What's the officical age to join the AARP?

Mach1

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone know what the age is to join? is there any real benefits? other than getting promote to Senior status.

Mach1

50, some places have AARP discounts. I have had hotel rooms with AARP discounts but that was the same discount as AAA. Their newsletter occasionally has good articles but the same information can be found on a good web search.

Because the cost is so low, $10 - $12 a year, can't remember exactly, you don't have to receive very much benefit or convenience to make membership worthwhile. I don't agree with all of their political positions but, on balance, it seems they support political agendas that are good for retirees.

I joined when I turned 50, immediately took advantage of the AOL discount. I've used it at hotels too. I actually joined as a dig to my dad....he's 72 and gets pissed that they send him that stuff....he says he's not old!!! ::)

Although the age is 50 they will take your money anytime you want to send it to them.

Don't waste your money.

(I was thinking of food as I wrote this)

73ss454 said:
Although the age is 50 they will take your money anytime you want to send it to them.

Don't waist your money.

You're too hip for that.

I look forward to dropping them a few bucks to join up!!! The local AARP chapter here does a monthly FREE potluck or dinner....that's worth my money right there!!! :D

Also they have various trips (1 day and some longer) for members only....and I do love to travel and do things!!!!

They also have guest speakers and such come in and discuss all sorts of retiree and senior issues.

Also every summer the City Rec board and the City officials band together with the local AARP chapter to sponsor what we've always jokingly refered to as "Fossil-Fest". It's a big catered affair for AARP members and all the other seniors, where everyone gets together to honor the senior citizens of the community and kind of say "Thanks for all you've done in your life, that has made our community what it is....A nice place to live!!!"

But probably the most important thing that AARP does is get folks together for the fun and the fellowship of just getting together to meet new people and make new friends!!! It gives folks a sense of "belonging". Which is something many of them haven't experienced since they retired, and left many of their friends and co-workers behind.

I know for a fact that my Mom and all her friends really look forward to their AARP meetings every 2 weeks. Many times it's just the joy of seeing each other, that makes their day!!!

As for me....I'll be joining up in 5 months.....the day I RE @ 50!!! I can hardly wait! ::)

The way I see it.....It's probably the best investment, that provides the highest yield, with the least risk!!! (IMHO)

at age 50

they do have an exception, if you are under 50 years of age but suffer from fecal incontinence, you can get an honorary membership for free!!!!

Alex said:
at age 50

they do have an exception, if you are under 50 years of age but suffer from fecal incontinence, you can get an honorary membership for free!!!!

That's very nice of them. I pay my way since I'm blessed with good health. But it's nice for you that you're able to take advantage of this benefit. And, so sorry to hear of your problem.

I notice one of our regular posters has an avatar indicating he also qualifies for this benefit. Hope he's aware of it and taking advantage of it.

This is a great country!

Back
Top Bottom