What was your happiest moment today?

Wow! I just got back from a walk/run around our neighborhood and others for a little over an hour. What a gorgeous day here in Grand Rapids, MI! It's around 58 degrees and the sun is shining brightly! I sure loved seeing the blue sky and green all around me. It seems spring has really sprung! Hope you all are getting out a bit (while maintaining social distancing, of course! :)) and enjoying life during these very strange times.

Went for a hike and saw bighorn sheep, a lizard I’ve never seen before, a ribbon snake, and lots of beautiful flowers and scenery.
IMG_5934.jpgIMG_5954.jpgIMG_5952.jpg

Interesting how many of these have to do with nature. Mine: this year my bird feeders have been attracting a lot more goldfinches than I've ever seen. I thought it might be the seed mix I bought at the specialty store but last I checked it was closed, with a sign saying they hoped to be open 4/4. I didn't check- sadly, in trying to restrict my outings, stops for specialty products are out. I bought a higher-priced mix (compared to their average) from the grocery store. I refilled the feeders and the goldfinches are eating it! It's been interesting to watch their plumage colors change- a month ago they were barely recognizable as goldfinches and now the males are bright yellow.

Now, sitting out back in the shade, with smoke from the pellet grill wafting by. It's sunny and 80 something right now. Trying a new-to-me chipotle chicken recipe, smoked on the grill, of course. The key ingredient is ancho peppers. I bought a whole pound of dried ancho pepper powder.

I felt very satisfied today after I put together two new raised beds for home garden. I filled them with new potting soil and will put my plants in soon. We down-sized last year and didn't have a garden. I'm ready to plant my tomatoes, cucs, okra, peppers, peas, watermelons... Love the spring!

Now, sitting out back in the shade, with smoke from the pellet grill wafting by. It's sunny and 80 something right now. Trying a new-to-me chipotle chicken recipe, smoked on the grill, of course. The key ingredient is ancho peppers. I bought a whole pound of dried ancho pepper powder.

Love my pellet smoker. It turns my average cooking skills into something approaching a master griller!

I had a nice double bourbon rocks at 5:01 pm and schemed a spring project in the garage. Also found 4 rolls of TP today at the Ace hardware store today when DW and I went for a bike ride. Sweet! Pro-tip: We coasted up and asked staff in the outside plant area if they had TP. One guy checked inside then came back out and said, “Yep, 4 roll limit”, so I donned my version of a hazmat suit and braved the aisles. Then we detoxed me outside and continued our ride, showboating our 4 rolls in my bike basket. Then some oblivious delinquent moron idiot nearly ran me over head on in his stupid “muscle car” doing about 50 while suddenly passing another car on a neighborhood street, with his mirror nearly hitting my leg. I thought for a split second I was going to be airborne. That took the fun out of our ride, hence the double bourbon. I’m all better.

Last edited:
Went to pick up takeout from a local restaurant - next to a sign explaining some new procedures was a handwritten note, “1 roll toilet paper $1 - limit 4”. Never, ever, did I imagine being offered a side of TP with dinner.

Maybe people were complaining the food was crappy.. ;)

Got together with DB, DSI and niece last night. Sat 6 ft away and wore masks. Still, it was almost like old times. Haven't seen them in over 8 weeks. We used to get together @ once/week. Everyone got overly excited and started planning an Easter dinner. I got home, thought about it and declined. DB, DSI have essential jobs and still are in contact with people.

Had another happy moment today, on another 5-mile hike. The hiking is keeping me sane during this “shelter in place” time. Luckily hiking trails are still open, and people are encouraged to hike alone, which I usually do.IMG_5973.jpgIMG_5976.jpg

That looks lovely. I'm envious as I had to go to work today.

It is so beautiful and serene. Couldn’t hike today as it rained most of the day. Sorry you had to go to work and hope it is a safe environment for you. Stay well!

Using an online tutorial to successfully make a couple of face masks.

Having it finally be 70*, and sunny. It makes my yard projects much easier to do.

Taking a walk with DH, beautiful sunny morning.

Despite the various supply chain interruptions we are all experiencing, finally

*** I HAVE DETERGENT!!! ***
:dance: :clap:
Glory Hallelujah. I had almost run out. I feel like a special Princess. I got what I wanted.

I have been trying to get some delivered since late February or early March. F says the supermarkets here are completely out of He detergent, and I have purposely not been to one for five weeks so I can't just blithely jump from store to store looking myself. We are overly picky about detergent, because both of us are either allergic or sensitive to perfumes in our detergent, or else we just don't like the smelly stuff? Anyway we feel like it just HAS to be scent free.

So, I have been trying to get Tide Free and Gentle He liquid detergent which appears to be available online.... but every time I order it, either it is completely damaged and had to be cancelled because of that (one time), or was delayed and finally cancelled for other unspecified reasons (two times). But just now, even though it shows as out of stock by now, it was DELIVERED! Wahoo!!!! Or to bring out the Aggie in me, Whoop! Yee-Hah!! It was delivered from Wal-mart by Fedex. I guess Fedex is back in my good graces now.

This time, the only bottle available was the hugest bottle I have ever seen, twice as big as I usually get, so I have a LOT of detergent! Fine with me. I have a funnel, and the old (smaller) bottle to pour it into, so I won't have to lift this bigger, heavier bottle. Now we are set for detergent probably until late summer or early fall.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 171
Me and my boys picked a bucket of blackberries this afternoon. Fresh blackberry cobbler with ice cream is on the menu for tonight...

DW & I went for a relaxing swim at the beach here on the island of Bequia. We are caught in the border closures & cant return to Canada from our winter travels. Snow & cold at home....not missing that much.

Me and my boys picked a bucket of blackberries this afternoon. Fresh blackberry cobbler with ice cream is on the menu for tonight...

We won't be seeing backyard blackberries until last week in June! I just took all of last year's crop from the freezer and made some wine. I had to supplement my 20 pounds with 5 pounds from the store about 2 weeks ago.

^^It was 86 degrees here today...
We had 90 degrees at 2:30pm, but during the next hour we experienced the following:

• Temperature dropped from 90 to 64 degrees
  • Wind speeds went from 2-5 mph to 15-33 mph with some pretty strong gusts
  • Had about 0.6" of rain, some small hail, and a couple lightning strikes real close by
Having lived in the Bay Area of California all of my adult life until late 2018, the weather in central Texas is a completely different experience. Hour to hour and day to day changes can be rather spectacular. DW loves it. Happy wife ...

Last edited:
Woke up to rain but it cleared briefly for this....IMG_20200409_065524.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom