What is this?

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I need some help in identifying an antique. I haven't seen the object in person, I just have these two photos. Three hours in to my internet search, I'm still stumped.

I used the Google image tricks imoldernu describes here:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/whos-this-66338.html
None of the similar images were anywhere in the ballpark.

The vents, what may be soot stains on the inside and the shielded red glass piece suggest it is a lantern of some kind, lit up by a flame. So it either was designed for portable use before batteries were common, or it dates to before it's original home was wired for electricity.

I don't think it's railroad brakeman's lantern, because it has no handle. Unless the handle was originally mounted to the "ears" on the body and is missing...

The pictures I found of a R.R. switch lantern all seem to have both a red and green display at 90-degree angles. Same with caboose lights, I think. This lantern looks like it only points in one direction.

"C. U. R 18 - 6 - 40" is the identifier on the tag.

The two "typewriter key" buttons on the top are very puzzling...

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 48
  • picture 2.jpg
    picture 2.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 40
Those ears were probably for the handle, like a leather strap. The two levers on top may lift and lower the discs which could be a red and green one.

Those ears were probably for the handle, like a leather strap. The two levers on top may lift and lower the discs which could be a red and green one.

Could be, but doesn't the position of the levers suggests a travel distance less than the diameter of the discs?

Looks like the levers change places in the slot so the movement may be linear and the discs on a pivot.

I "inherited" a rr lantern and did some research on it. Think I remember one like this. There look like there are a few parts missing though, the handle, the len's that would cover that front funnel, the wick plate. Also could it be a miner's lantern?

I'm going with the idea that it's a conductor's signaling lantern with a mechanism that changes the reflector from red to some other color. aja8888's explanation makes sense, although I can't quite picture how the pieces fit together or operate.

It must be an unusual model. I scanned through 2000 eBay pictures and only found one other lantern that had a mechanism for alternating colors through a single lens. It had a simpler design with the color lenses rotating around a vertical axis, using a sliding knob to change the colors.

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 145
  • $_2.JPG
    $_2.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 145
18-6-40 could be 18-June-1940.
C.U.R. could be someone's intitials.

OK, it's a casket lantern … available only in Europe during the WWII and used for burials during blackouts.
j/k

Last edited:
Well, it must be pretty unique, whatever it is. (It's definitely not a stop light as listed.)

It sold today for $110 in a City of Houston online surplus auction.

Looks like a lantern, and the two pedals on the top could change between a red and green reflector when punched down.

Looks like a lantern, and the two pedals on the top could change between a red and green reflector when punched down.

I think so - my searching found references to 'classification lights' on trains - a single lantern with switchable colored lenses to identify the train (like if it is a 'special' train, running off-schedule or something).

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom