Yup, I got Ripped Off Again

... He said you wont see much growth this year, but next spring you will. ...

Fall is usually the recommended time to seed in climates like ours. Grass gets a start, goes dormant in winter, and gets a great start in the early spring and is ready for summer heat.

The grass will still be those thin/delicate blades by winter, probably won't look full and lush, but it should be thick enough for winter. I think they also recc to let it grow long before cutting it the first few times, I don't think the delicate blades can take cutting, they get pulled out by the roots?

-ERD50

If you're not happy with the outcome tell the DEC and local equivalent that they need watching.
Heck, since they may be poisoning you and your neighbors you should call even after they make you whole. I stopped using weed n feed on the backyard as I don't want my dog lying on chemicals. Use it rarely on the front yard.

Maybe it's time for [-]astroturf[/-] astroglide.

Fixed it for you :angel:

In all seriousness I'm reading this with interest because my grass is also dead due to hot summer here and water restrictions. I'm wondering what's the best way to bring it back to life.

In all seriousness I'm reading this with interest because my grass is also dead due to hot summer here and water restrictions. I'm wondering what's the best way to bring it back to life.

My next door neighbor (a widow) got tired of screwing with grass, high water bills and treatment companies. Her front lawn is taken care of by the HOA but the back is not and that's where the problems were (shade trees, moles, weeds, infestations). I casually recommended a synthetic lawn (kidding) and she took me up on it. It's beautiful (but not big, maybe 500 sq. ft.) and is easy to maintain.

BCG: Go for the synthetic lawn!

BCG: Go for the synthetic lawn!
We tried!
I told the builder that I wanted Beautiful interlocking pavers, in the front and back. He then informed me the architect said that in my zoning Im mandated to have a certain amount of greenery. I guess so all the local dogs have a nice spot to hang out on. I think the restriction was really just for the front lawn. Anyhow we moved in late October 2010 and had the lawn installed may 2011.

If you're not happy with the outcome tell the DEC and local equivalent that they need watching.
Heck, since they may be poisoning you and your neighbors you should call even after they make you whole. I stopped using weed n feed on the backyard as I don't want my dog lying on chemicals. Use it rarely on the front yard.

Im not entirely happy with the deal. I am willing to give it a try. If this turns into a complete flop I will call the company next year & cry to them. If they blow me off I will probably call DEP.

The color is important. Yellowish dried grass is merely dormant and will revive during the next rainy season. Grayish dried grass is usually dead.

IMO it's time to move past the "assistant general manager". Call back and ask for the big dog...You should be out zero dollars, they need to do more then overseed and hope for the best. Also, you'll need to water the seed if it comes to that and they to make you whole for the extra water cost...

Just keep asking for the boss if the person you are talking too doesn't give you what you want.

Just one of the many reasons I try to do things myself, if at all possible. I usually end up paying less, saving time, and getting better results!

Sounds like some real experts on here.
How do I get rid of Creeping Charlie? Neighbor and garden supply guy said use Weed BGone chickweed killer. Might have slowed it down a little but didn't kill it. To many applications and the grass starts looking sick. Pulling it out seems to make it come back in two fold.
I surrendered to it this year, but want to get it all out next year.

What a great thread!
Makes me deliriously happy about my move to a condo two years ago. Our lawn contractor does a wonderful job and all I have to do is watch. :dance:

What a great thread!
Makes me deliriously happy about my move to a condo two years ago. Our lawn contractor does a wonderful job and all I have to do is watch. :dance:

LOL, dont rub it in! Today was a day of disappointments,
Found out they have a trailer park in Key west, Before I could google it, some one burst my bubble that the plot is probably 350K , hahaha.
I thought my YTD progress was great at over 10 %, just looked some guy is over 20 %.

Get your money back, continue your previous do it yourself schedule but direct some teenager to do it for some cash.

IMO it's time to move past the "assistant general manager". Call back and ask for the big dog...You should be out zero dollars, they need to do more then overseed and hope for the best. Also, you'll need to water the seed if it comes to that and they to make you whole for the extra water cost...

Just keep asking for the boss if the person you are talking too doesn't give you what you want.

I made a follow up call, Im waiting to hear back.

Can you just turn that area into a garden? If you do it right it can be fairly low maintenance and better habitat for birds and pollinators.

Kill weeds? My neighbor behind us is a climate scientist and dug up all his grass and is growing weeds to recreate a prairie for the bees and butterflies. This is becoming the new normal for yards. Where are the naturalists here? All that chemical stuff you put on your lawn goes into the water system. My DH still believes a green lawn with perfect grass is beautiful. I'm starting to like my neighbors yard. Some of the weeds are pretty.

Kill weeds? My neighbor behind us is a climate scientist and dug up all his grass and is growing weeds to recreate a prairie for the bees and butterflies. This is becoming the new normal for yards. Where are the naturalists here? All that chemical stuff you put on your lawn goes into the water system. My DH still believes a green lawn with perfect grass is beautiful. I'm starting to like my neighbors yard. Some of the weeds are pretty.

"A weed is a flower in the wrong place,
a flower is a weed in the right place,
if you were a weed in the right place
you would be a flower;
but seeing as you’re a weed in the wrong place
you’re only a weed –
its high time someone pulled you out."

Ian Emberson

How about xeriscaping?

Once again I had to google the term, the pictures look beautiful. They refunded me the $159 for the over seeding and aeration that I prepaid for. Im sure this lawn is ruined. Im going to suck it up, and do it myself again next year. If by the month of May, it looks terrible, Ill bust out the cash and get new sod, and take care of it till I drop dead from heat stroke.

Once again I had to google the term, the pictures look beautiful. They refunded me the $159 for the over seeding and aeration that I prepaid for. Im sure this lawn is ruined. Im going to suck it up, and do it myself again next year. If by the month of May, it looks terrible, Ill bust out the cash and get new sod, and take care of it till I drop dead from heat stroke.

I love the fact that we don't have to take care of a yard....beautiful sunflowers, xeriscaping, a water feature and desert cacti and grasses. I don't miss the grass or the leaves in the fall!

I love the fact that we don't have to take care of a yard....beautiful sunflowers, xeriscaping, a water feature and desert cacti and grasses. I don't miss the grass or the leaves in the fall!

I paid big buck to get rid of the forest we had in the back yard. I have to rake anyway:mad:, the neighbors unkempt trees keep me busy.

Sorry for the headache. Nothing more frustrating than when you pay someone to do a job and they screw it up. If you have to replace the grass, go with whatever that requires the least amount of maintenance. In my area, a once a year weed and feed is usually enough to have a nice lawn. Surely you can find someone to mow it w/o killing it. No reason to kill yourself over a smallish size yard.

Back
Top Bottom