Will Boomers Cash In

Lee is still viewed as almost Christlike by many in the South. I personally believe he was about as close to a perfect human being as you can get, at least by my
standards.

JG

One of my first bosses in the workforce(Boeing) was Souix - joined the Navy in WW II and never went back.

Souix Independance Day (when Custer got his cookies) - first time I ever heard the term.

Eagle--
Try this link for a pretty good insight into Paul Volker. It's a PBS interview with him apparently done in the late 1990's sometime. Also check out the interview with Alfred E. Kahn on the same link, Click on the word interview under each guy's picture. Read Volker's interview first then read Kahn's. Be sure to plow all the way through Kahn's interview. He talks about a lunch he had with Volker during the bad times. Fascinating.

http://www.pbs.org/fmc/interviews/3seg4.htm

I don't idolize Paul Volker. In a way I feel kinda sorry for him. I think history has given him a bum rap. He was a guy who circumstances forced into a very bad situation. I'm sure he didn't enjoy wrecking careers and families and forcing people into bankruptcy. But he inherited a mess and he did what he had to do. As he told Kahn at lunch: "Only I have a weapon to use in this town and one of these days I am going to have to use it." The only point I am trying to make using Volker as an example is: if you have to cut meat, find yourself a butcher. Get the guy for the job.

I think the Kahn story is even more fascinating. He was Chairman of the Council on Wage and Price Stability. Remember that? His observations on the nature and effect of inflation are well worth the read. He makes some great points. I think he is right on about the psychological effects of inflation. Once you get inflation psychology moving in the country its damned hard to reverse. You need to get yourself a butcher. Greenspan knows all this. He lived through it, too. And, he is determined to not let it happen again in his lifetime. Shoulda acted sooner than he did though, IMO. Psychological cat may be out of the bag now.

Donner

Eagle--

I must be psychic or something. See today's WSJ editorial entitled Greenspan's Real Mistake:

http://online.wsj.com/article/1,,SB111136488592084707,00.html?mod=TOPIC

An excerpt:

We aren't the only ones warning about inflation risks. No less an authority than Paul Volcker, the former Fed Chairman, used a February speech at Stanford to underscore what he called "the oldest lesson of economic policy: a strong sense of monetary and fiscal discipline. ... This is not a time to take chances on forcing faster economic growth at the risk of rising inflation." Mr. Volcker has rarely spoken up about monetary policy since he left the Fed in 1987, so this is stout ale.

Jimminy Cricket! Sounds like they are getting the old man warmed up in the bullpen! What a message that would send! The French and Germans would croak, not to mention the Asians and the Arabs. The sight of that unsmiling old warrior striding into the room with that cigar chomped between his jaws to take the oath of office one more time would expunge any inflationary thoughts or any other bad thoughts about the dollar, or the trade deficit, or excess worldwide liquidity that anybody, domestic or foreign, may be harboring at that time. No doubt what that guy's policy would be. I do believe even the Chinese would sit up and take notice. Might even be a little more cooperative in adjusting the value of their currency. Gives me the willies just musing it over. We would have one big, tough, mean cat in the cage wearing the red, white and blue trunks. Think about it , George!

Donner

JG

Those that you admire, I understand all except Custer. Why Custer?
Uncledrz

Eagle--
Read Volker's interview first then read Kahn's. Be sure to plow all the way through Kahn's interview. He talks about a lunch he had with Volker during the bad times. Fascinating.

http://www.pbs.org/fmc/interviews/3seg4.htm

I don't idolize Paul Volker. In a way I feel kinda sorry for him. I think history has given him a bum rap. He was a guy who circumstances forced into a very bad situation. I'm sure he didn't enjoy wrecking careers and families and forcing people into bankruptcy. But he inherited a mess and he did what he had to do. As he told Kahn at lunch: "Only I have a weapon to use in this town and one of these days I am going to have to use it." The only point I am trying to make using Volker as an example is: if you have to cut meat, find yourself a butcher. Get the guy for the job.

I think the Kahn story is even more fascinating. He was Chairman of the Council on Wage and Price Stability. Remember that? His observations on the nature and effect of inflation are well worth the read. He makes some great points. I think he is right on about the psychological effects of inflation. Once you get inflation psychology moving in the country its damned hard to reverse. You need to get yourself a butcher. Greenspan knows all this. He lived through it, too. And, he is determined to not let it happen again in his lifetime. Shoulda acted sooner than he did though, IMO. Psychological cat may be out of the bag now.

Donner

I'm reading, with my 2d glass of wine. Anyway, first thing I notice is I was wrong about his time frame. He took over in 1979, right at the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency. Of course he was on the Fed during Carter's dreadful economic years, but didn't become chairman until late.

Here's one excerpt: QUESTION: Why did they say inflation is the cruelest tax?

PAUL VOLCKER: Inflation is thought of as a cruel, and maybe the cruelest, tax because it hits in a many-sectored way, in an unplanned way, and it hits the people on a fixed income hardest. And there's quite a lot of evidence, contrary to some earlier thinking, that it hits poorer people more than richer people, who have more maneuverability, more way to protect themselves - who own their houses, for instance.

I know that Greenspan feels the same way; hates inflation. I remember a 60 minutes program during that time saying that it was common practice to "buy now", cause it'll cost more tomorrow. Kind of like Kahn.

His reply on throwing people out of work is insightful. His policies got them unemployed, only sooner.

Kahn's interview indicates that Volcker took action in spite of the fact that it would annoy Democratic voters He knew that unemployment would ensue. I like that. Not the unemployment, but he appears to be a man of principle.

Well, back to the wine and the reading. But I better read it again tomorrow, with coffee. :) And thanks for the insight.

Those that you admire, I understand all except Custer.  Why Custer?
Uncledrz

If you can accept Ayn Rand, there is no one who should fail to clear your bar.

Mikey

I just threw Custer in for the hell of it. I write this stuff fast and sometimes the output reflects it. Re. Ayn Rand, I am as close to a "true believer" as you will
find. She was a genius, as was Orwell. They looked into
the future and showed it to you.

JG

Mikey

I didn't say that I accept Ann Ryand, only that I could understand why she was on the list. People of thought who cause us to think and evaluate, I can understand why one might admire such a person, whether I do or not. The reason that I could not understand Custer is that he is known for his ego and blunder which cost him his life and the lives of and all of those under his command.

Uncledrz

In Custer's  case- actually it's a raging debate by some military historians.

The Plains Indians rode circles around the U.S. - until they developed the military tactic of attacking them incampment - worked best in winter.

Custer forgot - it wasn't winter and even a good tactic has it's limitations when the ratio of Indians to Calvary exceeds a certain point. Heh, heh - that was before Clint Eastwood's "A man's got to know his limitations."

In Ann Rand's case - I'm glad most of her stuff stayed in theory and not practice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom