What Happened to Vidalia Sweet Onions?

Texas Proud said:
AHHH... yes, the 1014s are good... except they are not year round....

And the trivia question.. why are they called 1014:confused:

Did you mean the 1015Y? I think it was just a numbering system to be able to tell all the different varieties apart in the labs and research fields at A & M. There was also 1020Y, 1025Y, 1030Y and the 1105Y that were all considered marketable. But, they went with the 1015Y because it matured sooner and was less pungent than the others.

ya know, I'm crying right now...yellows, garlic & virgin in the pan...I should go down to the workshop and get some goggles when I cut onions next time

Edit:
I just remembered that my mom would rinse the onion in water after she had cut it in quarters - help keep the fumes down...

I was thinking that 1014 was wrong... but since I was not at the store I just assumed I was wrong...

BUT, it is 1015....

They are named because that is the day you are supposed to plant them!!! October 15th...

Texas Sweets - SpringSweets & Texas 1015s

Texas Sweet OnionsSpringSweets are the first spring sweet onions in the marketplace, debuting in March; the 1015s arrive in mid-April. The 1015, developed in the early 1980s by Dr. Leonard Pike, a professor of horticulture at Texas A & M University, is named for its suggested planting date, October 15. Nicknamed the "million-dollar baby" because of the money spent to develop it.

Credit to: http://www.sweetonionsource.com/varieties/texassweets.html

Back
Top Bottom