anyone buy a new washer/dryer recently?

Earl E Retyre

Full time employment: Posting here.
I was curious if anyone has bought a new top-load washer & dryer in the past couple years that you would recommend? Just about every review, regardless of brand, has major complaints. So figured I would see if anyone is happy with a recent purchase?

Have you checked Consumer Reports? When I am shopping major appliances or cars I usually sign up on line, get my info, then cancel the membership. IIRC a month's membership was around $10 +/-.

We have a top load, LG high efficiency smart drum, direct drive washer. We have had it for about 6 years. Never an issue. It weighs the load to determine how much water to use so it’s pretty efficient. We have an LG dryer too.
The washer replaced a Samsung that gave us nothing but problems and eventually blew a water pump and flooded our laundry room. Samsung gave us $50 because they no longer made replacement parts. It was less than two years old. I cannot recommend Samsung as a company or its products.

Thanks, good to know. The Lowes sales person recommended LG as well.

Our 15 year old Maytag Bravos top loader recently stopped working. I figured after 15 years the repair cost could be used instead for a new washer. We also did not want to be without a washer for a week or more while getting it fixed. We recently purchased an LG top loader based on this YouTuber:

https://youtu.be/jmtLeB4ZplU?si=NSmJZKDTIi7wepqY

The LG washers are highly rated and are easily found at the big box stores. Lowe’s had the best deal at the time. We had the washer delivered and installed within 3 days and the old one hauled away. We’ll be pleased if the LG lasts 15 years:)

Have you checked Consumer Reports? When I am shopping major appliances or cars I usually sign up on line, get my info, then cancel the membership. IIRC a month's membership was around $10 +/-.

My library lets me access CR for free on their website. Easier than sign up and cancel if that is available to your.

We also have LG direct drive HE top load washer and dryer.
Big drum, does large loads no problem, weighs and balances the load.
Have had no issues with either one and got them from HD on sale in 2017.

Did have to have plumbers come out and redo the whole drain/water valves, etc because our 60+ home could not handle the drain pressure--the water kept flowing back and the drain hose would fly out! Has worked beautifully ever since.

I was able to get the info from the local library... they have physical copies and some of them online...

I went with front loader as they wash better with the reviews that I read...

I have 2 sisters with top loaders and both have problems... one says she always have to put extra water in the machine as it would not cover her whole load by itself... forget what my other sister complained about...

I was able to get the info from the local library... they have physical copies and some of them online...

I went with front loader as they wash better with the reviews that I read...

I have 2 sisters with top loaders and both have problems... one says she always have to put extra water in the machine as it would not cover her whole load by itself... forget what my other sister complained about...
We had issues with smells from front loaders. Water got trapped in the rubber gaskets and gave off a bad smell between loads. They look cool though. I wish our experience was different.

We bought a low-end GE Hotpoint washer from Home Depot back in January. So far so good. It does do a good job of washing, but we have very normal loads and nothing that requires bleach. It is fine for just the two of us, we do maybe 2-3 small-medium loads a week. If we still have a houseful of kids we would have looked for something more high-end.

It replaced a 22+ year old Sears Kenmore washing machine, so by comparison its basic features are still ahead of that older washing machine. We will have to see about longevity :).

We are still using our 22+ year old Sears Kenmore dryer. It still works well. The only problem over the years was the dryer door actuator switch broke, but that was just a $10 part and a simple DIY repair.

We have an LG top loader that we bought about 6 or 7 years ago. It replaced an "exploding" Samsung top loader that had a defective design within the balancing system. Without an impeller, these HE top loaders can do bulky items really well. We do comforters with no problem. LG models top Consumer Reports ratings for both HE top loaders and front loaders.

We bought a low-end GE Hotpoint washer from Home Depot back in January. So far so good. It does do a good job of washing, but we have very normal loads and nothing that requires bleach. It is fine for just the two of us, we do maybe 2-3 small-medium loads a week. If we still have a houseful of kids we would have looked for something more high-end.

Same here, but we also bought the matching gas dryer. We bought on sale around fathers day this year.

They're having a black friday sale. If you open a credit card you get more $$ off. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-4-5-...p-Fill-in-White-GTW465ASNWW/308653940#overlay

So far so good. I'm not sure it would have worked when we had a house full of kids and pets. Maybe it would have, just would have done more loads. But it works for just the 2 of us fine.

When we had a full house we had a very large top load LG with no middle agitator. It was great. But since we didn't need such a large washer anymore we decided to go with a small, and much more affordable washer/dryer set.

Bought a new speed queen washer and dryer from a family owned appliance center in my town mid 2022.

Was told SQ is the best. I hope they are because I paid a pretty price.

Was also influenced by the fact that they are made in Wisconsin.
Time will tell if it was worth the price.

A bit of a hack but if you ask Bard what is best by Consumer Reports it gives you results, no subscription required.

What are the top 5 most highly rated top-load clothes washers by Consumer Reports?

According to Consumer Reports' 2023 ratings, the top 5 most highly rated top-load clothes washers are:

GE GTW485HTBDR: This washer has an overall score of 85, with excellent ratings for cleaning, drying, and energy efficiency. It also has a large capacity and a variety of features, including a built-in detergent dispenser and a steam cycle.
GE GTW485HTBDR topload clothes washerOpens in a new window
www.lowes.com
GE GTW485HTBDR topload clothes washer

LG WT7501CV: This washer has an overall score of 84, with excellent ratings for cleaning and drying. It also has a large capacity and a variety of features, including a built-in detergent dispenser and a TurboWash cycle that can wash a load in less than 30 minutes.
LG WT7501CV topload clothes washerOpens in a new window
www.lg.com
LG WT7501CV topload clothes washer

Samsung WA54R5Z7606W: This washer has an overall score of 83, with excellent ratings for cleaning and energy efficiency. It also has a large capacity and a variety of features, including a built-in detergent dispenser and a Self Clean cycle that helps keep the washer clean.
Samsung WA54R5Z7606W topload clothes washerOpens in a new window
www.bestbuy.com
Samsung WA54R5Z7606W topload clothes washer

Whirlpool WTW5503VB: This washer has an overall score of 82, with excellent ratings for cleaning and drying. It also has a large capacity and a variety of features, including a built-in detergent dispenser and a Fabric Fresh cycle that helps remove odors from clothes.
Whirlpool WTW5503VB topload clothes washerOpens in a new window
www.homedepot.com
Whirlpool WTW5503VB topload clothes washer

Maytag MVWB765FW: This washer has an overall score of 81, with excellent ratings for cleaning and energy efficiency. It also has a large capacity and a variety of features, including a built-in detergent dispenser and a PowerBlast Cycle that helps remove tough stains.
Maytag MVWB765FW topload clothes washerOpens in a new window
www.bestbuy.com
Maytag MVWB765FW topload clothes washer

We just purchased a frigidaire top load washier, front load dryer stacked unit.

we purchased a whirlpool, and we'd give it a 4 out of 5. It has been good overall but requires an additional spin now and then.
it is as if the sensor does not sense.

I was curious if anyone has bought a new top-load washer & dryer in the past couple years that you would recommend? Just about every review, regardless of brand, has major complaints. So figured I would see if anyone is happy with a recent purchase?

Yup. Without doubt or reservation…Speed Queen. Why? Huge capacity, no unnecessary fabric selections, no micro processor and very few moving parts. Might be hard to find but tough to beat.

I bought a Magic Chef and it’s been great. My kids had one and were happy with it.

We had issues with smells from front loaders. Water got trapped in the rubber gaskets and gave off a bad smell between loads. They look cool though. I wish our experience was different.

We leave the door open a bit so it dries out... sometimes the DW will wipe it off...

We had our old one for 15 years and no bad smells... current one is only a few months but so far nothing...

As always, YMMV...

I bought an inexpensive GE top loader maybe 6 months ago. It has manually adjustable water levels, which is why I bought it. The electronics are garbage. Basically, you set the buttons and pray. On several occasions, it has locked the lid and quit working. Waiting 30 minutes and playing with the controls has worked so far.

I kept the Whirlpool which is 25 plus years old, because I feared problems. If I get too annoyed at the GE POS, I will put the Whirlpool back in service.

Buy an older used model or fix the one you have is my advice...

Bought a new speed queen washer and dryer from a family owned appliance center in my town mid 2022.

Was told SQ is the best. I hope they are because I paid a pretty price.

Was also influenced by the fact that they are made in Wisconsin.
Time will tell if it was worth the price.

We also have a Speed Queen set bought in about 2018. We have been very happy with them so far.

If I need another washer, it will be a used 25 year old Maytag (built before Whirlpool bought Maytag and cheapened everything up) that's built to last and easy to fix.

Last edited:
We also bought a low end GE top loader a couple of years ago and have been pleased with it. It replaced the previous GE top loader that lasted about 12 years. It is just the 2 of us and we don't wash heavy loads or bulky materials. I also don't intend to buy a lot of "whistles and bells" that just jack up the cost, are more things to break, and are nothing that we need. Now if I could just buy a new car that has the simplicity of those of the 60s that were easy to maintain and fix.

Cheers!

Tip for front load clothes washers. We bought one several years ago and were warned about mold, etc.. We found that after it's empty, we leave the door open and pull out the tray that holds the detergent. That allows everything to dry out before next use. Of course, you need enough room to where it sits to be able to do that.

Back
Top Bottom