What is your thermostat set at?

We run our house fan 24/7 to keep good circulation.

Here in Washington state building codes require fresh air ventilation systems. For folks with central air that gets baked into the HVAC system. We have individual room heaters, so we had to get windows with special vents at the top. Then we have a ceiling fan in the laundry room that exhausts stale air so fresh air can come in through the window vents.

We only run ours about 12 hours a day (6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off), but it makes a noticeable difference in our indoor air quality. The house always smells fresh, no stale air like our previous homes.

Of course, we essentially have an open hole at every window, so the heaters have to overcome the cold air that comes in through the vents. Even so, our electric bill is half of what it was for our previous home.

Thankfully, unless it's an extremely cold day you can't feel the cool air coming in unless you stand right below the window vent. They have shutters we can close when needed, but we've never done that in 15+ years of living here (except to keep out smoke from forest fires a couple years ago).

I am surprised how many people have AC. I guess I'm fortunate to live in a part of the country that never really gets that hot. We've never had AC in any of our homes. A really hot day is a treat for us. :)

Here in Washington state building codes require fresh air ventilation systems. For folks with central air that gets baked into the HVAC system. We have individual room heaters, so we had to get windows with special vents at the top. Then we have a ceiling fan in the laundry room that exhausts stale air so fresh air can come in through the window vents.

We only run ours about 12 hours a day (6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off), but it makes a noticeable difference in our indoor air quality. The house always smells fresh, no stale air like our previous homes.

Of course, we essentially have an open hole at every window, so the heaters have to overcome the cold air that comes in through the vents. Even so, our electric bill is half of what it was for our previous home.

Thankfully, unless it's an extremely cold day you can't feel the cool air coming in unless you stand right below the window vent. They have shutters we can close when needed, but we've never done that in 15+ years of living here (except to keep out smoke from forest fires a couple years ago).

I am surprised how many people have AC. I guess I'm fortunate to live in a part of the country that never really gets that hot. We've never had AC in any of our homes. A really hot day is a treat for us. :)

We lived in North Bend at the gate that closed I 90 when there was to much snow. We bought a $300K home there 20 years ago, no A/C I couldn't believe it. We did have the whole house fan and a heavily wooded lot. And frigging elk that ate our landscaping.

Heat and A/C set to 69. DW can't stand the summer heat anymore. In addition to our furnace, we run the wood stove November to March.

It is crazy that we have the heat on today. Charlotte, NC set a record low of 36 this morning.

Turn it off for the summer. In the winter it is set to 70 during the day and 60 at night.

What's a thermostat? :LOL:

Sorry, so used to living in Mexico where pretty much no one has any central heat or air.

69 in my hangout “the parlor” but the gas stove is in the room so it is really comfortable. She has it 68 but is always under a blanket. 59 at night ...though it only drops that low on the coldest of days.

65 day/night for heat in a 100 year old house in Seattle, no A/C and the house gets hot AF in the summer and I mean, I lived in Nevada for a while. Blecch

65 day/night for heat in a 100 year old house in Seattle, no A/C and the house gets hot AF in the summer and I mean, I lived in Nevada for a while. Blecch
We had a 100 year old house, no A/C so I feel your pain. Have you looked at a whole house fan? That helped a lot for us. And a few window A/C units

For heat 65 and lower to 62 at night. For AC 68 or maybe 65 for sleep or add the ceiling fan.

New England.

68 degrees for AC and 64 degrees for heat on very rare occasions since we live in SE Texas.

Heat 68 during the day, 62 at night...rarely gets that cold in the house anyway.
Cool 78 from 6am-12, 75 to supercool until 3pm, 87 until 6pm. This is because we are on a timed program with our utility. It rarely rises above 80 in the main living area when we pre-cool to 75. Then, overnight it is set at 74 for better sleep.

Heat: 74 during the day 68 at night.
("Lost" the fight with my ex to keep it cooler early in our marriage, got used to it and haven't changed back even though I could)

A/C :78-80
(manually make it lower if it's feeling too hot inside, especially when trying to sleep)

Winter: 72 day, 62 night
Summer: 72 day, 67 night

I'm in LA for now(the swampy southern state, not Lower Alabama, or Los Angeles).

Summer: AC is at 70 during the day and 68/sometimes 66 at night.
Winter: heat is set at 72 during the day and 70 at night.

When it is available, I set it to similiar temps in the other cold and warm weather states I have lived in.

We don't have a thermostat. No heater, no A/C. Living in Hawaii, with open windows and doors, and a few ceiling fans. When it gets really hot, I turn on the Vornado fan!

Winter 65 in the day, 60 at night

Summer 78 in the day, 70 at night

Our heating and cooling bills are very low

Here in NW Fl summers we keep the t'stat set at 78 during the day and 77 at nite with 50-55% humidity
Winters are 68 during day and 65 at nite.

68 for heat, turn off at night. Never use air conditioning.

Pretty much 72 degrees for heating and cooling year round----sometimes tweak it a bit to maximize our comfort.

Back
Top Bottom