Your oldest device or gadget

My slide rule, which I got in 1966 when I started college. The (lesser) one that I bought in 1960 has somehow vanished after the passage of time.

I still have my 1962 model from high school. Anyone got an older one?

My slide rule, which I got in 1966 when I started college. The (lesser) one that I bought in 1960 has somehow vanished after the passage of time.
I would be happy to send you my K & E log log duplex decitrig I bought in 1954

I still have my 1962 model from high school. Anyone got an older one?

I started HS the same year (though, technically, it was still Jr. High for 9th grade.) BUT my Keuffel & Esser was (quite) used by then so I'm sure I've got you beat.:cool:

I looked like the dweeb of geeky nerds, walking down the halls with that thing sticking out of my pocket. I still have it in storage someplace. Not sure why. They don't bring much on eBay I don't think, but YMMV.

I started HS the same year (though, technically, it was still Jr. High for 9th grade.) BUT my Keuffel & Esser was (quite) used by then so I'm sure I've got you beat.:cool:

Maybe not. Although I've had my K&E slipstick since 62, it was far from new at the time. Much too expensive for the likes of me back then, with the leather case and all. Someone left it on the bus seat and I just picked it up. I've treasured it ever since, and gave it a pretty good workout back in the day.

An Amiga 1000 computer from ca 1985. I had it out of it's box 2 years ago and it was still working. Running Workbench 1.2 if I remember correctly. But had to put it back into the box since I have no room for it on my desk.

Sony clock radio. Purchased in 1978.

Is this one of those cube-shaped Sony Dream Machines? I know they still exist today, but I recall those cubes were pretty new when my uncle (who owned an electronics store back then) gave me as a gift back in 1981 before I went off to college. I still own mine although the radio part stopped working well about 15 years ago (and almost making me late for work).

Maybe not. Although I've had my K&E slipstick since 62, it was far from new at the time. Much too expensive for the likes of me back then, with the leather case and all. Someone left it on the bus seat and I just picked it up. I've treasured it ever since, and gave it a pretty good workout back in the day.

Yep, yours must be older 'cause mine only had a clear plastic case. I eventually got a 6 inch in a leather case for use in University. Worked for everything but tests where I used the old K&E for a bit better precision. YMMV

I have and use my grandfather's Shopsmith Mark V from the 1950's.

1947 K&E slide rule
1960s timing light and dwell meter
1970s HP-45, HP-41C calculators

just realized that our only actually kinda old gadget is a hand-held luggage scale, indispensable with discount, nickle-and-dime airlines. Pretty sure we picked that up in 2007 or so. Otherwise, all less than five years.

Also, just realized that I *ALREADY POSTED THIS* back in June LOL :facepalm:

Last edited:
Reading thru this thread makes me feel like my house is stuffed with old items.

Am I the only one?

Reading thru this thread makes me feel like my house is stuffed with old items.

Am I the only one?

I get that feeling too, mainly regarding electronics (no audiophiles in our house :LOL:):

• Philips CD changer, c. 1995
  • Denon amp, also c. 1995
  • 1st generation iPod shuffle, 2005 (I had a 2nd gen. shuffle, but lost it recently)
  • Still using the original stereo in my 2002 Subaru
  • Samsung T-139 flip-phone, c. 2009 (not exactly vintage, but old enough to be...quaint?)

The grey matter in my head, made 1947:D

The grey matter in my head, made 1947:D

I used to have some of that - now, not so sure.

I did think of an older gadget than mentioned above. Back on the mainland, I still have a J. C. Higgins single shot .22 cal rifle. It cost $11.88 at Sears and Roebuck (remember them?) CA. 1956. I learned to shoot with it.

When DW and I moved to the "country" in the early '70s, we had problems with the local animals digging up the yard. DW had never fired a firearm before. She saw a groundhog tearing up the lawn. She found my trusty .22, opened the bolt, slid a cartridge into the receiver and pointed it at the critter in the yard. Pulling the trigger, nothing happened. This single shot need to be manually cocked (that was in lieu of a 'safety'). The critter dutiful stopped what he was doing, 'stood' up and waited. DW finally figured out how to cock the rifle. I'll stop there, but you can guess the rest since I started calling DW Annie Oakley for a week. YMMV

I have my grandfather's "long tom" single shot 12 gauge shotgun, manufactured prior to WWI. Been years since I've shot it - the recoil is brutal!

1947 K&E slide rule
1960s timing light and dwell meter
1970s HP-45, HP-41C calculators

I just realized that I still have a Revox A77 tape recorder from the 60s. Also have a morse code key that belonged to DW's father, it is pretty old, but cannot date it.

I still use my favorite hair dryer daily. It is a Braun purchased in 1985.

I have no idea how old these planes are. But I'm fairly certain that they are older than anything else that I use.

Attachments

• old planes.jpg
    old planes.jpg
    648.4 KB · Views: 20
My grandmother kept flour in this jar but I don't know the age. It's probably about a gallon. I can't find mason jars for their normal price so I may paint over the lid because of possible lead and make some kind of liner for the inside of the lid and use it. Oh, it's not exactly a gadget but mason jars have been on my mind for a while now because of my new online buying habits. I'm not using it for preserving, just for storing rice, beans, flour, and pasta.

Attachments

• jar-top.jpg
    jar-top.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 22
  • jar-ruler.jpg
    jar-ruler.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 22
  • jar-bottom.jpg
    jar-bottom.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
My grandmother kept flour in this jar but I don't know the age. It's probably about a gallon. I can't find mason jars for their normal price so I may paint over the lid because of possible lead and make some kind of liner for the inside of the lid and use it.

Have you looked for mason jars in thrift stores? I see them there priced from $0.25 to $0.50 or so without lids. Hit senior discount day, and the deal is even better.

Stereo system from 1990. Bought with wedding money. Using VCR inputs for Bluetooth and TV surround speakers. Big Bose speakers 4 feet tall still cranking out the jams! Kids in awe but jealous. Size matters!

Back
Top Bottom