Who does the grocery shopping?

I get a bit upset when I go and see how much the cost is. Oh, she does the shopping. Mike

I am the one who does 99.9% of the grocery shopping. I have time to go shopping, she does not. Now that we live in the big city, shopping for anything including groceries has become quite a time-consuming challenge.

I do our shopping at Costco. If my husband comes along he's too busy hitting up the sample ladies (our local costco has more free food samples than most)... so I actually have to call him when it's time to check out.

Like Midpack - I avoid weekends like the plague. And I get very annoyed by "amateurs" at costco who block the aisles with their carts. I guess I'm like Amethyst's husband... get in, get the list filled, and get out.

We go together to the local farmers market... But that's less about shopping, and more about dining.

One time when I was grocery shopping pre-cell phone era, I was paged by the service desk. DH had called to ask the manager to tell me not to forget to pick up coffee.

I just got back from the grocery store, and realized that I forgot an important part of grocery shopping so I will add it in blue:
My idea of an outstandingly helpful spouse would be someone who could (without help, reminders, or direction) think of a nutritious meal plan that would be liked or acceptable to the family, determine what ingredients are needed, go and buy them at decent prices within a budget, bring them in from the car, cut up and prepare the proper sized portions to freeze, clean up after doing that, put everything away in the freezer, refrigerator, or cupboard, cook, clean up the dishes and kitchen all by himself, and figure out how to incorporate the leftovers into future meals. And he/she would do this for at least half of the meals. Some men do this and I think they are treasures, but some others don't. Luckily I have no dog in this fight (as they say in Texas), because I am happily unmarried and living alone.

After spending some time cutting up my meat, chicken, and fish into individual portions to freeze, and bagging said portions in freezer bags, I realized that this is another chore that is really part of "getting the groceries" as well. A tiring one, too! I'm ready to relax for a bit.

Sorry to add one more task for all of you outstandingly helpful spouses out there! :LOL:

Last edited:
I just got back from the grocery store, and realized that I forgot an important part of grocery shopping so I will add it in blue:

After spending some time cutting up my meat, chicken, and fish into individual portions to freeze, and bagging said portions in freezer bags, I realized that this is another chore that is really part of "getting the groceries" as well. A tiring one, too! I'm ready to relax for a bit.

Sorry to add one more task for all of you outstandingly helpful spouses out there! :LOL:
I have never done any of these things, and I eat pretty well. My refigerator is usually 2/3 empty, I get what I can carry in my pack or less and bring it home and put it in the frig. Usually a little later I prepare some of it and eat. I will never be Martha, but my kitchen is looking more ship shape all the time.

Ha

I have never done any of these things, and I eat pretty well. My refigerator is usually 2/3 empty, I get what I can carry in my pack or less and bring it home and put it in the frig. Usually a little later I prepare some of it and eat. I will never be Martha, but my kitchen is looking more ship shape all the time.

Ha

Well, perhaps I should add "only if you freeze large portions of food". I used to shop like that too, Haha, back when I was in college. I would stop off at the grocery every afternoon on my way back from classes, and pick up just what I would eat that evening and possibly the following day.

Well, perhaps I should add "only if you freeze large portions of food". I used to shop like that too, Haha, back when I was in college. I would stop off at the grocery every afternoon on my way back from classes, and pick up just what I would eat that evening and possibly the following day.

That's how I shop nowadays. Can't buy much more than a few days worth of food at a time when I have to carry it home.

We mostly share it -- both of us go together. Of the remaining times, DH probably goes a little more often but not always. He does want a very specific list when he goes by himself.

Although I do all the cooking and baking, Mr. A. does cut up, wrap, [attempt to] label,* and freeze large portions of meat, chicken, etc. purchased during his shopping raids. We go through food pretty quickly, so bulk buying makes sense for us.

*We have tried every system known to man, to keep labels on food in the deep-freeze. But we still end up with mystery packages sometimes.

Amethyst

[attempt to] label,* ...

*We have tried every system known to man, to keep labels on food in the deep-freeze. But we still end up with mystery packages sometimes.

Zip lock bag with description and date written directly on the bag with permanent marker has never failed us.

Zip lock bag with description and date written directly on the bag with permanent marker has never failed us.

But then you can't wash and re-use the bag! In the interests of LBYM, I just embrace the mystery - - it adds a little spice to life. :ROFLMAO:

FUEGO said:

And yet again, I am thinking of bringing you here for some training classes for DH!

We also buy the larger packages of meats/chicken on sale and freeze them. Our system is to separate the meat into meal portions (e.g. -- one chicken breast);wrap with plastic wrap; weigh on the digital scale; then wrap with aluminium foil and write identity, weight and date on the outside of the foil with a Sharpie.

Having a 1 hour drive to town for provisions, we both go together every two weeks. We may pass 6 vehicles going in the opposite direction in 50 miles, half would be Border Patrol. Not the place where MS G would like to get a flat tire or have truck trouble, 30 miles without any cell signal. We take one or two 150 quart coolers. The freezer in the barn has paid for itself and electricity we save by filling water jugs and freezing them.

We spend the trip between talking, NPR, or Bloomberg, on Sirius radio, all the other stations are spanish, and once I get past cerveza por favor, and vamonos I am done. I only time shopping really bothers me is when we have folks over for food. Ms G than has a shopping list 3 times the size that we usually have. Once home Ms G has put away duty, me I am humping coolers and bags to the house for us. Thing is we could go 2 months without shopping for items we have stored in the barn, just wouldn't have any fresh veggies or fruit.

But then you can't wash and re-use the bag! In the interests of LBYM, I just embrace the mystery - - it adds a little spice to life. :ROFLMAO:

Then you end up with tortillas stuffed with spaghetti sauce and seasoned taco beef on your pasta. Not that this is the reason DW is on board with labeling bags of frozen food now... :D

My son does the Cosco and Sam's club trips and I do the grocery shopping at the local supermarket.

Back
Top Bottom