Who else lives in a really old house?

Live in a house built in 1932. Was one of the first houses along the ocean at the time on the northern coast of California. Was told that way back then nobody wanted the 'dirty' oceanfront land. It creaks in the high winds, which we find kind of cool.

House built in 1865...old farm house. We have been redoing things slowly (15 years) with our own hands. There were two additions added before we purchased, and our biggest change was to convert the large living room into the master bedroom and a study. Our old bedroom became a walk-in (walk-through) closet.
Currently working on 2 bedrooms, and then must deal with a bathroom between them. Maybe another 3 years...then we will sell it.

Oh why would you sell it after you have done so much work to your old house? Is the house in Hilton Head? Any history to it?--it was built during the civil war.

Our small tract house was built in 1986, not old by any stretch but being the original owners and watching all the young families come and go over the years....

I guess we are “old” not the house.

Re machine those old floorboards. If it has not been sanded to death by idiots, it will do fine. I had a 1912 house in Raleigh, first floor was shot and I used it as subfloor. But the second floor was painted for 80 years. Heartpine floors in pristine condition with easily 3 sandings at 30 or so years a sand. It has another 100 years in it. I did foundation, plumbing, electrical, 2 staircases, attic, both HVAC systems. Moving closets and handrails was difficult. Put underlay foam seal and aluminium radiant barrier under new hardwoods for entire first floor. I hate plaster, so I gutted, insulated and drywalled all but one room. If only I had completed the solar heating and PV panel project.

Boylan heights had collusion with regard to endless rules. As long as it looked period and was an improvement, no one complained.

Joys of living in an old house. Repairing rotted floor joists before other cosmetic improvements can be tackled. IMG_8340.jpg bottom of support jack completely rusted out.

IMG_8345.JPG
support beam for sistered joists failing

IMG_8340.JPGone of nine joists that were sisters but rotted out over time.

Last edited:
Oh why would you sell it after you have done so much work to your old house? Is the house in Hilton Head? Any history to it?--it was built during the civil war.

We now live in Hilton Head...the old house is in Cincinnati...not any significant history. We started the rehab back in 2004 just making the house more comfortable ..and getting rid of the issues from the most recent additions. There was 2.5" tilt in the dining room that required sistering the joists, else all our marbles would end up in one corner. What started as a hobby/project has become more tedious as we approach 70 years of age, and it is very difficult to get 4 x 8 sheets up the narrow staircase.

Our newer home in Hilton Head has a creek in our back yard with dolphins, an otter, Merganser ducks, herons, and a couple alligators (Jake and Flo)...plus it is warmer...so we have moved and will be happy to say goodbye to the 156 year old house when the time comes.

We now live in Hilton Head...the old house is in Cincinnati...not any significant history. We started the rehab back in 2004 just making the house more comfortable ..and getting rid of the issues from the most recent additions. There was 2.5" tilt in the dining room that required sistering the joists, else all our marbles would end up in one corner. What started as a hobby/project has become more tedious as we approach 70 years of age, and it is very difficult to get 4 x 8 sheets up the narrow staircase.

Our newer home in Hilton Head has a creek in our back yard with dolphins, an otter, Merganser ducks, herons, and a couple alligators (Jake and Flo)...plus it is warmer...so we have moved and will be happy to say goodbye to the 156 year old house when the time comes.

Oh that makes more sense. Yes at age 70 myself it is getting harder and harder to deal with an old house and next week my DH has knee replacement. So we plan to move to a Continuing Care Community at some point. I have visited HH several times and really enjoyed it.

We have a 1920 English Tutor. Fortunately prior owners put the work in to it as we have had to do very little.

For 25 years had planned on retiring to our place in Virginia.. Log house built by ex-Hessian Soldiers in 1700's, added onto mid 1800's, restored and new addition 1980's on the Shenandoah River. 5 bedroom, 4 bath; modern kitchen, baths etc..
Upon retiring, realized/accepted that the maintenance, taxes and limitations being imposed due to it's historical nature were more than we wanted to deal with despite the awesome setting. Also, it was COLD during the winter.
Now live in a new(er) post Katrina house that looks like a 1920's Craftsman style
.. Best of both world - looks old, is new.

Last edited:
grew up in a Victorian house.
Love the style and beauty of older houses, but love the dependability and energy efficiency of new.

Last edited:
Hope you mean Tudor ...... a 1920 Tutor would be a very old teacher !:dance:

Thinking back: Indeed most of MY English teachers were born back in the 1920's. Of course, now I'm way older than they were when they tried to teach me. Ahhh, the cycle of life. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom