Why Are People Dumb?

Obviously people fall somewhere along a bell curve in terms of intelligence, and some people always will be incapable of learning and applying knowledge. No big mystery there. What is a mystery to me is why so many people who otherwise appear to have sufficient mental capacity seem to be not only willfully ignorant of even the most basic information but also actively opposed to engaging their brains in any meaningful manner to analyze and interpret the information they do know. There seems to be a very strong, and growing, anti-intellectual streak in modern American culture. I don't know why that is so, but it makes me fear for the future of the country.
Three is such a vast gulf between the mid-century, when I was a high school student, and today. Just compare what was on TV for example. I read recently, "Do not grieve that your society is failing, for it is inevitable that all societies fail. Grieve instead your bad fortune to be born at this time of descent."

So far we are ahead of whatever may be coming, so I am not grieving yet. But like you, I can see that we have fallen.

Ha

Gumby said:
. What is a mystery to me is why so many people who otherwise appear to have sufficient mental capacity seem to be not only willfully ignorant of even the most basic information but also actively opposed to engaging their brains in any meaningful manner to analyze and interpret the information they do know. There seems to be a very strong, and growing, anti-intellectual streak in modern American culture. I don't know why that is so, but it makes me fear for the future of the country.

The answer there may be: education. You need that teacher who shows you how to interpret, analyze, and engage. In my case, Mr. Wilcox, 5th grade, Ms. Dietrich, 10th grade, etc.

There seems to be a very strong, and growing, anti-intellectual streak in modern American culture.
And here, no less than elsewhere. I recall a recent thread on the worth of a college education, where a common opinion appeared to be that learning plumbing or carpentry would be better, giving a faster and more dependable return on investment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom