What is the last thing you ordered from Amazon?

I just ordered an LED brake fluid moisture detector, which I learned about today on ER.org. Hat tip to Cortina.

I've owned 14 cars in 49 years of driving, when did moisture in brake fluid become a thing?
Can I just not worry about for 25 more years?

A solder pot. Of course one can be sure that it is made in China even if it did not have Chinese characters on the label. Who else in the world makes anything like this anymore?

But I digress...

The price is so cheap ($24), the solder bars to fill its tiny cup will cost more than the pot itself. I need this to tin some electrical parts that take a lot of time to do with a large soldering iron, and the result will be nowhere as good as tin dipping.

61xwDFIrggL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

When I tinned some 660 count litz wire, I used one of our stainless steel spoons resting on a stove burner. When it got hot enough I melted a good size solder ball in it, dipped my Litz wire in rosin flux and into the solder ball, it worked just fine.
Then one of my kids saw the spoon on my bench with a brownish residue spot in it, they started to question whether I was doing drugs!:facepalm:

Try Ebay--that is where I go for unusual items
Thanks - yeah, eBay has them but I either need to wait for delivery from China or pay a big markup from a US based source. The Amazon deal was a good one.

I have two 20 year old propane gas fireplaces which are acting up despite a good cleaning. Ordered two new pilot light assemblies.

Like several others, Turbotax on CD with state, a 13mm combination wrench (it will go in the toolbox I carry to R/C flying sites - 13mm is the size of the nut holding on propellers) a screwdriver magnetizer/demagnetizer for use to magnify the oil dipstick on various small engines, and a package of 4 inch zip ties for tying up wire bundles in R/C airplanes.

A pair of 12v/100AH LiFePO4 batteries and an extra 120W folding PV panel to power the mobile lifestyle.

Ordered a Lodge chef series 12" cast iron skillet and tempered glass lid. I like to cook!

I could not fix the kitchen light by replacing the CFL ballast or the gx24q bulb so I purchased an e26 socket lamp holder for $6 to convert the CFL into the regular bulb type so I can use the LED bulbs and put the CFL lighting in the past.

120 W folding solar panel
I am waiting for the Tenergy T320 to arrive on Wednesday so I can use the solar panel to charge the Tenergy T320. :cool:

Bought TurboTax Premier early this morning and just ordered a subwoofer for my family room 5.0 home theater system.

SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (Black Ash) – 12-inch Driver, 500-Watts RMS, Sealed Cabinet

Currently $200 off for extended holiday sale so $499 vs regular $699. This model has been updated with a new model, the SVS SB-2000 Pro for $799 which uses bluetooth for adjustments. I'm not worked up over that as I hope to own this long after support for the bluetooth app has gone away. I should only need to set it up once anyway.

I bought a SMD Hot Air Solder Station, Low temp solder paste, 2 Tweezers and an IPOD battery.
Also cancelled a subscription to a supplement MNM, that I thought had already cancelled, they said, I did, but I had two subscriptions, so the notice of shipment I got was for the second one.

Last edited:
I ordered a subscribe and save of almonds, with free shipping. It added it to the cart which had a sweatshirt, and I placed the order, with free shipping. I realized the sweatshirt was the wrong size and canceled it. I didn't realize until today that Amazon had charged me shipping on the subscribe and save almonds because I had canceled the sweatshirt. The almonds were already shipped. I had to contact customer service. The rep told me it was because it was under $25. I told him it should be free as a subscribe and save. He said $25 rule still applies to those. I disagree. He said that if I reordered and if it didn't add shipping, he would credit me the shipping on my previous order. So, I did, and it didn't charge me any shipping. So he realized I was right and gave me the $6 shipping credit to my account.

Last edited:
I bought a SMD Hot Air Solder Station, Low temp solder paste, 2 Tweezers and an IPOD battery.

I tried my hand at replacing a bad (tiny) SMD microphone on an isolated part of a cell phone CB using a heat gun.

The procedure worked and I am pretty sure I got the alignment right, but still no sound. It was worth the try just for fun.

Good luck with the proper tool, should make the job easier.

A paper trimmer.

Attachments

• paper trimmer.jpg
    paper trimmer.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 27
I have two 20 year old propane gas fireplaces which are acting up despite a good cleaning. Ordered two new pilot light assemblies.
Just installed these into my 20-year-old propane fireplaces at the cottage. Perfect matches for the old starter assemblies and a relatively easy install. Now have beautiful blue pilot lights instead of the sickly yellow-orange from the replaced units.

Just ordered a replacement UV bulb and sleeve for the Trojan Max water treatment unit at the cottage as well.

A solder pot. Of course one can be sure that it is made in China even if it did not have Chinese characters on the label. Who else in the world makes anything like this anymore?

But I digress...

The price is so cheap ($24), the solder bars to fill its tiny cup will cost more than the pot itself. I need this to tin some electrical parts that take a lot of time to do with a large soldering iron, and the result will be nowhere as good as tin dipping.

61xwDFIrggL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

At the same time I ordered the above solder pot from Amazon, I bought some solder bars from eBay after looking around for the best deal on 63/37 eutectic solder bars. They are pricier than I imagined. The world running out of lead and tin?

I only received these bars yesterday (almost a month!), and the seller used 2-day priority mail. Good lord. Was it because of online Christmas shopping, or the US Postal's bad handling and misplacing it along the way? He shipped the bars in a round carton tube, and perhaps it rolled into a corner of the shipping truck. I think that is more likely than mere late shipping due to overwhelmed volume. People would get mightily upset if they sent gifts early in December, and had it arrive in January.

So, if you use a tube for shipping, I have seen square tubes and hexagonal tubes. Do not use round tubes.

Anyway, I am looking to doing some tin dipping soon. As you might suspect, it has something to do with my never-ending DIY solar+storage system.

Arghhh, but I have some other things less fun but more pressing I need to do. And it has to do with the same project.

Last edited:
Oh no! W2R wasn't enough to keep it going by herself, I guess.

Amazon's Prime Pantry delivery service is no more

They say they'll just roll the items that used to be Pantry into the regular Amazon. I wonder how the shipping cost will work out. The few times I've ordered food products from Amazon the shipping prices were sky high, even with Prime. But there are so many other delivery/contactless pickup options these days. I haven't been in a grocery store in a year. Except an occasional Costco trip during senior hours, which is pretty sparsely populated in my Costco.

They say they'll just roll the items that used to be Pantry into the regular Amazon. I wonder how the shipping cost will work out. The few times I've ordered food products from Amazon the shipping prices were sky high, even with Prime. But there are so many other delivery/contactless pickup options these days. I haven't been in a grocery store in a year. Except an occasional Costco trip during senior hours, which is pretty sparsely populated in my Costco.
The e-mail they sent me (to inform me of Prime Pantry closing) said that I could still get many of the same food items via Amazon Prime, which I still have and which of course would eliminate any shipping charges whatsoever.

I'm still likely to order many of my food items from Target or Walmart, because they seem to be doing a better job for me.

I suspect given that the items are not perishable, and with the move to more and more distribution centers around the country, where amazon vans deliver the shipments vs the USPS, UPS or FecEX the cost differential that large/heavy packages face with the delivery services fades away. If you recall the shipping companies charge more for heavy packages/ very large packages. With distribution centers being built around the country, amazon will move to direct delivery to most large cities. As a result of this change the shipping costs for heavy/large items have decreased to most metro areas. More and more in small towns you find amazon delivering directly to the post office for delivery as well.

The e-mail they sent me (to inform me of Prime Pantry closing) said that I could still get many of the same food items via Amazon Prime, which I still have and which of course would eliminate any shipping charges whatsoever.

I'll make a prediction that Prime Pantry will return in a few years after Amazon has developed a more efficient delivery system based around hundreds of thousands of electric delivery vehicles.:)

I decided that to maintain a more serene, blissful outlook during these nightmarishly stressful times, I need a new, low stress game for my Nintendo Switch. So I ordered this one, a farming game:

Story of Seasons, Friends of Mineral Town

This was $29.99 and I'll receive it via Prime delivery on Monday. I thought about just downloading it from the Nintendo e-shop, but they wanted $49.99 for the same game. For the $20 difference, I'll wait... :D This game looks like so much fun! Look at those cute little faces; who could stay stressed out while playing this game? Hopefully not me...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 41
Back
Top Bottom