You *might* be a cheapskate if ...

I don't do this, but I did know a lady who wold compulsively steal all of the sweetener packets off the table, even the ones she wouldn't ever use.

I don't squeeze the ketchup packs into the bottle... that's because I'm lazy AND a cheapskate. We have a cup in our fridge that has ketchup/mustard/soy sauce/wasabi mustard/etc.... It doesn't get tossed, it gets stashed for use later... We have hamburgers fairly often in our house - only one son uses ketchup - he tends to grab the freeby packs rather than the ketchup bottle.

I don't do this, but I did know a lady who wold compulsively steal all of the sweetener packets off the table, even the ones she wouldn't ever use.

That's why when I travel to Florida I always have to ask for sweetener. Beyond that they specifically ask how many do you need, not how many do you want. I have to agree that us old people are an embarrassment sometimes.

There's a little bit of deodorant in the bottom of the tube that's designed to hold the stick in place. They say that bit is designed for that purpose, and the weight of the container is without that little bit.

If you pry that bit out of the tube, it will last for a month or more. (I know.)

Can you ever be sure the toothpaste tube is REALLY empty without cutting it open and getting the last bit from under the "nozzle"?

And another thing--does anyone brush with the amount of toothpaste they show on the commercials? (Full width and length of the brush and then folded back on itself)

And another thing--does anyone brush with the amount of toothpaste they show on the commercials? (Full width and length of the brush and then folded back on itself)

Or use a big handlful of shaving cream like the commercials show?

One of the biggest fights DH and I had was when we were moving and he threw out my drawer of hotel soaps.

Hey, that's where all my soap and shampoo comes from! Haven't paid for any in ages.

I also got annoyed at the cost of brand-name razor cartridges and the fact that the available genetics kept changing, so never fit the same razor twice. Now I shave my legs and underarms with just the cartridge-and a very steady hand.

One of the biggest fights DH and I had was when we were moving and he threw out my drawer of hotel soaps.

My wife does the same and had a drawer full that I used to threaten to throw out, jokingly. But after hurricane Katrina when our local university was being used as a triage center she donated a garbage bag full of them. They are the perfect size for someone to use for a couple days when they have nothing. They were very much appreciated.

You know you're a cheapskate if you find yourself still using products with expiration dates during the last century.

You know you're a cheapskate if you find yourself taking notes while reading this thread.

Just got called Ebenezer by my staff today as I told them to turn off the light when they weren't in their office. I agreed, and told them it was fundraising season for our small nonprofit. Money saved=money earned.

My father's day gift from DW and DS a number of years ago... our "redneck" firepit... a tub from a dead laundry washer welded to an old steel wheel. When DW took the two to the welding guy he was so tickled with the idea that he didn't charge her for the welding! My neighbor has the deluxe version that has rebar handles welded to the top of the drum.

Attachments

• Redneck firepit.jpg
    Redneck firepit.jpg
    850.6 KB · Views: 40
Too cheap for toothpaste here. Water does fine.

I do that. Can't stand to leave anything in any container, if it's feasible to extract it. Then, naturally, I look for ways to re-use the container.

But even cheaper: I got fed up with the deodorant leaving stains on my good dresses. Very expensive (and usually futile) to dry clean. So when we go out, I take a shower, and then use rubbing alcohol under the arms, instead of deodorant. Works fine for the 4-5 hours we are out; leaves no stain or odor. Wouldn't be sufficient protection for an outdoor event in the summer, though :LOL:

Amethyst

There's a little bit of deodorant in the bottom of the tube that's designed to hold the stick in place. They say that bit is designed for that purpose, and the weight of the container is without that little bit.

If you pry that bit out of the tube, it will last for a month or more. (I know.)

When in a fast food restaurant, I have been known to take more napkins than I need and instead of throwing the extras away, just taking them with me.

When in a fast food restaurant, I have been known to take more napkins than I need and instead of throwing the extras away, just taking them with me.

We do that too. Have a giant wad of them in the car for eating on the road, picnics or cleaning the car.

Also, I'm surprised that Chipotle is still in business because I admit to a weakness for their "plastic" cutlery. :LOL: Well made and strong and we keep a few full sets in the car.

When I travelled for w*rk I always took the extra roll of TP in the room....and I too grab handfulls of napkins and save them....

I save even small portions of leftovers for lunch the next day. Once I realized that frozen dinners have so little quantity in them for the amount you pay, I stopped tossing perfectly good small amounts of leftovers.

I cut up old kitchen towels into 5" squares and use one under my multiple cups of coffee in the morning, in place of paper napkins to catch drips. When I return to the kitchen for more coffee, I rinse it out and reuse it, then they go in with the rest of the wash....

I live alone, and in the winter I hang all clothes up to dry on the doorframes....releases moisture into the air as well..they dry super fast so you can imagine how dry the air is....I also dry all socks on my one cast-iron radiator.

I make orange juice from concentrate....after I discovered a LOT of the name brand juice is just that, but they charge three times as much!!! I like a half glass first thing to get that sugar jolt......

I have two cats...use the foil lined bags from thier dry food for collecting their waste. Don't leak or release smells. ALso found that Aldi's clumping litter is a fraction of what the other brands/stores charge and works as well.

I try things at Aldi before I make a judgement. In the years I've shopped there, I did not like their jarred red cabbage or liquid dish soap, otherwise I save a small fortune shopping there.

DOuble bag my groceries with store plastic bags, then use them for garbage each day. End of day that small bag gets tied off and placed in one large g-bag for later collection. Only need one large plastic bag a week!!!

The usual.. hang clothes on the line to dry, wash my own car (except in freezing winter-then run it thru the wash once a month....it pays to keep up with keeping it clean..

Yes I am cheap but I don't care!

Thanks for the tips.

I leave my shaving cartridge in olive oil. It is the corrosion that attacks the cutting surface. It lasts forever.
My bathroom handsoap in always from hotels, sometimes 2 stuck together.

I keep hotel shampoo for overnight trips where there might not be adequate shampoo. Sometimes those plastic packets like ketchup that are impossible to open with wet hands. I will refill the better bottles from my giant Costco shampoo bottle. (Don't travel to hotels much anymore.)

Use paper towels in place of paper napkins, folded.

Always buy a liquor brand when they offer extra one-shot bottles. Keep them for traveling or company.

Use duct tape inside dress shoes that have developed small holes. (Does not work in Vancouver but fine in dry places.)

Save plastic shopping bags for garbage can liners. Not many any more because of recycled cloth bags.

Save newspapers (few now) for use with Windex or other mix to clean glass.

Stuff steel wool into rusted out burner in BBQ to get more life from it.

Use WD40 to clean various stubborn things.

Save spare screws, bolts, nuts and washers from products that supply spares.

Use small nails to secure picture hangers that have gotten loose.

(Habits developed over 40 years ago.)

I do that. Can't stand to leave anything in any container, if it's feasible to extract it. Then, naturally, I look for ways to re-use the container.

Yep. If it's shampoo, salad dressing or detergent, throw in some water, shake, and pour out the last of it and use it.

As for containers-DH and I have a lovely matched set of re-purposed Costco mixed nut jars with lids; they're great as critter-proof canisters.

You guys are still shaving? Mountain man look is free! Unless you're spending money on shampoo for your beard...

I don't squeeze the ketchup packs into the bottle... that's because I'm lazy AND a cheapskate. We have a cup in our fridge that has ketchup/mustard/soy sauce/wasabi mustard/etc.... It doesn't get tossed, it gets stashed for use later...

The first time I read this I pictured the cup with five things mixed together - sort of a brown color and ready to spread... <cough>

You might be a cheapskate if you wear the same underwear three days in a row and then turn it inside out and wear it three more days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom