What to bring the bereaved?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
An elderly aunt (93) passed away and we will be attending a funeral breakfast at her granddaughter's home, then the funeral service itself. I have never met this granddaughter.

What would be an appropriate gift or token to bring to the home? We are not sending flowers.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Amethyst

I assume the granddaughter is in her 40's, 50's...

Do you have a pic of her grandmother...one when she was in her youth or one that she's laughing or in a fun pose? If so, you could put it in a nice frame and give that to her.

Other ideas would be a scrap book for her pics or a small, ornate box for her to store small items that belonged to her grandmother.

bbbamI..what wonderful, thoughtful, sensitive suggestions!!

I know if someone gave me a gift like that when my 92 YO mom passes I would cherish it more than ANYTHING you could buy....

I assume the granddaughter is in her 40's, 50's...

Do you have a pic of her grandmother...one when she was in her youth or one that she's laughing or in a fun pose? If so, you could put it in a nice frame and give that to her.

Other ideas would be a scrap book for her pics or a small, ornate box for her to store small items that belonged to her grandmother.

Totally agree.

When I lost a dear friend last year (she wasn't much into having her picture taken). Her daughter gaved me a framed picture of my friend with me and her dog (my little buddy who passed away too) together Christmas morning a couple of year ago and I treasure that photo so much.

Unfortunately, I have no photos of the deceased lady. Thank you for the ideas, though.

A.

You may find something of interest here :

Funeral Gifts by GiftTree

Take care Amethyst

An elderly aunt (93) passed away and we will be attending a funeral breakfast at her granddaughter's home, then the funeral service itself. I have never met this granddaughter.

What would be an appropriate gift or token to bring to the home? We are not sending flowers.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Amethyst

bbbamI hit a home run with her idea for a photo. Impressive :cool:

I have an idea derived from bbbamI's idea...buy a really beautiful classy frame for the grand-daughter. Get 2 or 3 different sizes of the same type frame, or mix and match. They will get put to use.

Bring a HUG and a story about the deceased lady. Maybe she has a good one to tell you.

Offer to help with the breakfast operation. ANY small task will be a great help.

My concolences on your family's loss.

Condolences, Amethyst

Gifts are not usually expected when families get together to celebrate the life and passing of one their own. Something personal that can be shared with the others, such as a memento or gift, along with a story that can be told. Or just a memory that can be shared.

When I was grieving the things I appreciated were a bouquet of flowers ( no plants ), nice caring cards & just people remembering special things about my loved one .

Back
Top Bottom