What's your recent concert?

Jimmy Buffet at the Daniel Island Tennis Stadium May 11th. Jimmy's getting on in years, as are we all, and you never know when he "retires" so it's worth the extra effort to see his show. Great Stage Backdrop with tropical scenes projected to match the songs and a generally pleasant aura wafting through the crowd all night long.

Mary Chapin Carpenter is coming to the Charleston Music Hall, next Wednesday. If she starts singing Passionate Kisses....I may rush the Stage.

Oh, and you're going to love the Joe Walsh show. The Man may be in his 70's but he will still lift the roof off of any venue.

This week saw Judy Collins and Stephen Stills together. Her voice is still good. He is still great on the guitar but his voice is shot. They did close with Suite, Judy Blue Eyes.

Peter Frampton and Steve Miller a couple of weeks ago; it was a very good show. It was fun to see some of the "seasoned" folks looked very confused when Frampton played a Chris Cornell cover. :)

This concert was also a great reminded about how wonderful it is being retired. The show was on a Sunday...so there was ZERO concern about the next day being the "oh so dreaded Monday" (which is my favorite day of the week now).

Last edited:
We saw that too! Had a lot of fun.

Walked out to the beach tonight because we heard a rumor that Buffett was playing a concert for a private event there. Sadly, the rumors were false and it was a strange cover band doing a mix of Prince songs and who knows what else.:facepalm:

But a walk on the Strand in Coronado is never a bad thing!

There's a historic opera house south of Madison that we like to patronize. The shows are intimate; performers are of the type you'd hear on "Prairie Home Companion." The seats, though are murder! Think of the uncushioned wooden perches from a 100-year-old school auditorium. Bleacher cushions are de rigueur. Recent acts we've seen include Nick Lowe (always a favorite), Robyn Hitchcock and Canadian fiddler/step dancer April Verch. Roseanne Cash is scheduled for the upcoming season.

The most recent performer we've seen, though, is a neo-blueswoman named Ruthie Foster. Here's her take on the old Black Sabbath tune "War Pigs":

This week saw Judy Collins and Stephen Stills together. Her voice is still good. He is still great on the guitar but his voice is shot. They did close with Suite, Judy Blue Eyes.
yeah saw CSN a couple of years ago. Stills could not sing a lick.
Recently.

Burton Cummings. Excellent, but he came with an attitude.

The Who - Excellent, He still sings great, twice the band members,

Bob Dylan - Walked out during the last 10 minutes as we weren't entertained.

Classic Albums Live (see below);

Prince - Excellent, front row seats

The Beatles - Excellent, although we didn't have good seats.

Supertramp - Excellent, front end row,

A/C D/C - Excellent, second row

Pink Floyd - Excellent, front center row

Rush 2112 - Excellent, except they didn't play, Closer To The Heart (my fav)
Saw Burton Cummings probably 3 years ago, small venue. He was charming, humble and was one of my favorite performers ever. And this was in the US.

James Taylor with Bonnie Raitt this past Monday at new Ford Stadium in Frisco Tx. Awesome... they still got it!

We saw Tears for Fears with Hall & Oates a couple of weeks ago. It was a bit odd to have two groups that are usually headliners playing their full sets and doing encores, but both were quite good.

We saw Hall & Oates at the local fair though I can't remember if it was last year or the year previous. They seem to be doing some smaller venues now.

Chicago is doing the fair this year with other blasts from the past like The Pointer Sisters, ZZ Top, Huey Lewis and the News, B52's, Rick Springfield, etc.

We saw Joe Jackson (Stepping Out) in an intimate setting in June. He was fabulous.

In March, it was Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. He should consider joining us (retiring.) :LOL:

Michael

We went on a BBQ and Blues road trip in 2015 - Nashville, St. Louis and Memphis. We saw Alabama Shakes at the Fox Theater in St. Louis. Great show. I would like to see Brittany again.

FN

Just saw a country rock band called Blackberry Smoke last night at a small venue and they were awesome.

I've been to so many concerts there's no way to reconstruct. However some of the best were:

Van Halen (Vegas)
Neil Young 1972
Elton John (1973)
Black Crowes (twice)
AC/DC (three times, both singers)
Rush

Couldn't find any outdoors this year or had conflicts. Next scheduled is Joe Bonamassa in Portland (Oct). Saw him at Red Rocks a couple years ago.

We saw Joe Jackson (Stepping Out) in an intimate setting in June. He was fabulous.

In March, it was Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes. He should consider joining us (retiring.) :LOL:

Michael

Haha, we almost saw Johnny in Clearwater a few weeks ago. Saw him 15 years ago, and he was disappointing, but I gave him a pass because it was outdoors, day time, and he is a bar band. Saw him in 78, and he was great.

Last live show was Emmy Lou Harris, Steve Earle, Buddy Miller, and the Milk Carton Kids. If you are ever in KC and have a chance to go to the Kauffman Center the sound in Helzberg Hall is simply amazing.

Two weekends ago I went to back and back concerts at the same venue - so we stayed overnight nearby:
Friday night: Cindy Lauper and Rod Stewart
Saturday night: The Doobie Brothers and Chicago

Before that: Paul McCartney last summer.

Before that: Peter Wolf (of the J. Geils Band - fee concert)

also so many tribute bands that play outdoors at these band shells:

I can't say I remember a whole lot. Kinda like the saying: "If you remember Woodstock, you weren't there".

I was far too sophisticated to get involved with the "kids" back in 1969, but during the concert, I was working in my stores in Carbondale and Lebanon NY, right near Bethel, where Woodstock took place.

As I recall, perhaps a bit of a "new music" snob. My four sons were age ten and under, and we didn't even want them listening to "Elvis the Pelvis" or the Beatles. It was the counterculture of the day.

I DO remember the rain that was falling, and the car radio talking about the haze of smoke that rose over the concert field.

Who knew? :)

I saw James McMurtry last week - he puts on such a good show

Last one was to see The Oak Ridge Boys at the Florida Strawberry Festival in 2016 with friends.... not my cup of tea but our friends enjoyed it.

Saw Barry Manilow in his 2015 farewell tour in Tampa.... great show... he performed with lots of energy for about 90 minutes and he was 74 years old at the time.

We had tickets to see Frankie Valli this spring but it was postponed because he was ill and we would be gone when the performance happens. Did see Frankie Valli in the summer of 1974 at our state fair.... good show.

Recall seeing Boston and Yes in my college years.

I saw a thread on best/worst concerts, but thought I'd try one on recent concerts, maybe to alert people to who's touring now or what may be new and worthwhile (or bad and to be avoided).

Was in Vegas, staying at Caesars. Much to my surprise and delight, The Who was appearing. Super great concert. Daltry's voice has faded a little, but still pretty good. The drummer truly is Keith Moon reincarnated. 2 solid hours with no warmup band. Pete Townsend said, before they played Baba O Reilly (teenage wasteland), that there's a commercial using that song. Every time it's played he makes $650. And they play it a lot. So, he's touring, not because he needs to, but because he wants to. No FIRE for him.

Saw them last year. The drummer was Zack Starkey, son of Ringo Starr. Pete introduced him at the end as the only person to survive having Keith Moon as a babysitter. Awesome show and played all the favorites.

Last show was AC/DC with Axel Rose singing. That was a bit surreal at times but also a good show. My ears hurt for days after that one.

Hans Zimmer - staggering show, unique, possibly never anything like it to be seen again.

Tears for Fears and Hall and Oates a few weeks ago.

The Fixx later this month. This will be my second Fixx concert, i saw them at The Stone Pony in 1988

Tears for Fears and Hall and Oates a few weeks ago.

The Fixx later this month. This will be my second Fixx concert, i saw them at The Stone Pony in 1988

Back
Top Bottom