What the heck is this??? A Manifesto!

anyone notice that this board has been taken down from the homepage....

The Retire Early Home Page.

It just now links to intercst's board...first the software changeover, mass modulator resignations, locking out T-Al, this, and ***** showing up.....is the end near?

Dory and Intercst had a gentlemens agreement to link to each others page.

Seems there are different gentlemen involved these days, and I also note that the link to intercsts page from this one isnt there anymore. I think it was "link to the retireearlyhomepage, the mother lode of ER information" or some such?

No further quid pro quo...

Tracking hocsu's follies has become a hobby for Mr. Greaney from what I can tell. Hocsu has been trying to convince financial writers like Jonathan Clements and Scott Burns that Firecalc and Greaney's calculators are dangerous. Meanwhile hocsu left his job with inadequate savings and plans to get rich with self published books. Amusing reviews of his first effort at Amazon.

Amazon.com: Passion Saving the Path to Plentiful Free Time and Soul-satisfying Work: Books: Rob Bennett

The copies that were listed there were apparently given to reviewers.

Amazon.com Sales Stats: Current number of books for sale: 2,594,225

Seems they put some kind of plastic meat skewer into the book category by accident and its sales exceeded that of hosucs book.

Oh man, I didn't realize that he was self-published when I made the comment about it not mattering if you wrote a book or note, any monkey can get their work published because media outlets are starved for content.

One of my books is ranked #936,221 on Amazon and it has everything going against it (technical books don't age well, this one came out in 2002 and the publisher went out of business during the first quarter of sales [sales channels hate to sell books from defunct publishers, they can't return unsold inventory])

July 2007

If you have some time to read through a bunch of incongruous thoughts all strung together, there are actually a half dozen good laughs in this little missive.

It'll give you a nice perspective of the hocoloco mindset, and is an excellent example of hocomania.

I'm not retired yet; I'll save it for retirement in oh, 7 to 10 or so years.

I don't have time to read *****' stuff, although I did nose around T-Al's forum and saw something about wab not posting to this forum anymore.

Why'd wab leave? Or is this too controversial to ask?

I'm not retired yet; I'll save it for retirement in oh, 7 to 10 or so years.

I don't have time to read *****' stuff, although I did nose around T-Al's forum and saw something about wab not posting to this forum anymore.

Why'd wab leave? Or is this too controversial to ask?

Why is the sky blue; why does rain fall?

Wab is young, he has a woman to play with. Many of us here either need a lot of playtime, or we are otherwise having trouble filling our dance cards.

I am on more today becaue the rain has returned to Paradise and I don't want to get my feet wet.

Ha

Knowing that a few posters have been banned in the past, I just hoped he wasn't or that he didn't leave angry.

In the end, I just gotta get used to forums--people come, people go. People find better things to do; sometimes they pop back in or leave for good.

Why is the sky blue; why does rain fall?

Jeez, Ha, you sound like my 4-year-old. :)

It has been a nice summer, but I'm not sure my adventures can compare to the recent excitement of this place!

Who killed SG? Will Nords really use the Neutron Bomb and put everybody on his ignore list? Is OAP really DLAT? Is CFB cute? Fuzzy?

Too much fun! Back to lurking for now. Oh, and I decided to retire the Wab persona. Say hello to Twaddle!

Jeez, Ha, you sound like my 4-year-old. :)
Too much fun! Back to lurking for now. Oh, and I decided to retire the Wab persona. Say hello to Twaddle!

Hello, shadowy figger! :)

Ha

Run Bunny!!

July 2007

If you have some time to read through a bunch of incongruous thoughts all strung together, there are actually a half dozen good laughs in this little missive.

It'll give you a nice perspective of the hocoloco mindset, and is an excellent example of hocomania.

Now he is after the Bunny! OMG! Run Bunny, Run!!

Since he is now hunt'in down the old Bunny, wonder if suhoc has ever been snipe hunt'in? We have an opening this Saturday night.............:D.

Hillbilly

***** has managed to get hundreds of people to talk about him for years. The joy that has given him is immeasurable. :p

Twaddle/Wab, good to hear from you!

Well the hunting thing is sort of unclear. It seems he wants to farm me.

The minute I hear a banjo playing, I'm outta here.

Bunny: I'm glad one of us understood what he was saying [-]and it wasn't me...[/-] :cool:

Oh I dont get it either. Dudes off his meds. Or desperately needs some.

But its kinda funny to watch a pair of lonely brain atoms slowly circle around each other in some sort of horrible decaying elliptical orbit...producing words at random intervals in semi-sensible sentence structures.

Do you think he believes that the winner of an argument is based on the number of words used? Everytime I find myself duped into reading one of these links, I realize about 30 seconds into it that I'll need to take a break halfway and get a snack because each post is a novelette.

Well heres the 90 second ***** primer.

Some folks who endured him over at TMF or morningstar (I forget which) who have actual psychiatry experience determined that he has some psychosis...I think it was schizophrenia...based on watching his discourse over several years.

Some folks think he's just someone who retired too early with not enough money and either very bored or desperate to figure out how to sell some books to make ends meet.

I have a different take. I think that he's definitely got some sort of mental issue/boredom thing going on and he's a bit of what I like to call an 'organizational wrecker'. He likes to approach well reasoned people and present them with a series of discussion topics which have some marginally accessible root points, but then he throws in enough additional disconnected stuff that an organized person will comment on or challenge.

He then takes these well reasoned people and wanders with them off of the root points deeper and deeper into la la land. Until they figure out that he's really not particularly interested in a reasonable discussion and they figure out he needs to have a burning bag of poo left on his doorstep. After enough of this 'hilarity', the forum in question bans him.

It seems early retirees are exactly the sort of logical, well reasoned people that Rob finds easiest to bait and trap. Or farm or whatever is in his brain du jour.

He has a little pet, John Russell (aka JWR1945) that I think actually is eating some of the horsepuckey that Rob throws off and John carefully crafts financial models and data based arguments that have giant holes you can drive a truck through, but in aggregate they sort of back up the vague principals that this clever but limited troll bases his little routine on.

The origins of this, still fitting within the 90 seconds (i'm a fast typer, hope you're a fast reader) is that ***** felt that 4% was too much and that stocks were overvalued, and that we should all spend less and duck and cover until equities became more fairly valued. As I mentioned before, by his metrics, equities have been overvalued since the early 90's.

All fair and reasonable. Until he gets into the conspiracies, death threats, and all the rest of the nutty baggage.

But it seems he has no trouble looping newbies into his routine, and he's got a faithful stable of fascinated groupies over at another ER board that seem to be doing a good job at his care and feeding.

He also has a knack for digging in and finding out personal details about people and then trying to use them as leverage on people. Their real names, where they live, their kids names, where their grandchildren go to school...that sort of thing :p

I was suckered in for about two days. I noticed one thing; you ask the guy to give you solid math and he replies with a long post about how he's asked Dory for an open debate on the topic. The poor man's debate parry, basically.

And, it should take someone about 5 minutes on Google to figure out my real name, my favorite forums, and the type of camera I shoot with. I notice since I've had this nickname, though, that some people released a crappy computer a long time ago and other people have started using the same nickname.

Dont feel bad, I was suckered too for a while. I came into the ER forum world about the time he was re-allowed to post at a couple of sites by the forum administrators, allegedly for some kind of cash payment. That caused a bunch of users to stop going to those forums and start their own, and one of the forums that let him back in ceased operating after most of its users left.

Anyhow, I had no history on the idiot, and everyone seemed excessively inflamed about the whole thing. I screwed up and stood up for him...he seemed rather reasonable at the time. He's a lot nuttier now.

Which interestingly enough seems to be the case with a slice of ER's. Early retirement actually does make you crazy sometimes, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom