When your stuff is too crappy to be stolen

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I parked the old van on the street last night. This morning, I go out to find the drivers door unlocked and the hood agar. " Oh Crap, they got my battery " was going through my mind.

Open the hood fully, one battery connector loose, battery still there. Then i notice the date sticker " 09/2011" . I guess the theves can read. not worth stealing :LOL:

PS this is a deep cycle battery, 9 years old and recently testsed good at the auto part store.

It's similar to the feeling of freedom that comes from parking your old car anywhere you want in the Kroger parking lot. I'm not afraid of errant shopping carts or folks flinging their car doors open. Go ahead, do your worst!

Almost exactly 20 years ago, in front of my good car, I had an old car parked in my driveway, with a CD car stereo in it that was semi-functional, which is why I left it in the old car. I think the old car was left unlocked unintentionally. Anyway, one day I noticed the gas cap cover was open, so I looked in the car, and someone had ripped out the junk CD car stereo. There was a working remote for my garage door clipped to the sun visor in my car, so I'm glad they didn't use that to get into the garage and take valuable tools and instead got stuck with a piece of junk car stereo.

Last edited:
I had a 4 year old car parked in my apartment complex, came out one day to find the door ajar. Cheap car stereo gone. I'll bet they got about $20 for it, and caused $800 in damage to the car. I guess I should've left the door unlocked.

I never lock my Miata. It's garaged at home, but when I'm out and about I'd rather they just open the door than tear the ragtop to get in. The catch to that is when I'm running I often leave my phone and wallet in the car, but I've got a couple of good hiding spots. I'm hoping they won't dig around too long looking for stuff that they don't know is even in there.

This is why I chose to live in Stepfordville. No one wants my stuff...

At my old house, some thieves broke in while I was at the gym. They emptied the entire contents of all my closets, cabinets, and drawers onto the floors. What a mess! But all they took was $35 cash. They ignored my beautiful new laptop computer, my iPad, three expensive and fairly new video game consoles, my TVs, and my Kindle.

I was so insulted! :LOL: But also very relieved. Law enforcement said they were probably looking only for drugs, cash, or guns, so I guess they chose the wrong house for their objectives.

To me this OP carries a learning sentiment. Signifying that most extraneous "crap", or stuff people buy be it clothing, home furnishings, boats, autos(particularly new), nick-knacks & whatnot are costly, depreciates heavily, and sooner or later becomes outdated crap. :) imho

I like my crap:dance:

Diversification is paramount in accumulation.

Stay well!

I have an old bike to ride around the neighborhood. Never think of locking it. If a thief was that desperate, I would really want them to have it.

This weekend, DW, her two twin daughters, and I started going thru DW's Sizeable Hoard of Ignored Treasures to figure out which ones could be given away (charity), reused by DD's, or sent to the landfill. No one will steal this stuff....for sure.

Next weekend, my garage will be the focus of a similar expulsion of my S.H.I.T.

Call it early spring cleaning around here. :)

I have an old bike to ride around the neighborhood. Never think of locking it. If a thief was that desperate, I would really want them to have it.

I call this the rusty bike gambit. In college, I would park my rusty bike next to a brand new expensive bike. Mine was never stolen. If it did disappear, i would always find it one building over, or on the other side of campus (someone late for class and needed a little help).

Wait, people steal batteries from under the hoods of cars?? Wow, seems like a lot of work (just for the lead?).

A quick Google search reveals this is a crime that is on the rise. Some speculate that it's for the value of the lead as a core return at auto parts stores, other stories think the sulfuric acid is used to make meth. Who knew? Not me, anyway.

Reminds me of a furniture store owner that I knew when I was a kid. If he had some old furniture he wanted to get rid of he would set it outside overnight with a "Free" sign on it. If nobody took it he'd put a sign "Sale - $100" on it and it would be gone overnight.

I guess that is a benefit of me only having between $1000-2000 worth of stuff in my entire house. Most of what I have was given to me or was bought cheap many years ago.

Rarely ever lock the door. What are they going to take? 7 year old laptop or 40" tv?
Neighbor has a 70" tv and a Bichon;
My security system: IMG_3192.jpeg

English Long-Haired Mastiffs work as well (when she feels like it).

Attachments

• Chariot.jpg
    Chariot.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 49
We just got back from a 2 week "vacation".

Again, for the second time in a year when we were on "vacation" , someone pried off the top roof of our plastic shed.

Unfortunately, they didn't steal any of the junk in there, and I'll probably have to drag the junk to the curb one of these days... :D

DH gets upset when I forget to put a wooden bar against our patio door and I’d say “What could thieves steal? My $300 chromebook? Pantry full of groceries?” He recently bought a very expensive camera and a lens so at least now, it may make sense to at least lock the front door.

Wait, people steal batteries from under the hoods of cars?? Wow, seems like a lot of work (just for the lead?).

A quick Google search reveals this is a crime that is on the rise. Some speculate that it's for the value of the lead as a core return at auto parts stores, other stories think the sulfuric acid is used to make meth. Who knew? Not me, anyway.
Could be a huge problem for Teslas.

3rd GSD mix for me.
He wouldn't hurt a fly but looks fierce.
We had a German Shepard for 12 years. Best security ever. I loved her and I miss her. My labrador doesn't scare anyone. He is a sweetheart though.

Ahh break-ins.

Caught someone attempting a break-in on Christmas day. Was back when I drank and smoke at my folks house for Xmas. Went out for a smoke and saw the door was open...right as dad come out and I says, hey dad did you leave your car door open...it dawned on my that car was basically snow blowed in and had been for a couple weeks, and logic kicked in. Chased that little punk a block and ran right out of my slippers...missed him with my Budweiser bottle by about an inch...wish I would have just drank the rest of the beer. Cold wet feet and had to open a new beer...nothing stolen. Prevented anymore break-ins that day. Hindsight is always 20/20

I call this the rusty bike gambit. In college, I would park my rusty bike next to a brand new expensive bike. Mine was never stolen. If it did disappear, i would always find it one building over, or on the other side of campus (someone late for class and needed a little help).
Reminds me of the times I traveled on my Suzuki 800cc cruiser motorcycle. I would always park it next to or very close to a Harley Davidson. :D Never had a problem. Never expected to.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom