WSJ - Big mistakes people make in Medicare

It wasn't free for me. I got the first few lines and then "Continue reading your article with a WSJ subscription."

Anyway, thanks for the summary, and to all who commented. I'm learning a lot. I'll be signing up later this year.
The key with these articles is to Google the Title and you will always find a free version with a little effort. A lot more productive than posting here that it is subscription only.

Last edited:
NY does a pure community rating (no age rating) and is always open. So just buy the Medigap when you get sick.

There are two many uninformed seniors who think Medicare is free and don't realize what needs to be done to make sure you have comprehensive coverage and what it costs. Some of it is their fault for them not paying attention and some is misinformation out there.
But...but...but... Joe Namath, Jimmie Walker and Henry Winkler told me it was free! I trust those guys. They wouldn't lie to me, would they? :rolleyes:

There is no way insurance is going to cause me to lose my leg. Pay up and submit later.
Many of us here can do that (depending on cost) but I'd guess that for the 40% or so of seniors trying to make it on SS alone that's not an option.

Agreed on Boomer Benefits- I did not use them myself but their publications are clear and balanced and a lot of people like them.

Many of us here can do that (depending on cost) but I'd guess that for the 40% or so of seniors trying to make it on SS alone that's not an option.
So true. We forget that we, as a group, are very savvy financially & have above average wealth/incomes.

I found this spreadsheet online that calculates 20 year costs of a few medicare options with some (to my non-medicare age ears) reasonable assumptions. Since it is a spreadsheet, you can make your own assumptions and see how costs compare. The page links to a youtube video that goes over their assumptions.

Warning: I take no responsibility if they spam you - they haven't spammed me yet. There are no macros in this spreadsheet and it opened up just fine in Libre Office.

NY does a pure community rating (no age rating) and is always open. So just buy the Medigap when you get sick.
NY Medigap premiums are higher than other states.
Plan N for 65 year old male:
$112 in NJ.
$220 in Staten Island

Back
Top Bottom