What is meant when people say an old person "becomes irrelevant"?

Oh wait, I thought this thread was about becoming irreverent as we get older. Never mind.

Now the frog is dead. Bummer.

Words once in common use now sound archaic. And the
names of the famous dead as well: Camillus, Caeso, Volesus,
Dentatus . . . Scipio and Cato . . . Augustus . . . Hadrian and
Antoninus, and . . .
Everything fades so quickly, turns into legend, and soon oblivion covers it.
And before long you’ll be no one, nowhere—like Hadrian,
like Augustus.

--Marcus Aurelius

All of those people were very relevant at one time. Now, not much. Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, and Augustus were Roman emperors. I don't even really know who the rest were.

Don't worry nancyfrank232, you too will be irrelevant soon than you think. Perhaps you already are.

All of those people were very relevant at one time. Now, not much. Marcus Aurelius, Hadrian, and Augustus were Roman emperors. I don't even really know who the rest were.

Don't worry nancyfrank232, you too will be irrelevant soon than you think. Perhaps you already are.

Wasn’t Cato the Green Hornet’s side kick? [emoji51]

Of course

The difference is that I’ve accepted my irrelevance, seniors haven’t. Some believe they still are

Suspect the poster was using "boomer" as a catch-all for "old people."

In the mid-90's, our agency got rid of a lot of "secretarial" positions because personal computers had been on nearly every desk since the late 80's. This caused a number of high-ranking men, born in the 1930's, to retire because, never having learned to "type," they were now irrelevant.

I'm sure there are people, born after 1946 and thus in the "boom" generation, who couldn't deal with the PCs either; but I haven't met any.

This happened to a local big corporation back in the 80s. Desk PCs were introduced and lots of older workers quit/retired. So the corporation had to hire lots of replacements. That is how I was blessed to get my position there which become my life's work. Fortunately, I already had on-the-job PC experience. But now that I am older and retired, I don't keep up with the latest changes in technology. Now I can relate to the culture shock felt by those older employees back in the 80s.

Last edited:

This happened to a local big corporation back in the 80s. Desk PCs were introduced and lots of older workers quit/retired. So the corporation had to hire lots of replacements. That is how I was blessed to get my position there which become my life's work. Fortunately, I already had on-the-job PC experience. But now that I am older and retired, I don't keep up with the latest changes in technology. Now I can relate to the culture shock felt by those older employees back in the 80s.

The best way make a senior confront their own irrelevance is to introduce new technology or cultural trend

At this point seniors will talk about the culture and technology of the past and how things were better back then

I’ve accepted my irrelevance, seniors haven’t. Some believe they still are

The best way make a senior confront their own irrelevance is to introduce new technology or cultural trend

Sounds like you had a bad experience. Sorry for that, but I hope you realize you're speaking only for yourself. Unwise to use such a broad brush for all "seniors".

Talk of 'Relevance' reminds me of the punch line in the old Monty Python "Nudge, nudge, wink, wink" skit......."What's it like?"

At this point seniors will talk about the culture and technology of the past and how things were better back then
You're bitter, maybe dissed by a "senior" in the past.
I connected the dots, and find you're repeating the same blather over and over.

nancyfrank232, my child, I'll have you know I invented the Internet, and, by the way, you are out of the will.

Back
Top Bottom