Yerba Mate - Anyone here a fan?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I drink it quite a bit, but have noticed recently that I dont get the same 'pick me up' i did the first time I drank it. just curious if anyone else drinks it

I tried a box (20 bags), thought it was good but nothing special. Went back to varieties of green teas. Like a lot things, tea is a personal choice I'd think...

I haven't had the loose stuff from a bombilla Argentina/Uruguay style, but they had yerba mate tea bags at a continental breakfast when we were in Buenos Aires. I had a few cups of yerba mate from the tea bags (cruz verde brand??). Not bad, but just tastes like green tea to me (which I like). I believe they sell them here in the states at Walmart and the like (at least at mine which has a very large hispanic - though not likely South American - patronage).

When I lived in Brazil, I had some gaucho friends from down south who introduced me to the real thing, drunk from a gourd with a strainer/straw. It kind of grows on you, and I got to enjoy the flavor.

Remarkably, when I was at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver this year, I found a brewery making yerba mate flavored beer. Much to my surprise, it not only had the authentic flavor (very subtle, but recognizable), but it was also good beer. Try it if you can find it.

MateVeza Yerba Mate Ale » Mate + Cerveza = MateVeza

I've never had it but have one of the gourds and metal straws in my kitchen, I'm using it as a pen holder. Years ago I went to Uruguay for work and it seemed like every other person was walking around drinking the stuff.

I drink it from time to time. It tastes a little like hot water filtered through cigarette ashes and grass clippings.

Oh, yeah. It has been reported that chronic exposure may be carcinogenic.

But it grows on you.

Back
Top Bottom