your behalf.

and if you have to move sideways real fast, you could just hop off of the Segway to either side.

I'd also guess that photo doesn't really show tactical operations.

They rent them here in St. Pete, by the hour. You are required to take a brief lesson before your first outing.

Same deal up in Chicago......rent them and they give you brief training and you're on your way. They also have segway tours.

Also the Chicago PD have them and use them. I've seen them on them zipping around Navy Pier and the Lake front areas. And they were on them all over the place at the "Taste of Chicago"......as well as on bicycles and on horse-back.

Gas meter reader uses one here in Missouri,goes well thru yards and on the street.He really zips along fast.

I saw them in-use by airport security recently, I have no idea which airport (Cincinnati?). It sure looked like an efficient and sensible way to traverse a long concourse.

I've seen them as an alternative to golf carts. They cost about the same to rent, but only transport a single golfer (and bag) rather than 2.

What a deal - Not!

I've seen Segways in use here and here over the past couple years, but they certainly haven't taken off as promised. As a matter of fact, for all my faith in the future the Jetson's promised me, the only major robotic-type advance I've seen that really panned out is the Rhoomba - www.irobot.com.

When we moved into our new house we decided to keep the dogs in just one section, on tile floors and away from the hardwoods and the sleeping areas. We were cleaning that section every day, then I bought a Rhoomba at Costco, just to try it out. We now have two, and they are a perfect addition to the ER lifestyle. They do a great job in our situation, and I can sit on the sofa and read a book while I'm vacuuming 2 rooms simultaneously! :cool:

My DW loves them, calls them the Goombas. The dogs ignore them completely. And evey day they suck up a tremendous amount of dog fur and other material. Even my daughter, who is fairly allergic to the pugs, says she breathes much easier now when she visits. I'm a fan.

But I'm still waiting for a functional Jetpack. ;)

Harley

You can also rent them by the hour here, as a tourist thing. I've never seen them used any other way.

As far as replacing bike cops with them, that seems stupid to me. I've seen bike cops bike up and down stairs -- and chase down cars doing 30 mph. Seems unlikely a Segway would have that sort of versatility.

I saw them in-use by airport security recently, I have no idea which airport (Cincinnati?). It sure looked like an efficient and sensible way to traverse a long concourse.

How fast/efficient/clumsy would Segways on a rolling walkway be?

Back
Top Bottom