Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-16-2018, 04:49 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Hmmm. I think I must have missed something. I've been doing this for years.
and now, with FlashPeak Slimjet, it's just like using chrome.

I guess there must be risks, but I don't know what they are?
It is complicated and deep to understand. Just know this much: there are bugs in the software that go beyond browser usage. Since these bugs are now well known, the hacker community can use them to inject bad stuff onto your system simply by being connected to the internet. "Bad stuff" can be anything from your machine being used to mine bitcoins for them, to being ransomed, to having your data stolen.

These kind of issues normally get fixed by support pushes. XP and Vista are not supported. You run serious, serious risks with any Vista or XP machine if connected to the internet.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When I first retired, I like to listen to the traffic reports to see what I was no longer exposed to. Now I like reading about Windows problems. I have drunk the Apple-flavored Kool-Aid.
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
The new MAC does not have a traditional A or B USB right? No headphone jack right? I would have to purchase a new backup drives, new USB drives, etc...
How did you overcome all this hassle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
My new MacBook Pro only came with Thunderbolt/USB-C ports which I was dreading. I simply bought a highly rated USB-C hub and every device that I have plugs into that and all just works when you turn it on. No installing drivers, configuring this or that, etc......Just plug your stuff in and use it.
Dongles. And using a hub is a good solution. For audio, I use bluetooth headphones. I find the convenience is worth the hassle to make sure they're charged. Now I can walk around the house and listen without being tethered to a device.

I've also migrated to a lot of wireless devices. For example, the Brother laser printer we use is wifi enabled. This is nice, because we can print from iOS. And I never have to look for drivers, which was a constant hassle with Windows.

I find that the Mac is pretty intuitive. I suspect that if you spend a day or two with one, you'd easily be able to figure it out. A nice bonus is that you can visit an Apple store if you ever have any questions.

The learning curve goes both ways too. I had to migrate old data from an external drive that was used with Windows. I had files encrypted on the drive, so I had to install Windows in a VM to decrypt the contents before moving it over to the Mac. It was straightforward, but it's interesting that after years of using a Mac, Windows feels foreign. And the shell is terrible.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:26 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
I have a question for those of you that moved over to Apple. How was your learning curve and did all your software work? I have tried using my daughters Mac but I do not like having to figure out how to find the apps, setting, and dealing with if it has a USB or not.
Since I use excel and work a fair amount I would have to purchase new software and find all new drivers for my printers, speakers, etc.
Was not all this a hassle? The new MAC does not have a traditional A or B USB right? No headphone jack right? I would have to purchase a new backup drives, new USB drives, etc...
How did you overcome all this hassle?
There was very little hassle. MUCH less than buying a new Windows machine. My iMac has plenty of ports, and I use the same bus thing that I had with my Windows machine to make them more convenient.

My new MacBook only has two USB3 ports and a headphone jack.

I use the same backup drive that I had in the past, but now it's connected permanently and Time Machine does automatic backups every few hours.

One of the pleasures of working on the Mac is the standardization. On Windows, an app's preferences might be at Tools/Options, Edit/Preferences, File/Preferences. Almost all Mac app have them prefs in the same place.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Over the past few years, I've had success with Ubuntu Linux. I installed it on a PC that I assembled from separate parts - a Gigabyte motherboard, a WD hard drive, etc.. Ubuntu was able to find all these parts, and function indefinitely with no crashes or slow-downs.

The only hassle was getting the OS to recognize all the features on my Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner. Fortunately, Fujitsu does make a Linux driver, which is updated frequently.

And speaking of updates, you can choose when to install them, because you get a pop-up telling you that the updates are available. No forced overnight updates.

Roy in New Mexico
rtroxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a computer that I keep Windows 10 on. So now and then I turn it one for updates. So last night it updates, and reboots like 5 times, and it is slow on each update. This is on a good machine with an SSD. And it still isn't on 18.09, so it will need more updates and reboots soon.

I loathe Win 10.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote