Who else lives in a really old house?

harllee

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I live in a 120 year old house in a historic district. Over the years the house has been updated but still retains some neat features like the original wood floors, neat molding, a great front porch, etc. Pre Covid it was a great place to entertain. Of course there is a lot of upkeep and maintenance which is getting harder and harder to do as we get older (and DH is having knee replacement in a couple of weeks). We live in a historic district which has its pluses and minuses. It is a neat area to live in, very walkable and it is good to know these old houses are protected. However, sometimes the historic district commission goes overboard--like when we replaced the roof and they would not approve the shingles we had chosen and when they made us replace our mailbox because it looked too modern.:rolleyes:

Anybody else live in a an old house?

How old is old?

We live in a 1960's ranch, so 61 years old.
Pluses:
Single level, basic stretch ranch, 3 smaller bedrooms, 3 baths, but large living, dining, and family rooms.
We've updated/replaced things a few times, but no major remodeling.
A good place to age in. One step from the garage, one step to the front door.
One bedroom and bathroom could easily have the doors widened for wheelchair , if needed.
Minuses:
pretty much no insulation. Have added to floors and ceiling/attic.

Mine is estimated to be maybe 140 years old. I hear you about the historic district rules, we have a nearby town where they're just insane.

Fortunately, my house is neither historic, nor in a designated district. A very small percentage of the materials are original at this point. It was more like a run-down shack when I bought it.

Still, a lot of work. Part of me wants to start over; build a new house from scratch. All plumb, level, square and modern. I may yet.

My house was built in 1857, so it's now 164 years old. My town was founded in 1639, so mine is far from the oldest around here. When the house was built, it didn't have heat besides the fireplaces (there are four of them) and the kitchen was in the cellar, where there remains a giant cooking fireplace with a beehive oven. Hot water radiators were installed sometime later. It also did not have indoor plumbing originally, so there are some oddities about the way that has been shoehorned into the house. We still have mostly original plaster walls and all the original hardwood floors. The siding is still original, as are the shutters. We replaced all the original windows with new Marvin windows that look exactly the same as the old ones. That was really expensive. But, then, you shouldn't buy a historic house unless you're willing to shell out the big bucks.

DW grew up in a farmhouse that was built in 1830, and it's still occupied today (not by us, fortunately).

My house was built in 1857, so it's now 164 years old. My town was founded in 1639, so mine is far from the oldest around here. When the house was built, it didn't have heat besides the fireplaces (there are four of them) and the kitchen was in the cellar, where there remains a giant cooking fireplace with a beehive oven. Hot water radiators were installed sometime later. It also did not have indoor plumbing originally, so there are some oddities about the way that has been shoehorned into the house. We still have mostly original plaster walls and all the original hardwood floors. The siding is still original, as are the shutters. We replaced all the original windows with new Marvin windows that look exactly the same as the old ones. That was really expensive. But, then, you shouldn't buy a historic house unless you're willing to shell out the big bucks.

Wow Gumby that is some house! Are you in a historic district? I still have the original plaster walls and floors in my 120 year old house and we hang pictures using picture molding. Do you have central air conditioning? Installing that was a big expense in my house.

Ours is nearing 100. We put in extensive sweat equity 30 years ago but it’s about time for another major renewal. Haven’t decided if we’re doing it, having it done, or let some other young couple make their mark on it.

Well shoot I was going to say my 103 year old house was old, but I guess not

Well shoot I was going to say my 103 year old house was old, but I guess not

Yeah, the house I grew up in is only 96 years old so I didn't feel it was worth even mentioning. But Zillow says it's worth 64 times what my parents paid for it in 1948.

Ours is 143 years old. Has had extensive remodels throughout the years changing from single family to duplex and back. Original pine flooring in poor shape and will be changed out relatively soon unfortunately.

Wow Gumby that is some house! Are you in a historic district? I still have the original plaster walls and floors in my 120 year old house and we hang pictures using picture molding. Do you have central air conditioning? Installing that was a big expense in my house.

We are in the historic district and like it that way. The rules keep the neighbors from doing crazy things to their houses and don't unnecessarily cramp our style. I was on the historic district commission for over ten years. We very rarely denied an application, as most of the people who live here bought into the neighborhood specifically because they like its historic character and want to keep it that way.

We do not have central AC and it will be difficult to install because we have hot water radiator heat rather than forced air. I have been thinking about a micro-duct AC system, as that is the least intrusive in an old house. As you note, they are very expensive. Our weather here is moderated by Long Island Sound, such that we don't need AC all that often. For the hottest days, we have a small window unit in our bedroom so we can sleep and a slightly larger one for the office and kitchen so we can cook and work. Both window units are on the rear of the house, so they don't impair the historic look of the house from the street.

We don't have picture rails, but we are very careful about what we hang on the walls. Nothing heavy at all.

Another interesting facet of having a house this old is that we have the entire history of lighting contained in it. Over the years, as we have done renovations, we have discovered places where they had oil lamps on wall sconces, because you could see the smoke trails up the wall. At one time, the house also had gas chandeliers, and the disconnected gas pipes run through the walls. Then, it had knob and tube electric wiring. Some of the connectors are still in the cellar, although the wires are all gone. There is also some wiring with woven cloth covering, some in armored flex conduit, and the modern blue plastic coated stuff. It's quite a hodge-podge.

This is also one of the earliest houses in the country to have a telephone (the second telephone exchange in Connecticut is about a block away)

What I call the family "homestead" on the mainland has been in the family (now 3rd generation) for 75 years. I rent it from the 3rd generation and stay there when I visit (all but last summer.) Parts of it appear to have been built just after the Civil War. It's an old two-story farm house with an add-on shed-roofed single story. Vestiges of the farm were still there well into my teens when they were finally torn down. Behind the house was an actual smoke-house still stained with soot. At the time I moved in (upon birth) there remained one acre with the house. After my family moved out in my teens, I came back to live with DW when we married. Though we moved to other sites in town, we always came back. In total, I would guess I've lived half my life in that structure.

In the early 80s, DW and I did a major remodel. When we tore into the shed-roofed addition, we found a 1901 penny in the wall. Not sure if it was left as a time capsule or simply was dropped there during construction. Soot stained all the wood as coal was the principal heating fuel even when I was a youngster. By the way, there was NO insulation between the outer clapboard and inner lath and plaster walls. Conversion to oil and then gas occurred during my life time.

There is a feeling of continuity every time I return. I still have childhood toys in the upstairs (area used as my old room - now a storage area.) Much has changed (modern heating system, modern plumbing and kitchen, etc.), but much has stayed the same. It's the best of both worlds.

How old is old?

We live in a 1960's ranch, so 61 years old.
Pluses:
Single level, basic stretch ranch, 3 smaller bedrooms, 3 baths, but large living, dining, and family rooms.
We've updated/replaced things a few times, but no major remodeling.
A good place to age in. One step from the garage, one step to the front door.
One bedroom and bathroom could easily have the doors widened for wheelchair , if needed.
Minuses:
pretty much no insulation. Have added to floors and ceiling/attic.

Me too! Mine is a brick ranch house built in 1965, so only 56 years old. I agree, often 1960's ranch homes are well suited to age in (mine is, too). In my case there is quite a lot of insulation, so my guess is that the prior owner probably had that done at some point. One step at the front door, and half a step at the side door but wheelchair friendly overall, and no other stairs. I love how thick the walls are so that sounds from elsewhere seldom bother me. No HOA or homeowners' association. Most of the neighbors were the original owners, so they are in their 80's or thereabouts and starting to die off, sadly. Often their kids move in after they pass, but they are old enough that we still have no children on our block.

New Orleans has many, many historic homes from the 1800's or earlier, that are still occupied. F lived in one for several years and was less than impressed with the maintenance and upgrades needed for that house. I love those older historic homes too, but I recognize that some do need more maintenance than one might initially expect.

I grew up without air conditioning but here in NC I could not imagine living without central air now. We have gas heat in this old house and so had the duct work that we could use when we installed the central air conditioning years ago. but it was still very expensive.

Regarding the historical commission--I am glad we have it to protect the character of the neighborhood and the old houses. However some of the things they do seems just silly to me. We had to replace the roof and we wanted to get shingles that were longer lasting and looked to me about the same as the old shingles that were on the house. They would not let us use the longer lasting shingles and for the life of me I could never figure out why. Our old mailbox fell apart and we replaced it with one that was similar--the historical commission is complaining about that the mailbox is too modern. But we need a locking mailbox (mail has been disappeared) and the kind they want us to use does not lock.

Hmm ..... these are all modern homes. My wife's house (where she was brought up) was built in 1609 , the one we are in now is modern , it's on the 1835 O.S. map (first produced series) - so it's older than that .............. but we have no idea by how much !

Ours is 143 years old. Has had extensive remodels throughout the years changing from single family to duplex and back. Original pine flooring in poor shape and will be changed out relatively soon unfortunately.

I hear you about that old-growth pine flooring. My dad's old place, built about 150 years ago, had the same wide boards, and it was shot in traffic areas. Fortunately there are rooms where it's in fairly decent shape. It's neat to look at, although hardly an ideal wood for flooring.

Our current house is about 125 years old, a two-story farmhouse built with the yellow brick common to southern Wisconsin. They call it "cream city" brick in Milwaukee.

At some point, probably 100 years ago, they installed steam central heating with a coal-fired boiler in the house. It must have been state of the art when they put it in, at a time when most farmers relied on cordwood.

The chimney was full of old clinkers when we bought the house, even though the coal boiler had been scrapped years earlier for fuel oil. The steam distribution remained somewhat intact, though, with the one-way radiator valves that would hiss and click to accommodate more live steam.

Ultimately we converted the boiler to hydronic and eventually installed a wood pellet boiler that does a pretty good job of heating the old place at a somewhat acceptable cost. A friend who also lives in an old farmhouse perched on a hill likes to complain that heating his place is like heating a corn crib.

Hmm ..... these are all modern homes. My wife's house (where she was brought up) was built in 1609 , the one we are in now is modern , it's on the 1835 O.S. map (first produced series) - so it's older than that .............. but we have no idea by how much !
That's one big difference between the USA and the UK. In the US, 100 years is a long time. In the UK, 100 miles is a long way.

I don't live in an old house now, but the house I was born and raised in, is 118 years old and is still is a home for a family.

I have a oil painted picture, of my grandparents home that I have hanging in my living room. The home was 4 room and had no running water and had 3 light bulbs. My grandmother lived there till early 70's. A photo was taken and mom had an oil painting done of the home and I have it now. It is a reminder of my family history and the tough journey they had in life. The house is no longer there but would have been in 130 year old home, if still standing today.

Last edited:

In North America, 1609 is the founding date of Jamestown, the first English colony on the continent.

Edit: I'm wrong, the first settlement was in 1607 -- 1609 is when nearly everybody died.

Current house is an early 60's 'leave it to beaver' tract home. It's the house I grew up in (bought from my parents.)

House prior to that was a twin home built in 1910. When it was original it had a coal furnace... Later they replaced that with an oil furnace (in 1957)... That oil furnace was still working when I sold in 2001. 4 bedrooms, 1 bathroom. I guess they didn't believe in putting in many bathrooms back in the day. I bought it from a mother daughter duo. Mom had moved in (renting) as a newlywed. Daughter had lived there her entire life. (She'd married but husband shipped out immediately to Europe for WW2 and was killed.) When I purchased the mom was 104 and the daughter was in her early 80's. The issue of the only bathroom being on the 2nd floor was why they moved. (Though mom was still mobile.) I loved that house. My husband hated it. He noticed every crooked wall, etc. (I owned it before I met him). Some other older features were the gas lamp fixtures on the 3rd floor. The lathe/horsehair plaster exposed in the closet on the 3rd floor. The neighborhood had a covenant... I was not allowed to run a boarding house, a livery, or a tannery. LOL.

Well, I thought the house I grew up in was old but I guess not. Built 1941 shortly before WWII. It was a two bedroom one bath, half an unfinished basement and Dad made the attic into a sorta bedroom where my two sisters slept. Oil fired hot water heat, no A/C (that was for rich people). Dad's down payment was that he didn't take the refrigerator that was supposed to come with the house (zoning required new houses to have a refrigerator) and he found a "scratch & dent" one with the dent on the side that was up against the wall anyway. It was sold by Mom in 1990 and the new owners completely renovated it. Now has four bedrooms and two baths. I can still recognize it in the photo on Zillow.

It did have plaster walls, I remember that. Solid as a rock. The attic floor did have about three inches or so of insulation between the joists but that was all.

Zillow now shows it having a market value of $569,000. Mom offered to sell it to me but I didn't want it.:facepalm:

I thought my 120 year old house was old--I guess I am wrong. Great to hear about all these
old houses that are being preserved. The 1609 house in Ireland is the winner so far!

In North America, 1609 is the founding date of Jamestown, the first English colony on the continent.

Edit: I'm wrong, the first settlement was in 1607 -- 1609 is when nearly everybody died.

That was a couple of hundred years after the Thatch Inn was established.
https://www.thethatchnantwich.co.uk/#Home

We had dinner there when we visited our family nearby. They lived in a 300 year old house when they were younger. It is amazing the difference between the new and old worlds.

We own an original house in Boulder City built in 1932 for one of the civil engineers working on the Hoover dam project. We use it as our winter home. It's 820 square feet 2 bedroom 1 bath not counting a small room addition on the back side of the house. We love it! It's had some remodeling done over the years but still retains some of the original materials. We're planning on doing a new porch,roof, windows and kitchen update. It's neat to be in a town designed and built by the US Government for housing the workers on the dam. The town has a historic district and a small downtown area with restaurants and shops. 5 miles to Lake Mead and 20 miles to Las Vegas!

Back
Top Bottom