What the heck is this??? A Manifesto!

There goes the neighborhood...

BMJ, mods are fine, but without them we can trash the &*^$^#@ out of butt-monkey.

Gotta be tongue in cheek!

Last edited:
Based on that manifesto, I hope we get some mods quick, as I know Martha, Rich, and ReWahoo retired........:eek:

Have no fear, fellow forumites. I have an ample supply of animals and food items.

I'm just surprised that howsuc didnt address the whole part about how he started threatening peoples kids. Odd for him to allow that to pass without comment, since pretty much nothing else did.

As far as the combination of things required to produce such a stream of warm, smelly air...I'm thinking a little schizophrenia, 20mg of ambien and a half a bottle of jack daniels.

As Nords has pointed out, ER sometimes produces undesirable results. Or as I like to put it...a vacuum is sometimes better than some of the things nature decides to fill it with.

If you find intercst's argument's convincing, its just that he has entered into a manic phase.

For those of us who are relatively new, who is "intercst"? Is he/she the same poster as "hokus" (spelled phonetically)?

For those of us who are relatively new, who is "intercst"? Is he/she the same poster as "hokus" (spelled phonetically)?

Intercst is the progenitor of pretty much all of the FIRE boards I am aware of. He is a far, far cry from the assclown in question.

Oh dear Lord, no.

"intercst" is a fellow by the name of John Greaney. He retired at the age of 38, started and maintains the The Retire Early Home Page. website, and developed the original Excel spreadsheet upon which FIREcalc, a retire early calculator, is based. He was an engineer in his professional life who invested a lot in common stocks, particularly technology and pharmaceuticals. He also was the unofficial leader of the REHP ("Retire Early Home Page", a reference to his website) board on the Motley Fool message boards for a long time. Last I heard he was single and living in Texas.

"*****" is another fellow by the name of Rob Bennett. In my opinion, a nice enough guy, but he does tend to post really long, rambling posts which some think tend to say a lot without meaning anything. He also, I believe, "retired early" with a wife and two (?) young kids, but some of his retirement was supposed to be funded by a part time job as a personal finance writer / author. Sometimes it is hard to get Rob to answer a straightforward question. Many think *****' plan for early retirement is not well thought out.

Anyway, ***** was a poster at the Motley Fool, and then at intercst's website message boards, and I think he was even a poster here for a while. ***** has been banned or ostracized from many message boards.

***** is a bit of a troll. Intercst seems to have taken pleasure in poking fun at ***** for the past several years. For whom that is a moral victory it is a tossup, in my opinion.

2Cor521

Edit: As you can see, if you spell his screen name correctly, this board's software turns it into a series of asterisks. The correct spelling of his name (backwards) is sucoh.

I've tried to understand, but as near as I can tell his writing is a long string of platitudes with no science or substance. I think it'd actually be a compelling counter-argument if there was something of merit.

Thanks Brewer and 2Cor521.

2Cor521, that historical summary really helps - thanks for that.

P.S. I noticed the software wouldn't allow ***** which is why I spelled it "hokus".

Heres another historical summary.

If you invested per the hocoloco recommendations, you would not have owned any equities since 1994.

Heres another historical summary.

If you invested per the hocoloco recommendations, you would not have owned any equities since 1994.

And, if I understand it correctly, historically, the two most dangerous positions to be in are 100% stock or 100% bond. One of the brains at Diehards recently reposted his simulations for allocation growth over 40, 20, and 10 year periods. 90/10 showed a much smoother curve than 100/0 with no appreciable disadvantage in growth. Likewise 0/100 in 'stable' bonds could be characterized as a losing battle with inflation.

So, h0cus's investment strategy could actually be chacterized as very risky. And he claims that intercst has it all wrong.... (without being able to make a coherent, math-based point in less than 500 words)

You know, at some point, you have to wonder how much of this is just a desparate publicity stunt to generate interest and traffic. If you're counting on book sales, you'd better create a stir to get those book sales up.

Whoa, what a post!

Unintended consequences, exactly.

I didn't know anything about this drama until this thread popped up. I tried to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but he's incredibly long winded. And after reading his site for a bit, I've come to the conclusion there is no actual content in it. Or if it is, it's buried so deeply so as to prevent actually finding it unless you are already FIRE :)

love the bunny pancake beret. was that instead of french toast?

Hey, I do some nice work once in a while... ;)

I think i've got french toast around here somewhere...

Shoot, I cant find it, must be on the big computer. How about a picture of a cat with its head in a bag?

Attachments

• cat head bag.jpg
    cat head bag.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 183
CFB. As an aside....

We switched to a new vendor to handle printing policies for one of our lines of business. As a test of the integration (things had to be PGPed and SFTPed to the vendor), we sent them a copy of pancake bunny.

The resulting conversation went something like...

"We got the file"
Great, were you unable to decrypt it?
"We think so"
Well, did it print correctly?
"We're not sure"
Not sure? What's the problem?
"Well, it's an image of a bunny with a pancake on its head"
Yep, you got the file correctly. Integration successful!

:2funny:

let me know if theres another test. I've got a cat with some bacon on its head, just dying to be unleashed...

Back
Top Bottom