What is this thing? Plumbing?

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW and I stayed in a high-end resort over the weekend.

In the shower (not a tub) there was this chrome thing down in the back about 8 inches off the floor, a foot long. (see photo).

I thought it might be some sort of shut off or something but no, it just hangs out from the shower wall. I tried pulling/pushing/twisting; nada.

I've spent half my life living in hotels but have never seen something like this nor could I figure out what it's purpose might be. There's plenty of hooks to hang towels and such; I'm stumped.

20180717_075951.jpg

Maybe for a lady to put her foot on while shaving her legs?

Not sure, but maybe a mini shelf for women to rest foot while shaving legs. Guess some guys may use it as well ;)

Just a guess, but maybe a place to rest your foot? Many women like to shave their legs in the shower and that could make it easier.

An exercise bar for rats and other rodents? (just thinking outside the box here..)

Just a guess, but maybe a place to rest your foot? Many women like to shave their legs in the shower and that could make it easier.

Thought of that...most likely.

An exercise bar for rats and other rodents? (just thinking outside the box here..)

Entirely possible.

Was it a steam shower? If so, I wonder if it had something to do with that?

No, no steam...I even did look for water/steam outlets.

Its a storage rack for your rubber duck. :) My guess is that its a place to hang a wet washcloth while bathing so that you don't just lose it in the bath water. Placed near the back of the tub so that you don't have to sit up move a lot to get to it.
Is it strong enough to also have a grab bar purpose? To help you pull yourself up from prone to sitting maybe?

Last edited:
A place for a short person to hang their loofah.

Or maybe posts 2,3, and 4 are on target. Doesn't look like a comfortable place to rest a foot though.

Thanks. You guys are brilliant!!

Good to know! My next guess was going to be a hitching post for when you bathe your miniature pony or poodle. :LOL:

Yes, the tub spout is often called into service for this task. The plastic ones can not take the stress for long leading to an internal crack that can leak into the wall undetected. this is a known problem to plumbers.

Mid level hotels have something similar, except it is molded in the plastic or a tile shelf.

With back problems, I find it handy to lift a leg for washing. Shaving not required. :)

Back
Top Bottom