Wine recommendations

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
How about some wine recomendations?
In the winter I usually drink reds so what do you recommend to drink for a glass or two while watching TV or surfing the net.

Right now I'm drinking
Charles Krug '98 Carbernet Sauvingonon $17 (I think) I would recommend it.

So what would you recommend? Don't forget the price

Once again I will "ditto" Cut-Throat's endorsement
of Yellowtail wines. It's a bit pricey for my
"every day" wine. Once my wife retires I may
rachet back to "Ripple" :)

John Galt

One of the fun things I do during some of my free time is make my own wine. The most expensive wine I have ever made was cabernet at a cost of $2 a bottle, but I don't make it for the low cost. I make it because I enjoy the process. If you have a fruit tree in your back yard, like pears or peaches, you can make wine at pennies a bottle. It only takes a small amount of start up expenses (under $100) and anyone can do it.
A good free resource is http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Home made Elderberry wine for Thanksgiving was a big deal in the Pacific NW growing up. Store bought didn't count. There were informal judging contests (heh, heh) as to which friend/relative made the best.

As to beer - the SO put the ki-bosch on my Bier House International over fifteen years ago: "It stinks up the house (1100 sq ft) and haven't you noticed that you are the only one who drinks it."

2816.jpg
Parducci Petite Sirah '00

9 Bucks. This winery has produced consistently good Petite Syrah's for decades. You should try this. DW and I have spent entire adventure tours just trying all the other P.S. wines because of our Parducci experience. Their Winery is located way up north of Santa Rosa, CA, not particularly near anything, but worth the trip. Available everywhere and of course through the wonders of mail order. It is the only wine of which we have EVER bought an entire case! (that lowered the price under $7 per bottle) Every year we've tried is good, not just the double ought.

I just picked up a case of the Yellow Tail - 3 bottles of each @ 6.50 including tax - I'll let you know what I think after I've tried a bottle.

I agree that Yellow Tail is a very good value. For those of us with a frugal bent, and reasonably close to a Trader Joe's, Charles Shaw is great. I like their Shiraz and Sauvignon Blanc.

One of the great adventures in my life was exploring the Australian wine country in a camper-van in celebration of my 60th! :)

For those of us with a frugal bent, and reasonably close to a Trader Joe's, Charles Shaw is great.

aka 2 buck chuck in California, 3 buck chuck in the northeast.

I don't drink much red but for Chardonay I'd recommend Santa Marvista Reserva 2003 for $3.50 for everyday. Sebastiani Sonoma County 2001 is a good dinner wine for $9.

K. B. Sharkstooth

Wine Report - Yellow Tail 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon
1st bottle - I'm a convert on the CS as a daily drinker.
Fairly smooth, dry, on the light side, a bit young.
Not for when the company is over but I will buy more.

More reviews to come

Still basking in pre-ER largess. Beringer cab sauv is just under $20 for 1.5 liter. Mrs. BUM and I try not to kill the whole bottle in one evening. Sometimes we do! After ER i'll be haunting the bargain bins.

BUM :)

Wine Report - Yellow Tail 2003 Shiraz Cabernet Sauvignon
2nd bottle - I like this better than the Cabernet Savignon. Light and smooth - it doesn't have that "young" taste of the CS
A good buy for the price
Two other verities to try.

We open no box before its time, and it's all been quite good when we did :D.

What's a good box wine and who carries it? I usually get my wine at Costco, and so far I haven't seen any boxes there (which seems odd for a big-box store).

I love the idea of a wine that will still stay good for more than a day after being opened, and boxes seem like they'd fair better than bottles.

Franzia Chillable Red house wine seems to please most of the red wine drinkers in the family, and we have widely different tastes in wine. Give it a try.

Franzia Chillable Red house wine seems to please most of the red wine drinkers in the family, and we have widely different tastes in wine. Give it a try. It's at most grocery stores around here.

Black box and delicato are both considered as good as any mid-priced bottle wine.

The cheapos at the supermarket are not that good but they're comparable to any two-buck-chuck type wines.

I've liked the Corbett Canyon merlot in the 3 liter box. Their whites arent too bad.

I've noticed the "better" wines tend to come in a 3 liter box while the cheaper ones come in 5 liter boxes.

The Corbett Canyon is a regular here at our household. I use it for cooking and occasionally even drink it with a meal.

If i'm going upscale a little, I do like the Yellowtail's that Cut-Throat originally turned me on to. The local sams club now carries a variety of theirs for under $6 for a 1.5l bottle.

If you have a trader joes nearby, try their charles shaw Shiraz. It recently was named as a top wine in america in a blind taste testing. The broad set of tasters were so appalled that they chose a two buck chuck wine that they thought their reputations would be ruined. I've tried it. Its pretty darn good.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040617/news_1n17wine.html

Wine is a different business now. The low end has really, really improved. I live within a few hours of most of the larger 'wine country' areas. I've noticed that almost all the farms are now growing wine grapes to some degree. There was a news spot on the other night talking to smaller farmers who are giving up carrots and tomatoes for wine grapes and making a lot more money.

So any talk of the 'wine glut' ending and the end of the supercheap wines is whistling past the graveyard if you ask me...

I can second Black Box, especially the Charonnay. The Banrock Station boxes are pretty decent, too.

My understanding is that Whole Paycheck, er, Foods now carries boxed wine from Australia. I think Banrock Station, not sure.

Depends on where you are. Here in the land of excessive regulation (NJ), supermarkets can't sell evil, pernicious wine.

First thing I did when I moved from Massachestnuts to Kahliforneea was to buy a six pack of beer in a drug store at 11pm on a sunday night.

The australlian boxed wines are generally pretty good. If you consider that a lot of wine outside the US is boxed, and almost all the bottled wine uses the superior screw-top, we're a little behind the times.

Its also nice to tap a box of wine and take a month to drink it, with the last glass being as fresh as the first...

First thing I did when I moved from Massachestnuts to Kahliforneea was to buy a six pack of beer in a drug store at 11pm on a sunday night.
I don't know when you depaated the Bay State, but you can buy licka hea on Sundays now. I usually keep so much a the stuff down my cella, that I don't need ta worry abourit. In fact, I just had some bea yestaday while I was watchin the Patriots kick some butt. They ah wicked awesome. Go Pats!!! And the Sox ain't doin to shabby eitha.

12 years ago, and I heard its different now.

I guess if i still lived there I'd miss the sunday afternoon runs to rhode island or new hampshah.

Its good to see the patsies doing bettah aftah all those crappy seasons. Much bettah than the forty ninahs or the raidahs ahh doing this yeah.

Crap...every time I run into a new englandah the accent comes back.

Now I want some chowdah and a beah.

Guys,

My spell checker is goin(g) nuts.

MJ :D

Hot news: Sunday prohibition in Massachusetts has been repealed and we Mass-holes are now free to practice our vices on ye Sabbath.

Back
Top Bottom