Wrist Watches Obsolete?

My watched always seem to break on me so I gave up and just use my cell. Plus I think we have atleast 20 clocks in the house.

Cell phones are more discreet? If you look at your wristwatch, everyone knows you want to know what time it is, but when you take your cell phone out, obviously you were vibrated!:cool:

My collection of timeless timepieces, removed from the drawer for photographing...

DW is wearing the one on the upper right right now.

Good grief, what will they think of next. I can think of so many things that are more emblematic of "acting old," than wearing a watch.

But a perky behind is timeless...especially on guys, of any age, who take care of themselves...:smitten:
On the subject of perkiness, I wasn't thinking about a guy's behind...but sometimes you takes what you gets....:angel:

I do like to know what time it is but don't like to carry a cell phone so think I'll keep wearing a watch- I also like to jump in the pool throughout the day as I'm working in the yard and no worry with the watch, doubt the cell phone would last long.

Last edited:
I'm wearing a Seiko that my kids gave me about 20 years ago (probably cost about $20 at that time). I occasionally break the band and have a guy near-by that will charge 1$ cash to fix it.

That, and a new battery every 5-10 years, makes it part of me even tho time is not as important as it once was.:rolleyes:

I love the mechanicalness of watches made before the age of digitalness. I appreciate the beauty of the design the insides, the guts of the timepieces that were common before batteries ruined everything. Most of my watches were built between 50 and 150 years ago. It is a tribute to the quality of workmanship that they function just fine and keep accurate time, (plenty accurate enough in most cases, amazingly accurate in the case of the Railroad types) and please me with their outward ethstetic as well. They are another kind of investment account that likely as suffered along with the other markets recently, but you get to enjoy wearing them (I do) and they last pretty much forever. Someday I will weed out, thin the heard, whatever, down from about 200 ( a guess ) and keep the top 30 or 40 and maybe acquire a couple truly extra fine examples I've never been willing to spring for in the past. Currently my "modern" knock around is a Seiko Kinetic, still no battery, a selfwinder, although not traditional, it uses a capacitor, not a spring, to store energy, for up to a week of non-use. I just love watches, wristies especially, but Railroad Pockets half a place in history as well.

I still wear a watch but I don't look at it very often. I have clocks all over the house and carry a cell phone and I have a clock in the car. I just feel naked without it. The watch I have is one I bought with birthday money from my parents in 1980. It's a Seiko quartz analog with no numbers on it, just markings every 5 minutes.

I prefer an analog clock face, it just seems logical to me but I like the accuracy of digital. We have a couple of those atomic clocks that receive the time signal. They are all digital, but my favorite one also has a large analog clock face.

It's fairly obvious. I've had people ask me about it, so I doubt that an EMT or ER staff would miss it unless they are blind. There's a picture at this URL: ID Technology - The MediBand™ - lightweight medical alert ID watch accessory made in the USA. It's a LOT cheaper than the traditional medical alert bracelet.

As an ER doc I will tell you having looked at the picture it IS NOT as obvious as you think :nonono:. We always look for Medic Alert bracelets, we do NOT look at watches in the heat of battle...

Oh, and I still use a watch. With shift work and all I need something to tell me the time, date and day of the week or I would loose track...

DD

As an ER doc I will tell you having looked at the picture it IS NOT as obvious as you think :nonono:. We always look for Medic Alert bracelets, we do NOT look at watches in the heat of battle...
Hopefully whoever's wielding the cutting tool would notice before it got thrown in the bag...

Hopefully whoever's wielding the cutting tool would notice before it got thrown in the bag...

Unless the area around the wrist was injured the watch would remain until later when belongings area gathered up. By then it could be too late...

My usual routine is to glance at the wrists and inner elbows looking for a medic alert bracelet and for dialysis fistulas while dealing with the ABC's.

DD

A year or so ago I searched the 'net for a fancy digital watch. I am a small person and all the watches were too big for my wrist. Then I found one designed for a small wrist, and the $%^*&er was only in pink.

There's $100 I didn't spend.

A year or so ago I searched the 'net for a fancy digital watch. I am a small person and all the watches were too big for my wrist. Then I found one designed for a small wrist, and the $%^*&er was only in pink.

There's $100 I didn't spend.

Saved by the fashonistas- and just in time!

I love wrist watches as an accessory . I have everything from antique watches to fun watches but since I've retired I usually only wear them when travelling .

I always wear a watch. I can't read the time on my cellphone without my reading glasses, and I don't have them with me all the time. I also spend a lot of the summer in the mountains where we don't get cell service so if I'm in the boat or on a trail I need the watch.

I have several very expensive watches. I never wear them because I like my $20 Casio more. It provides all the info that I need and I can just throw it away when it quits working.

I wear a black $10 watch I bought at Walmart. No brand name shown on the face. But it was made in Japan.:D

Back
Top Bottom