What is meant when people say an old person "becomes irrelevant"?

I look at irrelevance and older age the same way I look at the popular crowd in high school versus me (not in the in crowd). They may be popular, but I went on to leave my small town, explore the world, get a good job, and save/invest to join the top 5% in the US.

Now, I don't care so much if people think I'm old or irrelevant. I have more $ and more ability to travel and do what I want than ever before in my life!

I'm still quite relevant. When I show up at a restaurant, the waiters are happy to see me. Mama san at the sushi bar takes good care of me and advises which fish is especially good that day.

The ladies at the hardware store know my name. I'm a regular.

The school kids love me too, I heard one kid say to his buddy as they were walking by my house "that guy's cool, he's always building stuff"

Yup, don't feel any irrelevance at all - :)

we’re certainly not leaving the world a better place in at least some respects after our stewardship from 1967 thru present.

We haven’t done too bad. Water and air pollution is way down. The wars are much smaller and as a planet we are comparatively at peace compared to most of our history. There is far less poverty in the world than there used to be, and here in the US those in poverty are better off than they used to be. The world is more educated than ever.
I know things aren’t perfect, but we’ve done a lot of good.

DW needs me
Our son needs me
The garden needs me
The portfolio needs me
The economy needs me
The ER site folks need me ... hmmm, or do they? :)

Last edited:
We haven’t done too bad. Water and air pollution is way down. The wars are much smaller and as a planet we are comparatively at peace compared to most of our history. There is far less poverty in the world than there used to be, and here in the US those in poverty are better off than they used to be. The world is more educated than ever.

+1

And the fact that the USSR is gone and we are no longer on the brink of nuclear war with them is pretty nice too.

My DS loves to rattle off a bunch of ways in which the world is so much better today than before. It annoys peoples, but they never prove him wrong.

Maybe it’s only me, but we’re very different. Even though I am one, the jury may still be out for a little longer but I think “boomers” deserve some “negative connotation” - we’re certainly not leaving the world a better place [color=redin at least some respects[/color] after our stewardship from 1967 thru present.[
That’s why is included the word some. Wage inequality, partisanship, racism, sexism, national debt, climate change - but I won’t belabor the ways things are worse. My only point was seeing Boomers in a negative connotation shouldn’t come as a surprise.

That’s why is included the word some. Wage inequality, partisanship, racism, sexism, national debt, climate change - but I won’t belabor the ways things are worse. My only point was seeing Boomers in a negative connotation shouldn’t come as a surprise.

I understand your feelings and sympathize. But should anybody even try to classify an entire generation (maybe born 1946 to 1964) of people as "Boomers" and then pass judgement? These broad classifications are handy tools but I think they are a dangerous generalization that makes us think things are less complex then they really are.

Those problems mentioned above (in red) probably existed and some of them were far worse before the post war baby boom folks came along. National debt I would have to look up and one number is not a way to judge a complex economic analysis. Climate change has probably gotten a lot worse and all of us in all age groups get to own that one.

Many people seem rather irrelevant to me. They don't understand my thoughts, or worse they aren't even interested in them, or in me for that matter. Their wants, needs, goals, and activities are quite different from mine. They are like Martians to me and frankly, they seem pretty odd.

That's OK - - I still appreciate them and value their presence on this earth! The same is true for many other beautiful creatures of this earth, such as those in the attached pictures.

Attachments

• Capturetiger.jpg
    Capturetiger.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 202
  • Capturefroggie.jpg
    Capturefroggie.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 202
  • CapturebIGEARS.JPG
    CapturebIGEARS.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 198
Gen X: "Irrelevant?"
Boomer: "You rang?"

Yeah, I'm still relevant. And yeah, those boomers are also. I do not view them in any negative light and don't even view groups based on those generation terms.

I disagree with some comments painting people within roughly defined age groups with the same brush and would never blame a group of such people for anything. I also disregard all the negative comments about millennials these days.

I have not seen what the OP is talking about as far as anyone being called irrelevant.

Someone else made the point, and I would agree, I consider myself to be the most relevant personally, and that's all that matters to me.

Bravo! These things are what matter.

I went for a walk on the beach. People are always walking their dogs, and I always greet the dogs. Today a small, elderly dog - part of a group of 3 out with their human, coming toward me - made a beeline for me and clearly reveled in the petting I gave her. Her human said, "Thank you! She really wanted to meet you. She was watching you for quite some time."

So I'm relevant to one little dog, and her person.

I'm still quite relevant. When I show up at a restaurant, the waiters are happy to see me. Mama san at the sushi bar takes good care of me and advises which fish is especially good that day.

The ladies at the hardware store know my name. I'm a regular.

The school kids love me too, I heard one kid say to his buddy as they were walking by my house "that guy's cool, he's always building stuff"

Yup, don't feel any irrelevance at all - :)

I bought my first house in 1985. I was one of the first singles in my age cohort at work to buy her own house; the result of LBYM measures I shudder to think about now :blush: Anyway, not only were mortgage rates sky-high (13%), but house prices were going up literally every week. My real estate agent blamed "The Baby Boomers" for driving up house prices. She meant people born in the late 1940s, not youngsters like me. But I'm classed as a "boomer" now.

