Where to move, and why?

What helped me was doing some research. Last year, I read a book on the top 200 places to retire in US. It divided up the country by four regions and rated the best cities there by a number of factors: crime, amenities, weather, PT jobs for retirees, health facilities, culture, etc.

Mind sharing the title of that book?

Ordinarily, I would suggest Arizona as a great place to retire - as I have in other posts. Northern Arizona - Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon -- is some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere. However, in light of the current political situation there, I would avoid Arizona -- unless a pre-1960's segregated state is your cup 'o tea.

AZ should be OK as long as they don't discriminate against old rich hetero white people. For gay-friendly, come to PV.:mad:

We've been looking to relocate for the past few years and have decided to stay in California. We may move out to the other side of Sacramento, closer to Lake Tahoe, or we may move down to the Central Coast. We would like a slower pace of life than we're experiencing in the Bay Area, and often we just think we're ready for a change.

We may just stay put. We have lived in this house for 31 years this summer, and I think it would be very hard for me to leave all the plants I've put in over those years.

Right now we're just in "getting ready for the market" mode, putting on the finishing touches. Once that's done and we are actually market-ready, we will look and see if there's anything in either place that is worth making the move for.

Real estate is getting hot around here again, and the prices I am seeing are making my eyes bug out in disbelief. However, there is no point in selling if there is not somewhere else we'd rather be.

We live in OC, California, which we do thoroughly enjoy, however, we rented an apartment for a month in Mill Valley last spring and fell in love with Marin County. Running along the bay in the AM, then hiking in the hills in the PM, with SF slightly to the south and wine country slightly to the north? Absolute paradise for us. We could see that traffic was a burden for the Marin County communities right along the bay, but are very intrigued by the slightly more affordable inland Marin County communities of Novato and San Rafael. So far, this is the only location in the USA we've been tempted to leave OC for.

Last edited:
My plan to retire at 60 is still in place, and that's now less than 12.5 years away.

As my username suggests, we are IN Ohio but do not plan to retire in Ohio. This winter has solidified that idea even more. I actually like Ohio for many reasons, but the weather just is not good.

My wife and I prefer warmer temperatures, so a southern or southwestern state is likely. We really like Arizona for many reasons, but the water issue is a serious one, and they have political issues and drug trafficking issues that might keep us from going there. So, short of that, New Mexico is a possibility. Tennessee is also a good choice. We would also consider North or South Carolina.

As my children get older though and the reality that they won't be living with us all that much longer sets in, I can see staying in Ohio if they both do and start families here. If that happens, then we will bolt town anytime a super cold spell moves in.

Back
Top Bottom