What's your Poison (Liquor) of Choice these days??

Perhaps I have to set myself up in the right ambiance while sipping it. Something like this...

Excellent tune!

Ahhhh...you know, it's a shame you don't care to dance. But then again, you might spill a few drops of tequila...and that would be a shame. ;)

I just have to bump this thread to let everyone know that I have found another US distillery making eau de vie (for people who don't think it tastes like gasoline).

It's St. George Spirits in Alameda, near San Francisco. The next time I am in the area, I will check them out. They even make absinthe!

EauDeVieLowRes.jpg

Having worked my way through college as a gas jockey, I had at least one memorable occasion to recover gas from a vehicle whose wise ass driver said give me 2 and then refused to fork over the $2. The Amoco high test tasted nowhere as good as Jelinek.

I've really taken to Pisco (technically grape brandy), after our trip to Peru. Hard to find Peruvian here in the US, as the Chilean distribution seems a lot better, but I have talked the local Total Wine into carrying Barso. You should try my Pisco Sours!

Summer: Tanqueray and tonic

After dinner: Bailey's Irish cream on the rocks

Another weakness: Bomba Sapphire

Others: Goldschlager, Jaggermeister, Frangelico, Dr. McGillicuddy's

White wine, often gesprizt (so I can have more with less alcohol). Orvieto or Gruner Veltliner. Is it that time yet??

Poured a homebrew for myself and saw this thread!
Not growing my own hops yet - I don't think I can find a spot t hat gets enough sun. Here's a pic of today's brewing escapade - first a red IPA, cleaned up a little, then a batch of oatmeal stout.
Nice setup! Mine is all gravity, but I can make 8 gallons (into the primary), if I stay close at hot brake, hehe. I'll let someone else grow the hops and cultivate the yeast...best left to the pros.

I looked up Jelinek. It's a distillery in the Czech Republic. They make fruit brandies, vodka, and also a gin, but a Web site says that their flagship product is Slivovitz, a plum brandy.

I did not know about Pisco, but wonder how different it is from the usual brandy, other than Pisco is clear and not aged in casks. Definitely something for me to look for and to try.

I did not know about Pisco, but wonder how different it is from the usual brandy, other than Pisco is clear and not aged in casks. Definitely something for me to look for and to try.
It is a grape brandy. I don't know anything about other brandies, am a beer drinker, myself. It was very tasty in the Pisco Sours and I drank far too much of it straight in shooters, but it didn't give the piercing headache of other liquors I've had similar doses.

We also, thanks to the charming Brits in the group,were introduced to shandies, which were a welcome excuse to drink beer rather early in the hot Peruvian afternoons. Take a reasonably light beer, add anything from a splash to about half/half mixed with Sprite. Refreshing and helps keep your wits about you when you plan on hanging about with the Irish for the rest of the day and need to pace your drinking! :D

Pisco is to brandy what Taco Bell is to Mexican cuisine. It does satisfy a need and goes to show the power of lemon. Not knocking it, I've had my share and then some. Anything distilled + lemon + tropical climate + ice = goodness. Beer and soft drink of choice, mixed half and half, will let you drink all afternoon. :) Drinking in the tropics is not easy, and requires lots of practice. All that heat.

Rum and Cachaça are the tropical drinks of choice.

Edit to add: good Pisco is far preferable to bad rum or Cachaça any day...especially with lime (they call it lemon) and crushed ice. And when your SO is nearby, it can be magical...

Last edited:
Belvidere vodka, a splash of vermouth, 3 olives, and then shaken, not stirred.

Drinking in the tropics is not easy, and requires lots of practice. All that heat...
Provence may not be as hot, but the French will say that their Pastis would hit the spot.

But just about any cold beer would work for me when I am sweating.

220px-Pastis.jpg

Last edited:
Just finishing my winter beers. Instead of a root beer float, here's a stout float with my oatmeal stout and vanilla ice cream:

stoutfloat.jpg

After the stout, I've got 5 gallons of red irish ale and a Jack Daniels infused porter. Then I start creating "7 beers of summer", starting with a light orange pale ale.

Last edited:
Provence may not be as hot, but the French will say that their Pastis would hit the spot.

But just about any cold beer would work for me when I am sweating.
Problem in the tropics is you never stop sweating. Just way too much heat to cool yourself with beer. Better to cut it with something, as Sarah suggests, so you can drink all afternoon and not dehydrate.

Hydration without intoxication...

Last edited:
(Served at the recent Super Bowl Party)

Boston Cream Pie Martinis:

• 1.5oz vanilla-flavored vodka
  • 1.5oz Creme de Cacao
  • 1.5oz Bailey's Irish Creme
Shake with ice, strain, drink!

He could have just poured it in the glasses, but that would have been too easy......

My liquor of choice is Evan Williams bourbon on the rocks. IMHO it tastes as good as Jack Daniels and is 1/2 the price.
A agree that Evan Williams is a good bourbon, and sometimes the price is closer to 1/3.

After almost a decade of being a teetotaler, on my 60th birthday I began testing the waters, but not swimming. My choice of adult beverage, a cold Corona out of the bottle no lime.

For beer I'll take Blue Moon. For something stronger either Patron coffee flavored or Lucent Absinthe.

I am enjoying a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon in the evenings on this holiday week-end. Yesterday I drove out to a berry farm for local strawberries and they just so happen to have a very nice winery on the property (Greendance). As it is hot, I have been adding a splash of seltzer to my libation and making it more of a spritzer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom