What You Tube Channels Do You Subscribe To?

Main ones I watch are:

- NDYakAngler
- Sam the Cooking Guy
- Ghost Town Living
- Simple Living Alaska
- Outkick
- Dr Sam Baily
- SUV RVing
- Slim Potatohead
- Experior Golf

My Science, Tech List

Tech Ingredients
Cody'sLab
EEVblog
AvE
NightHawkInLight
Technology Connections
TheBackyardScientist
Build Something Cool
Applied Science
Fran Blanche
Eric Goodchild

A young lady having an adventure living in a Van.
Alexandria Tejas

Talented Musician, more enjoyable videos before Covid shutdown.
DØVYDAS

Poker- Texas Hold’em
PokerStars

I have stated this before, but I like the channel Bald and bankrupt. Mr. bald is quite the character. He can make things that have been overlooked in the world and bring it to life. He just has something, I am not sure what it is , but people can't get enough of it.

+1 -- I just posted a link to one of the B&B videos to the "favorite beer" thread on this forum. It's the one where he travels to every city in Belarus with a brewery and samples the local product. The guy just has great warmth, and the translated conversations with people he chats up are wonderful. I like his girlfriend too -- she's quite the flirt. And you aren't going to see the places he visits on the average travelogue.

One channel I haven't seen mentioned yet is Coldwarmotors. A guy living in rural Alberta hoards old cars from the '60s and earlier. He has a particular soft spot for the Chrysler products of the late '50s. But he's not just a junk hoarder -- he's a talented body repair man who does meticulous restoration work. His primary daily rides are a late '40s Frazer and a Citroen DS, although now he's driving a Renault Le Car as his "winter beater."

His cast of friends show up often, including a likable guy with '60s Bugs in his garage as well as a '56 Continental. Two identical twin men, a goofy guy who flips old junky Fords ... it's an interesting group.

The star of the show also creates the musical soundtrack for the hour-long videos, which come out every Saturday.

+1. I have fixed all sorts of things around the house that I never could have before YouTube how-to videos. Saves quite a bit $$$ and very satisfying. Impresses DW too, even though she’s fully aware I’m using YouTube to do it - I guess she’s surprised I know how to use tools! :D

And just as important, it also tells me in advance when I’d be over my head trying to fix something, and therefore when I should call a pro.

Yes, I can't count the number of times I've referred to YouTube videos to fix stuff. A couple that come to mind are replacing the keyboard on a laptop and sealing the leaky valley pan on my BMW V8.

Main ones I watch are:

- NDYakAngler
- Sam the Cooking Guy
- Ghost Town Living
- Simple Living Alaska
- Outkick
- Dr Sam Baily
- SUV RVing
- Slim Potatohead
- Experior Golf

big plus 1 for ghost town living I should have included that one on the list I typed for Ronstar.

What feed do you watch Covid channels on?
I'm not sure what you mean. I listed some channels with pandemic content that I watch regularly.

Up until a year ago, I subscribed to none, and regularly watched none.

I certainly searched for videos when I needed information, but never found the need to "follow" any youtubers. I searched for what I was looking for, watched enough, and moved on.

Only recently, I decided I'd subscribe to a few so I'd be reminded to catch the next video when it was released.

I started watching a home distilling channel. Fascinating.

“That sounds like fun”

Then I realized it’s totally illegal here in the US. Oh well.

Well,most of what I watch are channels that "transport me" to something/somewhere else for a short period of time.

Kylie Flavell - an amazing videographer and traveler though she is currently settled in Tuscany with her boyfriend. She covers different topics (she and her boyfriend are currently starting to renovate an old chicken coop on his family's property) but I find her "eye" amazing and her voice relaxing.

Sailing Magic Carpet - young couple that sails and recently (2019-20) traveled from the Mediterranean to the North Sea through inland waterways. So interesting especially their experience with dealing with Covid in France. They are quite knowledgable and entertaining.

Good Simple Living - young couple with four kids who sold their property in WA, he quit his job as a policeman, and moved to purchased property in Idaho(w/stunning views). They proceeded to build a tiny home inside a pole barn and are now building their forever home. They are an interesting and funny couple. And they had no building experience when they started all of this.

The Indie Projects - British couple who travel(ed) and lived in their van for 6-7 years but are now converting an old stone barn into a tiny home on property they purchased in Portugal. They also had no previous building/renovation experience when they started and they are delightful and never seem to get dismayed no matter what happens.

Nate Murphy - he is a rock climber but I actually got interested in his channel last year when he decided to find a place to live vs. in his van in between his climbing activities. He purchased a place in a small village in Spain and completely renovated it himself. The views are simply stunning and again he had no experience in building/renovating but he taught himself how to do 95% of what needed to be done to get the place renovated. The views alone make me want to run off to the same village to live.

Living Off Grid w/Jake and Nicole - American/Canadian couple who met in AZ, traveled a bit, and then purchased property in BC(with access by boat only).Building their homestead and living off the land.

GoWithLess - retired couple, early 50's, sold their home in 1/20, and planned to start their global travel plan....then covid came along. They set a mo. budget of $3000/mo to live on so they were scrambling early last year to try to stay within that budget when >200 + days of house sitting commitments went away.

As someone who is not handy YouTube has been very helpful. Two examples of projects I wouldn’t have even tried:

Pulling the dashboard from my car to install an aux in to the stereo. There is a fair amount of force required to pull the dash out. No way I would have pulled that hard to get it to pop out - I could just imagine destroying the inside of my care.

I also repaired a trash compactor. The plastic(!) gear had broken and I took the thing apart and replaced it. Simple once you understand what is necessary, completely unfathamable without watching a video on how to do it.

Personally, I don't subscribe to any and youtube seems pretty good about posting newer videos from channels I frequent at the top of the home page. I find it kind of annoying to get constant notifications if I subscribe and there's obviously some kind of algorithm that knows what I'm watching anyway and pushes them up.

I found this thread very interesting. I was expecting people to have more subscriptions in common. Only Music Lover and seem to have some overlap.

Rick Beato: Amazing. Primarily check out any of his "What Makes This Song Great?" episodes. If you want a place to start, look at the band Boston.

Josh Gad: He has been doing a series called "Reunited Apart" during the pandemic. It is the single best/happiest thing I have seen in the last year. He reunited the original casts of Back to the Future, Ferris Bueller, Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, etc.

Matt Risinger: Texas based home builder who demonstrates a lot of products.

SmarterEveryDay: Great all around, but Destin's recent series aboard the Nuclear Submarine is just seriously good stuff.

The Slo Mo Guys: Super slow motion video of many crazy things. I often react with a "wow."

CBS Sunday Morning: Because I've always like the most "positive" news program on TV, but now I dont have to watch it Sunday Morning.

CloseCallSports: You need to visit the website too, not just the YT channel. Site is basically dedicated to rating Baseball Umpires in a fantasy league. BUT - what I really like is they analyze virtually every controversial baseball play.

Essential Craftsman: Has a lot of home building (and other) stuff. However, if you go into the Playlists there is one for "Spec House Series" where he is building a house from scratch in Oregon. Over 100+ episodes starting from soil samples all the way to currently hanging drywall. I would call it a "This Old House" for regular people with a lot more details. To some degree, it is a General Contractor course.

Guy Jones: Modernizes very old video. See what it was like to actually walk the streets of Paris or New York in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

Well,most of what I watch are channels that "transport me" to something/somewhere else for a short period of time.

Kylie Flavell - an amazing videographer and traveler though she is currently settled in Tuscany with her boyfriend. She covers different topics (she and her boyfriend are currently starting to renovate an old chicken coop on his family's property) but I find her "eye" amazing and her voice relaxing.

Sailing Magic Carpet - young couple that sails and recently (2019-20) traveled from the Mediterranean to the North Sea through inland waterways. So interesting especially their experience with dealing with Covid in France. They are quite knowledgable and entertaining.

Good Simple Living - young couple with four kids who sold their property in WA, he quit his job as a policeman, and moved to purchased property in Idaho(w/stunning views). They proceeded to build a tiny home inside a pole barn and are now building their forever home. They are an interesting and funny couple. And they had no building experience when they started all of this.

The Indie Projects - British couple who travel(ed) and lived in their van for 6-7 years but are now converting an old stone barn into a tiny home on property they purchased in Portugal. They also had no previous building/renovation experience when they started and they are delightful and never seem to get dismayed no matter what happens.

Nate Murphy - he is a rock climber but I actually got interested in his channel last year when he decided to find a place to live vs. in his van in between his climbing activities. He purchased a place in a small village in Spain and completely renovated it himself. The views are simply stunning and again he had no experience in building/renovating but he taught himself how to do 95% of what needed to be done to get the place renovated. The views alone make me want to run off to the same village to live.

Living Off Grid w/Jake and Nicole - American/Canadian couple who met in AZ, traveled a bit, and then purchased property in BC(with access by boat only).Building their homestead and living off the land.

GoWithLess - retired couple, early 50's, sold their home in 1/20, and planned to start their global travel plan....then covid came along. They set a mo. budget of $3000/mo to live on so they were scrambling early last year to try to stay within that budget when >200 + days of house sitting commitments went away.
I subscribe to two of these Cricket and will check the others out.

I have fixed so many computer/phone issues and other tech related issues by watching You Tube, that I would not have otherwise resolved. In fact I think that is how I became aware of all of the channels in the first place.

Some of the channels are very low grade, but if it helps me to fix a glitch, I don't mind.

Those that I subscribe to though are all for entertainment and if they aren't artfully produced I don't subscribe. There are some amazing alternative lifestyles presented.

For WW2 buffs: Mark Felton Productions - He is a historian that focuses on WW2 topics. He comes up with some more obscure stories about WW2. His relatively short videos are very interesting and well produced. I highly recommend him if you are interested in WW2 history.

Something a little more obscure: Cooper Ridge Outdoors - This is a guy who was born and raised in the Appalachian Mountains of Eastern Kentucky. He talks about growing up and living in Appalachia. You only have to listen to him for 10 seconds to know he is the real deal.

Personally, I don't subscribe to any and youtube seems pretty good about posting newer videos from channels I frequent at the top of the home page. I find it kind of annoying to get constant notifications if I subscribe and there's obviously some kind of algorithm that knows what I'm watching anyway and pushes them up.
Subscribe doesn’t result in ANY notifications, notifications are a separate function. I subscribe to many, but I don’t turn on notifications for any. Subscribe makes it easy to see what’s new of channels I know I like, instead of wading through other garbage and relying on algorithms to recommend other things I might like - while that’s of value occasionally. Subscriptions is one way YouTube content providers get paid for their work, I don’t see anything wrong with supporting them in that way - it takes considerable effort to produce a quality video.

The three main YouTube options for viewers are (separate):
  • Subscribe, and
  • Notifications
c406542359faf71f0458f048cb240e77.gif

Last edited:
Actually, I did not even know you could subscribe to You Tube channels. Therefore, I don’t subscribe to any. LOL. Typically, I look at you tubes to learn how to do certain DYI projects or to look at reviews of certain things I might buy. That is it.

Subscribe doesn’t result in ANY notifications, notifications are a separate function.

YouTube used to send email notifications when channels you subscribed to uploaded new videos. However, they ended that last year, so I'm not sure if the notifications do anything anymore. I subscribe and click the notification bell to every channel I follow and don't recall being notified of anything. So, I just click "Subscriptions" in the left panel (after logging in) to see all the new uploads for the channels I follow.

YouTube used to send email notifications when channels you subscribed to uploaded new videos. However, they ended that last year, so I'm not sure if the notifications do anything anymore. I subscribe and click the notification bell to every channel I follow and don't recall being notified of anything. So, I just click "Subscriptions" in the left panel (after logging in) to see all the new uploads for the channels I follow.
:confused: I’ve been a subscriber to many channels for many years and I’ve never gotten a single email - NONE. AFAIK you don’t get emails unless you choose the “Notifications” bell.
Google Support said:
Difference between Notifications and Subscriptions Feed

Subscriptions feed
, available on both mobile and a computer, will show all recently uploaded videos from your subscriptions.

Notifications tell you when there are new videos and updates from your subscriptions. We’ll send emails, notifications on mobile, or inbox notifications on your computer. When you subscribe to a channel, you’ll automatically get personalized notifications with highlights of activity.

To get all notifications from a subscribed channel, tap the Notification bell . The bell will then change to a ringing bell to indicate that you've selected all notifications.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3382248?co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop&hl=en

Last edited:
:confused: I’ve been a subscriber to many channels for many years and I’ve never gotten a single email - NONE. AFAIK you don’t get emails unless you choose the “Notifications” bell.

Correct, you have to click the notifications bell to receive the notification emails. However, YouTube ended this feature last year:

https://www.socialmediatoday.com/ne...ications-to-alert-channel-subscribers/583258/

I only watch YouTube on my desktop computer, so I don't think the notifications really serve any purpose for me anymore. But, I click the bell anyway. :)

I’m a big fan of Pro Walks. The guy videos cities in Italy and other countries. in 4K with a surround sound. He does no narrations but puts historical information as close caption. If you wear headphones [emoji442] the ambient sounds of city is quite good. Since we are stuck at home due to Covid it is a nice getaway.

As I have mentioned before, but feel it bears repeating, I added on to my Firefox browser the free "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-download/

It creates a green "Download" button beneath every video you visit. You can then download any video to your PC (then to a thumb drive to watch on your TV via a USB drive on your DVD player or what-not) to watch at your leisure, away from your PC, add-free (without commercial interruptions).

I have saved hundreds of videos (such as music concerts and records LPs/songs, documentaries, etc) for some years now.

I love learning skills from youtube.

Was recently working some home electrical problems and found "The Engineering Mindset" has some great teaching videos on the basics of electrical circuits. Quite low level and perfect for someone like myself.

Also got fascinated that people can now repair many dents in autos without having to use the old bondo and repaint techniques. Found many youtube channels on Paintless Dent Repair and am now trying my hand at it on our cars. "Top Gun PDR Training" is one of several I like.

I added on to my Firefox browser the free "Easy Youtube Video Downloader" extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-download/

I use 4K Video Downloader. It's a standalone program, not tied to any specific browser. Just copy the link and add it to the program list. It also works with a variety of different web sites.

I find it much more convenient to download the videos so I can watch them on my living room TV using my Zidoo Z9X media player.

I've never watched youtube much, but have been watching some Covid channels:

Drbeen Medical Lectures
Dr. John Campbell
Whiteboard Doctor
HIBBERD HEALTH Dr Jennifer Hibberd
TrialSite News
MedCram - Medical Lectures Explained CLEARLY
Paul Marik
Medlife Crisis

A few health/wellness channels:
FoundMyFitness
ZOE
Zero

I go to sleep to John Campbell (almost) every night! Sometimes I have to play his podcast again in the morning. I started with Dr. Mobeen Syed more recently. (As I am still working, I don't have have time to listen to the entire podcasts, but I do like him.) MedCram, yes. I remember when youtube was hasseling him. A more non-biased presentation I could not imagine. I did not know that Paul Marik had his own channel. I have listed to him on Dr. Been's show, and flipped over to read his protocol a few times.

Hmm, TrialSite News I just found lately.

I will continue to listen to them post-Covid. (It turns out I enjoy medical Podcasts.)

Back
Top Bottom