Yakkers, et al

JWV

Recycles dryer sheets
Check this out [ftp]www.solomax.com[/ftp]
I'm not a kayaker but this is interesting.

Judy

Very interesting site. The fellow does not seem to be planning for early retirement but as he appears to live very cheaply I expect he could be financially independent already :D I have read books by and about several such adventurers and even met a fellow who kayaked from California to Hawaii. Always very introverted people as the trips were undertaken without advertising and often over the opposition of friends and family. Yes, the pictures of friends and natural locations look enticing but there are no photos of cold, dark and dangerous portions of the trip, sometimes with mind numbing hours of boredom and brief moments of terror.

Fortunately I enjoy my job and because I have saved enough I will be off shortly to Tahiti, a very pleasant place to kayak. I'll see if I can post a picture of kayaking in Rangiroa.

Check this out [ftp]www.solomax.com[/ftp]
I'm not a kayaker but this is interesting.Judy

I'll say it is interesting. I started reading his journal in Puget Sound, cause I am familiar with that part of the journey. I had to break for lunch just as he is ready to head out onto the open Pacific. I don't know how he could do it. There would be days with no possibility of landfall, and aside from the danger from shipping, being blown onto rocks, etc- how could he sleep?

I am very eager to read more. Great link, Judy!

Mikey

Even though I can count the number of times I've been on a boat on both hands (don't even have to take off my shoes!) I also enjoyed the book *Dove* about Robin Graham's solo sailing journey around the world. The parts I fiound really fascinating were being stuck in the doldrums(that word takes on a whole new meaning) ALONE. How does a person do it?

Happy water adventures,
Judy

I'll tell you Judy; I've been in lots of situations where
being in the doldrums ALONE seemed very appealing.
But, I've always enjoyed my own company.
Self-entertaining I like to call it.

John Galt

When I was younger I really needed an audience. But over the years I've learned to appreciate opportunities for extended solitude too.

:)

Back
Top Bottom