What is your favorite rock music decade?

Wow, early Jethro Tull up to Agualung, Clapton/Cream, Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Mahavishnu Orchestra, most of the Woodstock bands, and Joni Mitchell. So 64-74.

For all those responding "70s," are there any more modern bands you do like?

My desire for finding new bands fell through the floor beginning in the 80's - was busy with work, and radio and record stores were the only easy exposure to something different.

In the last few years have re-discovered some 90's bands - INXS, Squeeze, Split Enz/Crowded House, Smithereens and a few others I heard on Sirius/XM's First Wave. Also got into Motown and R&B/Soul, mostly from the 60's and 70's.

Only thing that would qualify as a "modern" in my library is Bowling For Soup and P!nk.

Last edited:
My desire for finding new bands fell through the floor beginning in the 80's - was busy with work, and radio and record stores were the only easy exposure to something different.

In the last few years have re-discovered some 90's bands - INXS, Squeeze, Split Enz/Crowded House, Smithereens and a few others I heard on Sirius/XM's First Wave. Also got into Motown and R&B/Soul, mostly from the 60's and 70's.

Only thing that would qualify as a "modern" in my library is Bowling For Soup and P!nk.

I believe INXS, Squeeze, etc... that you name are all 80's bands. Great decade for sure.

I feel kinda creepy listening to bands that are very much younger than me. :D Plus, back then I had more time to listen to rock and all of the other music genres I like... a lot of that time got crowded out since then.

I don't think I listened to much rock beyond the U2/INXS/Red Hot Chili Peppers/Metallica era... is Gorillaz classified as a rock band? :)

Last edited:
Probably 70's for me as well. Although I like from 50's to 00's as long as it is rock and roll. No disco, rap or top 40 type, can't stand those. Favorite is probably album oriented rock, but can listen to heavy metal, punk, hair bands, punk, alternative. One funny thing is the music stations on the radio that I like are the classic rock or oldies stations. Not any top 40 or "urban" stations. Not a big country fan, although I like some of it. I actually listen to talk radio more in the car than music. But always have music on when working on the garage, or when goofing off on the computer.

Originally Posted by FlaGator
In the last few years have re-discovered some 90's bands - INXS, Squeeze, Split Enz/Crowded House, Smithereens and a few others I heard on Sirius/XM's First Wave. Also got into Motown and R&B/Soul, mostly from the 60's and 70's

I believe INXS, Squeeze, etc... that you name are all 80's bands. Great decade for sure.

Yes, all those bands were active in the 80's and all but one had life in the 90's. My mistake on Split Enz.;)

Album release decades:
INXS - 80's into the 90's
Squeeze - late 70's into the 90's
Split Enz - 80's
Crowded House - 80's into the 90's
Smithereens - 80's into the 90's

If I had to pick, it would be the 70's. But, it's really about the band regardless of the era.

Beatles
Tom Petty
Pink Floyd
Alice Cooper
Blue Rodeo
Tragically Hip
Allman Brothers
David Bowie

great post. 1968-1977. Beatles, Stones, Elton, CCR, Rod Stewart and Faces, J. Geils Band, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CSNY, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, the Ramones, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Springsteen, Carole King, James Taylor, Jackson Browne. I actually saw Elvis Presley in concert near the end.

Is anyone in this era going to ever come up with an all-time classic song that will be played for decades like Stairway to Heaven, Hey Jude, Bohemiam Rhapsody, Sympathy for the Devil, Layla, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, Like a Rolling Stone, Won't Get Fooled Again, Thunder Road - - I DON'T THINK SO! Kind of sad.

Is anyone in this era going to ever come up with an all-time classic song that will be played for decades like Stairway to Heaven, Hey Jude, Bohemiam Rhapsody, Sympathy for the Devil, Layla, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, Like a Rolling Stone, Won't Get Fooled Again, Thunder Road - - I DON'T THINK SO! Kind of sad.

Actually, I think of Coldplay's "Clocks" as a recent classic in that vein... that struck me and a unique song with that piano riff, and I can listen to that over and over like many of the ones you mentioned.

Back in the day a lot of the music industry executives and insiders had a musical background and would let a band develop. For example, Supertramp's first 2 releases didn't even chart but people thought there was something there and sure enough, their third release "Crime of the Century" was a hit.

But, had they come out 20 or so years later when the suits and money counters took over many of the record labels, they would have been dropped after the first CD with no hits.

I suppose what your favorite era was is influenced a great deal by your age, and, well, many of us grew up in the 60s and 70s. In some ways, the era of the "album" is actually somewhat of an anomaly in pop music. Since the advent of the phonograph, and of broadcast radio, the norm has been a catchy 2:30 tune. Not many radio stations played longer cuts, or non-hits. The ones that did were mostly classical or jazz format. Albums still have a following, but the "single" rules, especially with streaming music, and short attention spans...

65-74 for me, definitely a function of my age and a period when I enjoyed building and putting together a decent stereo system (dynaco, dual/thorens, revox).

Early 2000s I recall eldest daughter being incredulous that I knew Lenny Kravitz' AMERICAN WOMAN and could speak to her "intelligently" about it. I think she was kind of disappointed when I played her the original by the Guess Who from 1970. I'm sure she felt like she had been betrayed by HER generation of "heroes." Still, it was a good bonding time for us.

Oddly, youngest daughter ONLY liked 60s/70s oldies and country. Go figure.

I don't see a reason to pick a decade, I've loved music my whole life, and still do. And my varied tastes have changed some over the many years, although The Beatles are still the greatest group of all time IMHO, especially in the context of their era. Among my iTunes playlists:
  • 60's - 251 songs
  • 70's - 337
  • 80's - 435
  • 90's - 444
  • 00's - 479
  • 10's - 124
But that's NOT a reflection of my favorites as much as what's available (and not) for download and ripping from my own CD's. Almost all my LP's are long gone, never made it to digital.

I only lost interest in popular music a few years ago. Never developed a taste for rap/hip-hop or the completely synthesized "artists." Fortunately some of the new artists can actually still play instruments themselves or use actual musicians. Was enjoying some Ed Sheeran just this morning.

Last edited:
Back in the day a lot of the music industry executives and insiders had a musical background and would let a band develop. For example, Supertramp's first 2 releases didn't even chart but people thought there was something there and sure enough, their third release "Crime of the Century" was a hit.

But, had they come out 20 or so years later when the suits and money counters took over many of the record labels, they would have been dropped after the first CD with no hits.

If I had to name my favorite group and album ever, it would be Supertramp and Crime of the Century.

Early 2000s I recall eldest daughter being incredulous that I knew Lenny Kravitz' AMERICAN WOMAN and could speak to her "intelligently" about it. I think she was kind of disappointed when I played her the original by the Guess Who from 1970. I'm sure she felt like she had been betrayed by HER generation of "heroes." Still, it was a good bonding time for us.

Oddly, youngest daughter ONLY liked 60s/70s oldies and country. Go figure.
Always amazes me. I still see teenagers wearing Zeppelin, Beatles and other t-shirts and wonder - you weren't even born yet? I was at a (free) Spazmatics concert last summer (they play old covers) and the 15 year old boy next to us with his two Moms knew the words to every song - I was astonished. I asked him how he knew old music so well, and his Mom's said "we've raised him right." Indeed.

Last edited:
great post. 1968-1977. Beatles, Stones, Elton, CCR, Rod Stewart and Faces, J. Geils Band, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CSNY, Bob Dylan, Patti Smith, Lou Reed, the Ramones, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Springsteen, Carole King, James Taylor, Jackson Browne.

Some of these artists and songs, we listen to them on a weekly basis. Mostly U.K. Bands though. Originally we didn't like Cold Play band at all, the lead singer can't sing, but after getting VIP tickets to his concert last summer, his band is now on the list.

I've often wondered about this. What will "oldies" stations play in 25 years? I can't think of a memorable "tune" (maybe even a band) since the 90s. I know, I know. Old fuddy duddy. Guilty as charged. But still, can anyone think of an "anthem" equivalent to the ones mentioned by Alvin Tostig? If so, have I heard of it?

It makes me think that my generation actually thought of music differently than today's generations. I recall when I would have gladly given up my TV but not my stereo. I'm betting today, folks would give up their music devices before giving up their social media devices. I could be wrong. I was once so YMMV.

50's
American Bandstand
Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Little Richard, Freddy Boom Boom Cannon.. et al. :dance:

60's for me and not even close. So much diversity and the British Invasion, early Stones and I'm just a faint Beatles fan.

imoldernu, great list. The songs my three year older sister listened to. Surprised you didn't have Richie Valens, Paul Anka, Buddy Holly

Edit for typo

Last edited:
I went from late 80's rock to Raffi*, and didn't emerge for 20 years.

*eeples and baneenees

I enjoyed bringing my daughters to shows in the 90s and 00's.
Listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and the other grunge bands with DD1, Biggie, Puff Daddy, Kanye with DD2.
Now enjoying Kat Edmunds ( more pop jazz than RnR), Poor Mans Whiskey, as younger performers.
Saw The Mavericks last night, Asleep At The Wheel and Todd Rundgren tonight.

For me, about 1965-1978, a little more than a decade! I liked a lot of "folk rock" but oh how I loved David Clayton Thomas! (Sadly, BST is completely reformed now and the lead singer pretty awful.) Love this Laura Nyro song:

Back
Top Bottom