When you have been around this forum for a long time ...

I stumbled upon this site almost six years ago just after I submitted my resignation. What a relief, kinda like drowning in the middle of the ocean and some kind people drop by in a lifeboat. Thanks to each of you for making this a special place.

Once in awhile I think I know everything I need to know about something and then someone pops up with an interesting insight on it. Or they say something that leads me to another thought that is useful.

+1

Only started here a little over 10 years ago but have learned so much and enjoyed the pleasant and accommodating atmosphere. Because of the great variety of topics, the knowledge of many of those posting, the respectful responses of the posts, the humor, and the social atmosphere I haven't bothered with other website forums in many years.

Cheers!

I've learned:

There are days when the topics just don't interest me and I don't read or comment.

Most people think before they answer. This forum is about as civil as any out there.

Thank you for not allowing political discussions.

I love it that some of the subjects are kind of personal and for some a trip or call to the doctor could solve the dilemma.

The post that has the four top categories discussed here is right on point and most of the time it will be 50/50 on where they stand.

There are people that always have the right answer and they'll let you know it. Pretty much an expert in every subject.

Just like any forum or text/communication something will be taken wrong or misunderstood and after some "discussion" everyone hugs.

It is true that your IQ goes up the longer you frequent this forum. Just take a look at long timers posts. Most of the posts are pretty smart as opposed to newbies posts. :)

It is also true that you become richer faster by reading the long timers posts. :LOL:

Bigger IQ, Easy Wealth.... sounds perfect. I'll keep reading. Maybe I'll find solutions for:
  • Fallen (fill in the blank) _____ ,
  • Those freshman 10 lbs, those baby 10 lbs, those midlife 10 lbs ....
  • Predictive text that isn't
  • Folding fitted sheets

:angel:

I signed up 10 years ago this month - March 2009. It was something to do in the depths of the great recession. I found a lot of like minded people that did not panic and sell off. What I learned here helped with ER in 2016 and I've hung around simply because this site has a good cross section of people with diverse opinions.

OTOH, I have saved at least $200,000 based on advice on this forum. Investing decisions, insurance, etc.

Oh man, hard to quantify. Once I discovered Roth conversions and spread that word amoungst my family, we've likely saved thousands as well. DF definitely 100k.

Knowing I need to stack my brokerage to bridge my gap years was probably the best takeaway. You all are great on keeping on me about how important that is. It's the difference between most ER realities and dreams IMHO.

I like everyone's personalities and still laugh when I finally understand or realize one member is a man and I had been visioning a women or visa versa.

Being a part of helping you brainstorm for your big "speech" was fun. I like that we have interactive members beyond just the investing stuff. I've even had spot on furnace diagnostics from folks here.

What I've discovered here...."People are nice and they will answer your questions without reservation".

I visit here almost every day, sometimes a few times a day. Just want to see what my friends are up to.

I've also saved a ton of money on all kinds of things over the past 10+ years here. (Including the risk of delaying taking Part D!)

I do tend to avoid threads that have over 60 posts (yes, this is #62) as I feel that the question at hand has been answered and we're now in thread tangents. (Yes, I'm one of the biggest offenders of thread tangents!)

Bigger IQ, Easy Wealth.... sounds perfect. I'll keep reading. Maybe I'll find solutions for:
  • Fallen (fill in the blank) _____ ,
  • Those freshman 10 lbs, those baby 10 lbs, those midlife 10 lbs ....
  • Predictive text that isn't
  • Folding fitted sheets

:angel:

Okay: I’m not a long time poster here, neither a big poster, nor the brightest light bulb on the block. But life (quickly) changes and I’m here 24/7 (really more like 18/7). Reading/posting here is better than whatever else TV/internet offers.

Fallen with a broken leg and getting sick on top of it will help you lose 10 pounds. If you can get to frig, there is nothing you want in it.

Google “turn off predictive text” and your device and you should be set to go.

Folding fitted sheets: Gather corners, shake out big wrinkles. Lay out flat, poke out the corners, then stretch out elastic so it is straight, slowly release and re-poke the corners if required. Use the elastic edge as one of the long edges and fold the rest of the sheet towards the elastic edge (don’t move the elastic edge). If it does not work, see the end of the first sentence. Anyway, DW says my folded sheets look like how they come from the store. Takes me an hour to fold a big basket of clothes, DW a quarter of that. I’m so jealous of DW. Ok, need to read more posts so I can work on that lightbulb brightness thing.

• You get to know exactly what regulars will say on many subjects.
  • Who likes to argue, whether they know anything or not?
  • Who sees everything as black or white?

You put them a lot nicer than I could. :)

I joined thirteen or so years ago. Still read topics of interest somewhat regularly and really appreciate all the wisdom here. This forum helped me to ESR back then and later to fully RE. It is the main forum I read. Thank you to all the posters who were so helpful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom