Your Opinion on a Neighbor Issues

So, maybe my continuous giving back my neighbors cat poop has helped, and the sprinkler guy does care the way it looks. Any way so far.

Hey, it's his cats' poop. You're just returning it to it's rightful owners. If I lost something over a neighbor's fence, I'd want it back. You're just being a good neighbor :D

Major Tom >>>> Right!! If he would question me about it, that will be a good come back for him. Lol

That's a good point. I currently have just the one (indoor) cat. I don't think she's too bothered by seeing other cats outside. However, if she was, I'd take humane steps to discourage them - many good ones have been mentioned in this thread. My kitty is my #1 priority, and there are kind ways to keep other cats away. Some folk seem to think it's OK to take extreme and cruel measures to keep cats away. I have no tolerance for that line of thinking, and no time for those types of people.

I'm a cat person myself :) Yeah, I'm sure there are tons of different humane ways to deter cats. :flowers:

Last edited:
I like cats and gave no problem with them or in the yard except for the poop. That actually has improved also in the last week. I never had to clean one thing so far this week.

So, maybe my continuous giving back my neighbors cat poop has helped, and the sprinkler guy does care the way it looks. Any way so far.

Ah... I'm not sure how giving back the cat poop would help though (unless your neighbour is no longer letting their cats out, which would be difficult to do if the cats are indoor/outdoor cats.) Cats will poop wherever they feel like pooping if they're out... Or... Do you think your neighbour climbed over your fence and cleaned up the cats' poop? :LOL:

Has it been raining? Cats don't like to walk outside much if it's been raining and the grass is wet...

Got home late this afternoon and I believe the sprinkler guy had someone work on the one head. I was a different head that was very low to the grass, and was a huge improvement. I know someone did something there any way.

I like cats and gave no problem with them or in the yard except for the poop. That actually has improved also in the last week. I never had to clean one thing so far this week.

Can't stop it all but I think they are actually wanting to help take care of the issues.

Great that it seems to be getting fixed..... Maybe they are on this site too :LOL:

My sympathies for your neighbor stress. Throwing the poop back over the fence is the right thing to do, I think. Glad to hear the water thing might be working out. I'm surprised there are so many outdoor cats. I think that's a good thing. I used to see them around here, and I talked nicely to them if they came onto my property. I was hoping they were looking for voles.

My sympathies for your neighbor stress. Throwing the poop back over the fence is the right thing to do, I think. Glad to hear the water thing might be working out. I'm surprised there are so many outdoor cats. I think that's a good thing. I used to see them around here, and I talked nicely to them if they came onto my property. I was hoping they were looking for voles.

I've got a few large snakes on my property that my wife doesn't love. They showed up last year. Our chipmunk problem (extensively burrowed under my concrete driveway until it collapsed down about four inches creating a mega crack in the middle of it...) has magically disappeared. Needless to say, I'm as pleased as can be the snakes showed up. :LOL:

Are you sure it's cat poop and not possibly other critters at night? I have 3 to 5 feral cats that hang out in my yard and you'd never know it from poop. I mean sure they do find a sandy patch and dig and use that here and there, or maybe in the main flower beds - but I'd never see it or know about it. Cats bury their stuff. I have tons of potted plants too and I've never even seen them show interest.

They do leave dead voles and mice around on occasion. But I also know there are squirrels, possum and racoons, as well as iguanas that visit (ok you wouldn't have those last ones where you live).

Now my front yard? I'm on a corner lot and despite the rules about picking up poop I regularly find dog poop front yard/swale.

The cat problem doesn't always go away, when you move out to a rural area. Although I have to admit, I might be part of the problem! When I moved, there were two semi-feral cats that hung around outside. I had been able to catch them, had them fixed, and then released them. When I moved a few years ago, one of them had gotten tame enough, that I was able to just pick her up, and put her in a cat carrier, and bring her over to the new place.

Of course, she freaked out in the carrier. And, I guess I should have read up on how to acclimate a feral cat to new surroundings. Stupid me, I just opened the cat carrier up. Cat came out, looked disoriented, and ran around in front of the house, out towards the road. But then, she stopped, looked around again, ran back towards the far side of the house. And then, ran back into the woods. And I thought she was gone forever.

The other cat wasn't as friendly. Some neighbors at the old place trapped him for me, but told me how to acclimate a feral cat to its new surroundings. So, when I got this one home, I locked him out in a shed, with food, water, a litter box, and some bedding. I'd go in every day to check on him. After about two weeks, I left the door to the shed open. I also left food out by the back door. He hung around, although tended to remain skittish. And oddly, soon after that, the first cat came back around.

Every morning, these two cats will come by, and wait to be fed. Then they'll go off and do their thing, but I usually see them in the yard, or in the woods behind the house, so they don't go far. There's another shed at the edge of the woods, that's raised up, and they go under there to sleep and get out of the weather.

Sometimes I've wondered, if these two wander very far, and if they annoy the neighbors any. But, out here I'm on 6.5 acres, and my property backs up to a park. All the other homes are on large lots, as well.

There is an orange cat that comes over, often in the afternoons, and especially if I'm out in the yard. He's ultra friendly, so obviously not a stray, and someone's pet. Every once in awhile, there's also been a black cat that shows up at night on the surveillance camera feeds, although we have a few raccoons and opossums that trip the sensor on occasion, as well.

But, if nothing else, seeing the other two cats around makes me feel better that I'm not the only one contributing to potential feline delinquency around here. I do have one other car, looks Siamese, but is really a "mutt"...and related to the two ferals. We'd had a cat colony in the old neighborhood. We tried to rescue as many as we could, but some went to animal control, and every once in awhile, one got hit by a car.

Anyway, the Siamese "mutt" is purely in an indoor cat.

Sounds like the new sprinkler head may fix the problem, that was going to be my suggestion. A sprinkler head that is a rotating stream vs spray. The stream won't be as affected by the wind and is also easier to see and adjust correctly for the area.

As for the cats, that is tough since cats will go over a fence and do not have that border sense like dogs do. If you do not have a dog to discourage the cats, the motion water spray seems a good choice. Most cats are pretty quick learners.

As a cat person (though these days I instead have the best doggo in the universe) I think the motion activated sprinkler is a really good option. Do not take the advice of any of the people here that are advocating harming the animal.

As a cat person (though these days I instead have the best doggo in the universe) I think the motion activated sprinkler is a really good option. Do not take the advice of any of the people here that are advocating harming the animal.
+1 Cats hate water.

Like 40+ years ago I was mad at our neighbors who always let their cat out, it was at our window upsetting our cat. I'd frequently seen it on their patio, when I talked to them they insisted their cat never left.

About 5AM I saw that cat [emoji250]outside our house and walked over and picked it up. I was going to show the neighbors where their cat was. Imagine my surprise when that cat bit the living crap out of me and took off in the opposite direction.

After a long day at the ER and wondering about rabies shots the culprit was found. It belonged to another person way away and it had its rabies shots. Me and my 8 stitches were just fine, absolutely fine.

As I was taught from childhood, never attempt to grab, let alone pick up, a cat who doesn't know you well. They hate it just as much as you would, if a stranger picked you up off the ground (that's literally how it was explained to little me!)

It is not that common for a cat to bite people (they prefer to scratch in self-defense, and that's no joke either), but when they're really scared they'll use anything they've got to get away. A declawed cat will bite more than one with claws.

Everyone's suggestions about cold water are spot on. Like people, cats dislike an unexpected cold outdoor shower. (I'm not so sure about dogs - I think they like getting wet).

About 5AM I saw that cat [emoji250]outside our house and walked over and picked it up. I was going to show the neighbors where their cat was. Imagine my surprise when that cat bit the living crap out of me and took off in the opposite direction.

After a long day at the ER and wondering about rabies shots the culprit was found. It belonged to another person way away and it had its rabies shots. Me and my 8 stitches were just fine, absolutely fine.

Things have been good. I don't see the cay around now at all and maybe they are keeping inside more or something. I would see it all the time and yes, it was their cat I have it on camera a lot doing what it does in the yard, garden flower plot, flower beds etc..

Chicken wire, someone mentioned this earlier and it does work. You don't have to bury it just lay it over the gravel. https://www.instructables.com/Anti-Cat-Poop-Garden/

You can also wrap chicken wire around the planters.
Regarding the water sprinkler, if the adjustment doesn't work, buy cheap dark material and staple it to long stakes that you drive into the ground. You and your neighbor will be able to see if the water is still hitting in your yard. If the water still hits, put up a sign that reads "Joe, Just wanted to let you see that the water is still coming over here. If I can help you adjust the sprinkler let me know.".

Sounds like he knows there is a problem, now the 2 x 4 to get his attention.
Get a couple of stakes and a piece of aluminum flashing 12" x 12". Nail the flashing to the stakes, one on each side. This is a deflector, drive the deflector stakes into the ground about a foot from the sprinkler, between it and the house. Yes, it is on his property, but it stops the water from going onto you property. If he asks, tell him, yes, the deflector work,s it will be fine until you have time to get a proper sprinkler head installed.

They sell a shakeable pellet style cat deterrent that makes areas less desirable to cats. You do have to reapply after rain though. Alas I have an indoor outdoor cat that we really try to keep from doing anything to bug our neighbors. She's such a little turd though she asks to come inside to use her litter box (eyeroll). You can pee under the bushes baby girl. It won't hurt you.

I also considered suggestint installing a traditional above ground yard sprinkler on a hose thats really intentionally obvious and just setting it to aim at that neighbors house. Could put on a timer matching his sprinklers. Maybe he would get the message? Then again maybe he wouldn't.

I agree maybe he has no idea how to fix. Offer to fix it. Agree in texas I think its technically trespassing. I don't think it can hit the sidewalk or road either. Unsure.

Everyone's suggestions about cold water are spot on. Like people, cats dislike an unexpected cold outdoor shower. (I'm not so sure about dogs - I think they like getting wet).

My experience with the majority of dogs I have encountered is, if you (gently, like a sprinkler) spray them with water they want to become your best friend :).

Thanks and some great advise!!

Living in town is a pain for me but my wife is a town type person.

I dislike town living but I'm here. I would give anything to live at the ranch fulltime but my wife doesn't care for that.

I really don't care for town living but it is what it is.

Hint: Spend more time at the ranch.
Four pages in, and so far only one reply addresses the core issue. This is not a neighbor problem. It's a marriage problem. Time to compromise. Either you guys find a place where both are happy, or you take off and live at the ranch. You could visit each other anytime. Plenty of couples live happily in separate places, for the sake of each other's sanity. This is real love -- acting in each other's best interests. If living apart is worse than living together in a place where one of you is miserable, then you guys have more work to do. You can't have it both ways. Leave the cats and the sprinklers alone (they come with town living) and think about the core issue.

Neighborhood cats use our side yard as a potty. It’s no big deal and I pick it up and throw it away when I pick up my doggie’s poop. In the past I have had a few truly bad neighbors and these 2 issues are indeed no big deal and small.

People need to keep their cats indoors or put them on a leash! Yes- they can learn to be leashed! No one has the right to have their pet ruin someone else’s property. Tell them.

The sprinkler- talk to the neighbor again.

And no- lawns don’t have to be watered if that means infringing on a neighbors property. Tell the neighbor to hand water that side of the house. If water is hitting someone else’s house it is outright rude.

BTW- lawns are water wasters.

If he doesn’t stop I would have no problem getting a blower and blowing debri from my lawn onto his. Two can play at that game.

If he doesn’t stop I would have no problem getting a blower and blowing debri from my lawn onto his. Two can play at that game.

which is exactly how these disputes begin to escalate into violence. i have seen it happen several times during my career.

Back
Top Bottom