wireless access

No, you need to have a single computer (laptop is best) connected via cable to the router. Then, once you have the wireless network configured to your satisfaction, set up whichever pieces you want as wireless.

So, Khan, did you ever figure out what the problem is/was? I'm always curious about troubleshooting.

Also, once you do the reset, there may still be a default ID and password. Look up your model at Default Password List. If you have a Linksys it's probably either admin and (none) or admin and admin. But doublecheck to make sure. It's probably on your install disk too. But then it's just a matter of setting your network back up and securing it (or not), then connecting.

There is, also, the possibility (probability) that this ID/Password combination will work as currently configured. During the setup procedure, there is no requirement that they be changed and you may not have. At least, it is worth a try before venturing into all the work involved in a new setup.

My worst fears are being realized.

Several hours ago, I hooked up my Dell laptop via wire to the router, inserted the Linksys CD and started following the Easy-Start menu.

Along the way I pushed reset buttons on the modem and router, etc etc

As I worked thru the menu options on the CD...when I got to a (confirmation) page that showed me the old settings and my new ones...the old one said mixed access (both wireless and wired) and the new one only showed wired. There was another menu option (which I don't recall offhand) on the new screen that was not the one I had chosen. It's almost like my 'picks' weren't registering, but neither were the old ones 'carrying-over'.

Just to see if anything was working, I accepted teh new setting adn the CD attempted to run a check..but then it showed that there wasn't an active connection to the internet.

I'm at a loss as to what to do.:(

The Linksys CD also has a built-in manual that I quickly skimmed. It does give instructions on how to hook-up the router using menu commands.

I'm open to any ideas...

omni

Along the way I pushed reset buttons on the modem and router, etc etc

As I worked thru the menu options on the CD...when I got to a (confirmation) page that showed me the old settings and my new ones...

Others will chime in I'm sure, but if your router is still showing your old settings that's a dead giveaway your reset didn't work. It won't have any settings other than the factory default once it is reset.

Others will chime in I'm sure, but if your router is still showing your old settings that's a dead giveaway your reset didn't work. It won't have any settings other than the factory default once it is reset.

I've tried resetting the router several times by pushing the little button.

Could these old settings be linked somehow to the set-up CD?

omni

As an experiment, I don't have the router hooked to the internet or this computer. ( It is 'powered' and hooked up to a printer and printer server. )
I just tried pushing the router reset button and none of the lights on the front did anything.

Does this mean the router is bad? OR what...? (I tend to think it's my lack of knowledge...as the router was working fine until I started messing with the system.)

omni

Try pushing and holding the reset button for at least 10 seconds. Sometimes these things have a built in delay to prevent accidental wiping out of all your settings.

REW,

I've done that...and will willingly do it again.

Should I power-down the router and power it back up after the reset button is depressed for 10+ seconds?

omni

No need to power down, the reset button should work with the power on.

I'm about out of ideas. Maybe someone with some real tech skills (unlike my unreal ones :)) will come along with some suggestions.

Try this:
How to Reset the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router

My router is similar to the 54g, and I didn't think you had to hold it that long, but I found several references saying 30 sec. Like Wahoo said, when it is reset, you will not have any passwords in it. It will be just as it came out of the box. The username is admin and the password is admin. The password is all lower case and case sensitive.

Try this:
How to Reset the Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router

My router is similar to the 54g, and I didn't think you had to hold it that long, but I found several references saying 30 sec. Like Wahoo said, when it is reset, you will not have any passwords in it. It will be just as it came out of the box. The username is admin and the password is admin. The password is all lower case and case sensitive.

Right - and omni550 needs to get the directions for his specific model. Seems I've seen some where you need to power DOWN, depress and hold the RESET while you power UP. It depends.

The other good advice in the link you gave: forget the CD, just log into the router with a browser and use the built in web page setup provided by the router. It is so easy, and you will learn how to set up any router, anywhere, on any OS. If you have a netbook, you probably don't even have a CD reader handy. KISS and just log in direct.

-ERD50

OMG!!!!! I finally (after close to 8 hours or so...but who's counting. LOL) have my wired desktop, and 2 wireless laptops working on a secured network.:D:D:D

Thanks, everyone for your patience and suggestions. :flowers: Each suggestion help move me just a bit closer to my goal.

I learned a lot today, which is a good thing.

omni

Back
Top Bottom