What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

A $100 Amazon gift card for DD's 40th birthday which is today. (Where did the time go?)

Here she is at her wedding 14 months ago

IMG_7532.jpg

Yesterday I ordered an inexpensive smart watch, first Amazon order in 6 months or more. Not as smart as most mentioned in another thread but it has all I need. I'm not an Amazon member and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow according an email I received. The estimated arrival time on the order indicated Thursday- Friday. I'm more than happy to accept fast delivery tho.

I'm at it again :(.

Attachments

• battery tester.jpg
    battery tester.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 33
Today I pre-ordered "Animal Crossing: New Horizons", Nintendo's new Animal Crossing game for their Switch gaming console. It won't be released until March 20th, but IIRC Amazon is good about not charging for pre-ordered games until they ship. Here's an image from the game trailer; looks like so much fun!

In the game, Nook is a money hungry humanoid tanuki (raccoon, more or less), and the game starts with him selling your character on the idea of living on a deserted island. For a price, of course. :D

Attachments

• IGN image.jpg
    IGN image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 126
I found some adjustable width New Balance flip flops online and went to their local store as I prefer to buy local and to try on the shoes first. Not only did they not carry that style, but they were out of my size (a very common size) in the regular flip flops. This was a month ago when the weather was still cool. I was then going to order online from New Balance but the shoes were $25 less on Amazon. Since I was ordering the shoes anyway, I also bought some hard to find mineral based sunscreen.

Last edited:
Oh, I ordered a new laser printer for DD's birthday present, but I got it from Walmart as it was 15% cheaper and also came with two day free shipping.

Amazon is going to have a problem if they keep allowing WM (and others) to undercut them on pricing.

Oh, I ordered a new laser printer for DD's birthday present, but I got it from Walmart as it was 15% cheaper and also came with two day free shipping.

Amazon is going to have a problem if they keep allowing WM (and others) to undercut them on pricing.

I just picked up an item on e-bay after finding it for $10 less than Amazon. Then I saw a link for another $5 discount. $99 at Amazon, $84 at e-bay seller who had lots of good reviews. Add in a bit of lost CC cash-back and the difference is $12.

On a recent BBQ purchase Costco was considerably cheaper than Amazon. Then I bought a small propane tank for the BBQ, and Home Depot was cheaper than Amazon. Between the two I saved a good 55+ dollars after sales tax.

Amazon did have a better overall selection, I will grant them that.

Last edited:

Very true. I've noticed that more often than not Home Depot has lower prices than Amazon on some power and hand tools. Not always, but often enough to make sure to check both.

HD has work to do on the two-day delivery, but sometimes they've made it. Usually I'm not in so much of a hurry that it matters.

Last thing I ordered was an oscillating fan, it arrived after the heat wave here in Silicon Valley broke, but I'm still glad to have it ready for the next one. I'd actually use it every night, but the power light (why does everything have an LED on it now?) is annoying, and the noise disturbs my DW who is a light sleeper, so it is relegated to further heat wave emergencies only. :p

Last thing I ordered was an oscillating fan, it arrived after the heat wave here in Silicon Valley broke, but I'm still glad to have it ready for the next one. I'd actually use it every night, but the power light (why does everything have an LED on it now?) is annoying, and the noise disturbs my DW who is a light sleeper, so it is relegated to further heat wave emergencies only. :p

If it weren't for the noise, I would say put some electrical tape over the LED. I got a really handy three-outlet, two USB expander for a regular two outlet box, and it has a really bright green light on top, so I put electrical tape over it. Now I've done that with a few others in our bedroom.

A caulking knife blade for the oscillating tool, filter for the shop vac, ink cartridge for the Canon photo printer, and a set of mixed blades for the oscillating tool. Whenever the forecast becomes "not rain" again, I have to replace the rotting brick casing and underlying 1 x 6 on both sides of the garage door so that's what the caulking blade is for.

Lowes had the brick casing in PVC but I couldn't find the 1 x 6 in that material so wood will have to do. Since the old stuff lasted 16 years it's unlikely I'll have to do it again anyway.

I just picked up an item on e-bay after finding it for $10 less than Amazon. Then I saw a link for another $5 discount. $99 at Amazon, $84 at e-bay seller who had lots of good reviews. Add in a bit of lost CC cash-back and the difference is $12.

On a recent BBQ purchase Costco was considerably cheaper than Amazon. Then I bought a small propane tank for the BBQ, and Home Depot was cheaper than Amazon. Between the two I saved a good 55+ dollars after sales tax.

Yeah, I have had similar experiences lately when pricing out certain items at Amazon, Ebay, and other stores. Amazon definitely does not always have the best price anymore (especially if your order is not large enough to qualify for free shipping). And, if you are not a Prime member (which I am not), you can't count on receiving the item ordered in a timely manner, either. Based on my experiences with the last few things I've ordered from Amazon (none of which were very good), I pretty much decided to look elsewhere for an item first now, and only resort to ordering from Amazon if I can't find it at a reasonable price anywhere else.

Yeah, I have had similar experiences lately when pricing out certain items at Amazon, Ebay, and other stores. Amazon definitely does not always have the best price anymore (especially if your order is not large enough to qualify for free shipping). And, if you are not a Prime member (which I am not), you can't count on receiving the item ordered in a timely manner, either. Based on my experiences with the last few things I've ordered from Amazon (none of which were very good), I pretty much decided to look elsewhere for an item first now, and only resort to ordering from Amazon if I can't find it at a reasonable price anywhere else.

Definitely, sometimes best price can be found at ebay or some more internet surfing over Amazon. However, a plus of Amazon is the return policy where many times you can't find going on ebay or another place. Recently, I bought a battery tester from Amazon that was disappointing in performance. I started the return process but Amazon said no need to return (probably costed them more for return shipping and processing).

About a year ago, I bought a vacuum sealer from company for about $120 that wasn't carried on Amazon. After a couple of uses, the sealer stopped working. I wanted to do a return and get my money back but the place didn't take returns. I had to go through their process to get the sealer repaired under warranty but no returns allowed.

Most of the time I shop at Amazon. But for some things, I compare at other places and try to keep in mind how inconvenient should I need a return.

Two pistol case. Not for pistols but a new glue gun from Ryobi.

Also, got some cat food to put my order over the hump for free same day shipping :cool:.

Attachments

• pistol case.jpg
    pistol case.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 33
Back
Top Bottom