I understand your feelings and sympathize. But should anybody even try to classify an entire generation (maybe born 1946 to 1964) of people as "Boomers" and then pass judgement? These broad classifications are handy tools but I think they are a dangerous generalization that makes us think things are less complex then they really are.

Those problems mentioned above (in red) probably existed and some of them were far worse before the post war baby boom folks came along. National debt I would have to look up and one number is not a way to judge a complex economic analysis. Climate change has probably gotten a lot worse and all of us in all age groups get to own that one.

People are always walking their dogs, and I always greet the dogs. Today a small, elderly dog - part of a group of 3 out with their human, coming toward me - made a beeline for me and clearly reveled in the petting I gave her. Her human said, "Thank you! She really wanted to meet you. She was watching you for quite some time."
Sounds like me...but my wife says I should greet the human first!

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed articles saying old people are irrelevant but surely some people are, almost by choice. For example, some people are almost proud that they never read/watch newscasts or popular movies or tv shows; if we don’t have current/shared knowledge that we can view through the vintage filters of our decades or experience and then share this with others, how can we be seen as relevant? I am sure I am as relevant as I ever was (and I am sure I don’t really care how others see me as I’ve been pretty invisible my whole life), but I was able to explain to another Boomer what “OK, boomer” is all about.... :LOL:

Racism is worse now? Sexism? I don't see that at all. Wage inequality? Have you heard of "Robber Barons?"

The national debt is higher. Yet the economy chugs along. I don't pretend to understand it, so I'm not prepared to say it's better or worse.

We've been impacting our climate since the industrial revolution. It's pretty much the Boomer generation who identified the problem, and we've made huge progress toward both alternative energy and efficiency. We banned DDT, cleaned harbors which had been virtual cesspools, passed emissions and efficiency standards for automobiles, created the EPA and endangered species lists, and founded all kinds of organizations which are helping push positive changes. Are we done yet? No. But we've made good progress.

My real estate agent blamed "The Baby Boomers" for driving up house prices. She meant people born in the late 1940s, not youngsters like me. But I'm classed as a "boomer" now.

I know! I wasn't a Boomer until recently, either. The boom was supposed to be when the servicemen came home from the war in the 1940s. and started, er, resuming normal activities. I wasn't born for another 15 or so years after they got back. I guess my parents were slow starters?

For example, some people are almost proud that they never read/watch newscasts or popular movies or tv shows; if we don’t have current/shared knowledge that we can view through the vintage filters of our decades or experience and then share this with others, how can we be seen as relevant?

That's me. I seek out varied news sources on the web and read the stories myself; no talking head reading them to me or opining about why they prove the "other team" is awful. I also avoid TV shows and movies.

And, yes, I'm left out of the conversation when it turns to irrelevant drivel like who was in such-and-such a movie. I couldn't care less. If they talk about something which has some relevance to our lives, I'll join the discussion.

I'm not sure how that makes me irrelevant. But I'd admit to being uninteresting to someone who lives their lives vicariously through TV and movies, and I'm certainly not going to win the favor of some die-hard partisan who only watches one-sided so-called news channels which support their pre-conceived point of view.

... I seek out varied news sources on the web and read the stories myself; no talking head reading them to me or opining about why they prove the "other team" is awful. I also avoid TV shows and movies.

And, yes, I'm left out of the conversation when it turns to irrelevant drivel like who was in such-and-such a movie. I couldn't care less. If they talk about something which has some relevance to our lives, I'll join the discussion.

I'm not sure how that makes me irrelevant. But I'd admit to being uninteresting to someone who lives their lives vicariously through TV and movies, and I'm certainly not going to win the favor of some die-hard partisan who only watches one-sided so-called news channels which support their pre-conceived point of view.

Sorry, I’m watching the Jeopardy tournament because TV :LOL: so not much time to respond but of course all news is edited, no matter where you see it. My bigger point is that if we take ourselves out of the world (and not saying we shouldn’t), who will find us relevant? And would we care?

Last edited:
Hmmm... I never thought about this.

Was I ever relevant? I don't know. It does not seem to matter much either way, to me or to the world.

I am certainly relevant to the patients i fly to their appointments. Almost all these are during the week when most people are working. The beauty of being retired is that I can do this on weekdays.
I was speaking to one of the managers at Angel Flight West, and he looked me up and told me I had flown 110 missions. I was quite surprised, as i had no idea.
I am also rlevant to the people who come to our local hospice to borrow medical appliances that I and my partner repair.

I know! That's how I feel when I see ill-natured comments about "fading into irrelevancy." The commenter isn't feeling too relevant, is my suspicion! Things aren't going too well, and it's easy to blame some group that one doesn't currently belong to.

Was I ever relevant? I don't know. It does not seem to matter much either way, to me or to the world.

What is meant when people say an old person "becomes irrelevant"?

Seniors give their unwanted opinion unsolicited and confuse experience for wisdom

Most are slow to adopt to new knowledge and live in the past

My job forced me to be relevant. That was a major reason for me retiring as I wanted to be irrelevant. In fact not only am I irrelevant, anything I do is irrelevant. Retirement is working out as planned.

Seniors give their unwanted opinion unsolicited and confuse experience for wisdom

Most are slow to adopt to new knowledge and live in the past

That's a mighty broad brush you're painting with there.

Back
Top Bottom